On this page:
"20th-century" a.k.a. "Twentieth Century" is a 1934 American screwball comedy film. Much of the film is set on the 20th Century Limited train as it travels from Chicago to New York. The film was directed by Howard Hawks, stars John Barrymore and Carole Lombard, and features Walter Connolly, Roscoe Karns and Edgar Kennedy. Ben Hecht and Charles MacArthur adapted their Broadway play of the same name – itself based on the unproduced play Napoleon of Broadway by Charles Bruce Millholland – with uncredited contributions from Gene Fowler and Preston Sturges.
- also known as 20th Century, Den store scene
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, German Language
- producer: Howard Hawks
- executive producer: Harry Cohn
- written by Ben Hecht, Charles MacArthur, Gene Fowler & Preston Sturges
- based on a story by Charles Bruce Millholland, Charles MacArthur, Ben Hecht
- Carole Lombard as Lily Garland
- John Barrymore as Oscar Jaffee
- Ralph Forbes as George Smith
- Walter Connolly as Oliver Webb
- Charles Lane as Max Jacobs aka Max Mandelbaum
- Pat Flaherty as Flannigan
- Roscoe Karns as Owen O'Malley
- Etienne Girardot as Mathew J. Clark
- Dale Fuller as Sadie
- Edgar Kennedy as Oscar McGonigle
- Billie Seward as Anita
- cinematography by Joseph H. August
- edited by Gene Havlick
- music by Louis Silvers, Howard Jackson, Harry M. Woods
- costume design by Robert Kalloch
- location: Chicago
- genres: Romance Film, Screwball comedy, Romantic comedy, Comedy
- released on (81 years ago)
- "20th-century" a.k.a. "20th Century", also known as The Best of 3X Krazy, is the first compilation album released by 3X Krazy. It was released on October 10, 2000 and was a double CD.
- genre: Hip hop music
- released on (15 years ago)
- "20th-century" a.k.a. "20th Century" is a cataloged instance, composition.
- "20th-century" a.k.a. "20th Century" is a musical single of Brad.
- released in (22 years ago)
- "20th-century" a.k.a. "20th Century" is a musical album of John Sykes.
20th-century a.k.a. 20th Century: A cocktail created in 1937 by a British bartender named C.A. Tuck, and named in honor of the celebrated Twentieth Century Limited train which ran between New York City and Chicago from 1902 until 1967. The recipe was first published in 1937 in the Café Royal Cocktail Book by William J. Tarling, President of the United Kingdom Bartenders' Guild and head bartender at the Café Royal.
20th-century a.k.a. The 20th century was the period between January 1, 1901 and December 31, 2000, inclusive. It was the tenth and last century of the 2nd millennium. It is distinct from the century known as the 1900s, which began on January 1, 1900 and ended December 31, 1999.
- also known as 20世纪
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for 20th-Century
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Tiffany K. Wayne
Gandhi was a 20th-century Indian leader and peace activist who was influenced by the writings of Transcendentalist naturalist-poet Henry David THOREAU. Sources differ on how and when ...
Volume 21: Art and Architecture by Judith H. Bonner, Estill Curtis Pennington
Consequently, 20th-century houses differed immensely from 19thcentury houses in scale and floor plan. Southern housing of the early 20th century can be divided into two categories—those free from historical precedents and those that rely ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for 20th-Century
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about 20th-Century
The 20th century taught us how far unbridled evil can and will go when the world fails to confront it. It is time that we heed the lessons of the 20th century and stand up to these murderers. It is time that we end genocide in the 21st century. (Allyson Schwartz)
more quotes about 20th-century...
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of 20th-Century to see it in context!