On this page:
Who is Álvaro Cunhal?
álvaro Cunhal a.k.a. Álvaro Cunhal: Álvaro Barreirinhas Cunhal, who used the name Álvaro Cunhal, was a Portuguese communist revolutionary and politician. He was one of the major opponents of the dictatorial regime of Estado Novo. He served as secretary-general of the Portuguese Communist Party from 1961 to 1992. He was one of the most pro-Soviet of all western Europe communist leaders, often supporting the Soviet Union's foreign policies, including the intervention in Czechoslovakia in 1968.
- also known as Alvaro Cunhal
- born on (102 years ago) in Coimbra
- nationality: Portugal
- religion: Atheism
- education: University of Lisbon
- profession: Writer, politician
- died on (10 years ago) in Lisbon
- film written: Cinco dias, cinco noites
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Álvaro Cunhal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: