-MAN appears in the following tongue twisters:
- A lady sees a pot-mender at work at his barrow in the street.
"Are you copper-bottoming 'em, man?"
"No, I'm aluminiuming 'em, Mam."
- There once was a man who had a sister, his name was Mr. Fister. Mr. Fister's sister sold sea shells by the sea shore. Mr. Fister didn't sell sea shells, he sold silk sheets. Mr. Fister told his sister that he sold six silk sheets to six shieks. The sister of Mr. Fister said I sold six shells to six shieks too!
-MAN appears in the following pangram (a sentence using every letter of the alphabet at least once):
- Jack's man found exactly a quarter in the woven zipper bag. (47 letters)
-MAN appears in many palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Name none man.
- Name no one man.
- Eve, man, am Eve!
On this page:
Fun fact! The importance of punctuation: "Woman, without her man, is nothing." / "Woman: Without her, man is nothing."
Fun fact! The plural of "man" is "men", but the plural of "pan" is not "pen".
Definition of -MAN
What does -MAN mean?
- Someone (implied male) who is an expert in an area; e.g. horseman, sportsman.
- Someone (implied male) who is employed or holds a position in an area; e.g lawman, newsman.
- Someone (implied male) who has special characteristics relating to an area, e.g. freeman, iceman, superman.
- In certain cases, someone (implied male) who derives from a particular nationality; e.g. Scotsman, Chinaman.
Phrases with -MAN
View more phrases with the word -MAN in thesaurus!
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for -MAN
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about -MAN
A man should live if only to satisfy his curiosity.
more quotes about -man...
Anagrams of -MAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of -MAN!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of -MAN to see it in context!