On this page:
Definition of the noun 2-hydroxybenzoic acid
What does 2-hydroxybenzoic acid mean as a name of something?
- a white crystalline substance with a bitter aftertaste; used as a fungicide or in making aspirin or dyes or perfumes
- lexical domain: Substances - nouns denoting substances
- synonym of 2-hydroxybenzoic acid: salicylic acid
- more generic term: hydroxy acid = any acid that has hydroxyl groups in addition to the hydroxyl group in the acid itself
- substance of: acetylsalicylic acid / aspirin = the acetylated derivative of salicylic acid; used as an analgesic anti-inflammatory drug usually taken in tablet form; used as an antipyretic
2-hydroxybenzoic Acid a.k.a. Salicylic acid is a monohydroxybenzoic acid, a type of phenolic acid and a beta hydroxy acid. This colorless crystalline organic acid is widely used in organic synthesis and functions as a plant hormone. It is derived from the metabolism of salicin. In addition to being an important active metabolite of aspirin, which acts in part as a prodrug to salicylic acid, it is probably best known for its use as a key ingredient in topical anti-acne products. The salts and esters of salicylic acid are known as salicylates.
- also known as 水楊酸
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for 2-Hydroxybenzoic Acid
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Iit Objective Chemistry (2008)
by Arun Syamal
2-Hydroxybenzoic acid is a stronger acid than ...
by Jack Cazes
36 84 2-Hydroxybenzoic acid (salicylic acid) Silica gel or Fe(IlI)- impregnated silica gel or aluminum oxide Tap water 4-Hydroxybenzoic acid Silica gel or Fe(III)-impregnated silica gel or aluminum oxide Tap water 3,4,5- Trimethoxybenzoic ...
by Peter J. Gosling
Also termed: 2-HYDROXYBENZOIC ACID. saline (chemistry) Salty; describing a SOLUTION of SODIUM CHLORIDE (COMMON SALT). saliva (biochemistry) NEUTRAL or slightly ALKALINE FLUID secreted by the salivary GLANDS in the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for 2-Hydroxybenzoic Acid
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of 2-Hydroxybenzoic Acid to find many related words and phrases!