On this page:
Definition of 23 Skidoo
What does 23 Skidoo mean?
- [idiomatic, archaic] [chiefly US] [definition c. 1908-1923] To leave, particularly quickly or at an advantageous time.
- [idiomatic, archaic] [chiefly US] [definition c. 1908-1923] To be forced to leave quickly.
23 Skidoo are a British band playing a fusion of industrial, post-punk, alternative dance, rock, and world music. The group was named after an early 20th-century American slang phrase that later made appearances in the works of Aleister Crowley, William S. Burroughs, Robert Anton Wilson, and filmmaker Julian Biggs.
- genres: Industrial music, Experimental music, Funk
- albums: "Ethics", "23", "Seven Songs", "The Culling Is Coming", "Urban Gamelan", "Language", "Just Like Everybody", "The Gospel Comes to New Guinea", "Tearing Up the Plans", "Coup", "23 Skidoo vs. The Assassins With Soul"
- official website: www.23skidoo.co
"23 Skidoo" is a musical album of The Parka Kings.
- released on (20 years ago)
"23 Skidoo" is a 1964 short experimental black-and-white film by Julian Biggs, produced by the National Film Board of Canada. Its central images are "eerie" and "disturbing" scenes of downtown Montreal devoid of people.
- countries: United Kingdom, Canada
- language: English Language
- producer: Julian Biggs
- executive producer: Guy Glover
- cinematography by Paul Leach
- edited by Julian Biggs & Kathleen Shannon
- location: Montreal
- released in (52 years ago)
- BAFTA Award for Best Short Film nomination for Julian Biggs
- BAFTA United Nations Award
23 skidoo is an American slang phrase popularized during the early 20th century, first attested before World War I and becoming popular during the 1920s. It generally refers to leaving quickly, being forced to leave quickly by someone else, or taking advantage of a propitious opportunity to leave, that is, "getting [out] while the getting's good." The exact origin of the phrase is uncertain.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for 23 Skidoo
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Colin Larkin
Franglen and Deakin were childhood friends but did not form Lemon Jelly until 1997, after attending a 23 Skidoo concert. Before this, Franglen composed commercial music for adverts for clients such as Sony Playstation and Sega and ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for 23 Skidoo
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about 23 Skidoo
Snub23: 23 Skidoo
quality screenprints available at: snub23.com/shop/
**video coming soon**
Photo credit: eddiedangerous
Video language resources about 23 Skidoo
Click on an item to play that video:
View more videos about 23 Skidoo Street.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of 23 Skidoo to find many related words and phrases!