|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the verb 'S
What does 'S mean as a doing word?
- [nonstandard] are
Other definitions of 'S
What does 'S also mean?
- Possessive marker, indicating than an object belongs to the noun phrase bearing the marker.
- In the absence of a specified object, used to indicate “the house/place/establishment of”.
- Contracted form of us found in the formula let’s used to form first-person plural imperatives. Let’s is now considered as a compound.
- [nonstandard, UK dialect] Contracted form of as in its nonstandard use as a relative pronoun.
- Indicates a purpose or a user.
- [usage problem] Used to form the plurals of numerals, letters, some abbreviations and some nouns, usually because the omission of an apostrophe would make the meaning unclear or ambiguous.
- [obsolete] Used to form plurals of foreign words, to clarify pronunciation, such as “banana’s” or “pasta’s”.
- [proscribed] Used to form the plural of nouns that correctly take just an "s" in the plural. See 'greengrocer’s apostrophe'.