Who is Žemaitė?
žemaitė a.k.a. Žemaitė – a pen name of Julija Beniuševičiūtė-Žymantienė; 4 June [O.S. 23 May] 1845 in Bukantė near Plungė – 7 December 1921 in Marijampolė was a Lithuanian/Samogitian writer. Born to impoverished gentry, she became one of the major participants in the Lithuanian National Revival. She wrote about peasant life in the style best described as realism.
- also known as Zemaite
- born on (170 years ago) in Plungė District Municipality, child of Antanas Beniuševičius and Julijana Sciepuraitė
- nationality: Russian Empire, Lithuania
- profession: Writer
- Marriage with Laurynas Žymantas since
- parent of Antanas Žymantas
- died on (94 years ago) in Marijampolė
- written works: "Daughter-in-Law", "Topilys", "Petras Kurmelis", "Sutkai", "Good Head", "Autumn Evening"
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Žemaitė
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: