14th Dalai Lama
On this page:
Who is 14th Dalai Lama?
The 14th Dalai Lama is the current Dalai Lama, as well as the longest-lived incumbent. Dalai Lamas are the head monks of the Gelug school, the newest of the schools of Tibetan Buddhism. He won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989, and is also well known for his lifelong advocacy for Tibetans inside and outside Tibet.
- also known as Dalai Lama XIV; Lhamo Dondrub; Jetsun Jamphel Ngawang Lobsang Yeshe Tenzin Gyatso; Tenzin Gyatso; H.H. Tenzin Gyatso; Darai Rama 14-sei; The 14th Dalai Lama of Tibet; His Holiness the XIVth Dalai Lama; 14. Dalai-Lama; His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama; 丹增嘉措; བསྟན་འཛིན་རྒྱ་མཚོ་; Lhamo Döndrub; Lhamo Thondup; Lhamo Dhondrup; Dalai Lama XIV Bstan-'dzin-rgya-mtsho; Dalai Lama; Bstan-'dzin-rgya-mtsho Dalai Lama XIV; The Dalai Lama; Yishin Norbu; Kyabgon; Kundun; Tenzin Gyatso His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama; His Holiness The Dalai Lama; The Lama; Bstan-ʼdzin-rgya-mtsho Dalai Lama XIV; Lama Dalai; Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama
- born on (80 years ago) in Taktser, child of Choekyong Tsering and Diki Tsering
- ethnicity: Tibetan people
- nationality: China, Republic of China
- religion: Tibetan Buddhism, Buddhism
- profession: Writer, philosopher, lama, actor
- written works: "The World of Tibetan Buddhism", "Mind in Comfort and Ease: The Vision of Enlightenment in the Great Perfection", "The Compassionate Life", "The Art of Happiness", "A Simple Path", "Freedom in Exile", "The Power of Buddhism", "How to See Yourself as You Really Are", "An Open Heart", "Love, Kindness and Universal Responsibility", "Ancient Wisdom, Modern World", "Opening the Mind and Generating Good Heart", "Essential Teachings", "Creeds of Our Times", "Dialogues on Universal Responsibility and Education", "Transforming the Mind", "Widening the Circle of Love", "The Marriage of East and West", "How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life", "Advice from Buddha Shakyamuni", "Happiness in the Material World", "The Path to Enlightenment", "The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus", "The Dalai Lama's Little Book of Wisdom", "The Many Ways to Nirvana", "Generous wisdom", "Kalachakra Tantra: Rite of Initiation", "Beyond Religion: Ethics for a Whole World", "MindScience: An East-West Dialogue", "Sleeping, dreaming, and dying", "The Heart of Compassion: A Practical Approach to a Meaningful Life", "Tibetan Portrait: The Power of Compassion", "Practicing Wisdom: The Perfection of Shantideva's Bodhisattva Way", "Imagine All the People: A Conversation with the Dalai Lama on Money, Politics, and Life as it Could Be", "Opening the Eye of New Awareness", "The Leader's Way", "Living Wisdom with His Holiness the Dalai Lama", "How to Expand Love: Widening the Circle of Loving Relationships", "The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality", "Healing Anger", "Journey Across Tibet", "Dimensions of spirituality", "The Four Noble Truths", "Answers", "Cuatro Nobles Verdades, Las", "La Visione Interiore", "365 Dalai Lama", "Compasion y no violencia", "La Fuerza del Budismo", "Live in a Better Way"
- some of the awards:
- Ramon Magsaysay Award for Community Leadership
- Nobel Peace Prize
- Four Freedoms Award
- World Security Annual Peace Award
- Life Achievement Award
- International League for Human Rights Award
- Jaime Brunet Prize for Human Rights
- Congressional Gold Medal
- Honorary degree (chemistry and pharmacy at University of Münster)
- Honorary degree (Southern Cross University)
- Inaugural Hofstra University Guru Nanak Interfaith Prize (Hofstra University, NYC)
- Honorary degree (Lehigh University)
- Honorary degree (Philosophy at London Metropolitan University)
- Honorary degree (Humane Letter at University of Washington)
- German Media Prize Berlin
- Ján Langoš Human Rights Award (Bratislava, Slovakia)
- Lantos Human Rights Prize
- Honorary degree (University of Calgary)
- Hanno R. Ellenbogen Citizenship Award (Prague)
- International Freedom Conductor Award (Cincinnati, Ohio)
- Honorary degree (Laws at Miami University)
- Honorary degree (Humane Letters at University of Minnesota, Twin Cities)
- Honorary degree (Oriental studies at University of Tartu)
- Honorary degree (University of Arkansas)
- Honorary degree (Doctor of Humane Letters at Southern Methodist University)
- Templeton Prize (Religion-related at St Paul's Cathedral)
- Honorary degree (Humane Letters at University of Maryland, College Park)
- official website: www.dalailama.com
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for 14th Dalai Lama
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
An Encyclopedia of Life in the Republic by Arnold P. Kaminsky, Roger D. Long Ph.D.
See Newspapers, Indian-Language ✦ DALAI LAMA, 14TH The 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso (Bstan 'dzin rgya mtsho, b. 1935), was the political and ...
by Jonathan H. X. Lee, Kathleen M. Nadeau
Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama. ( Shutterstock).
by John Powers, David Templeman
The 14th Dalai Lama is awarded the U.S. Congressional Medal of Honor. China denounces this as “gross interference in ...
Encyclopedia of Monasticism (2013)
by William M. Johnston
Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama. Photo courtesy of John Powers Nonviolence ,” entered into with the Monastic Interreligious Dialogue (MID) under the leadership of Abbot Thomas Keating (1923-). The Dalai Lama and MID coauthored this ...
by James B. Minahan
The communist authorities launched an invasion of Tibet, forcing the 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, and at least 87,000 refugees into ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for 14th Dalai Lama
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about 14th Dalai Lama
H.H. the 14th Dalai Lama
Photo credit: www.sophistry.fm
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of 14th Dalai Lama to see it in context!