On this page:
"400 Blows" a.k.a. "The 400 Blows" is a 1959 French drama film, the debut by director François Truffaut; it stars Jean-Pierre Léaud, Albert Rémy, and Claire Maurier. One of the defining films of the French New Wave, it displays many of the characteristic traits of the movement. Written by Truffaut and Marcel Moussy, the film is about Antoine Doinel, a misunderstood adolescent in Paris who is thought by his parents and teachers to be a troublemaker. Filmed on location in Paris and Honfleur, it is the first in a series of five films in which Léaud plays the semi-autobiographical character. The second is the short film Antoine and Colette.
- also known as Les Quatre Cents Coups, Les quatres-cents coups, 四百击, Los 400 golpes, The Four Hundred Blows, 400 Ha-Malkot, 400 batów, 400 kepposta, 400 spratt, 400 udaraca, Czterysta batów, De 400 slagen, De vierhonderd slagen, I quattrocento colpi, Les 400 coups, Los cuatrocientos golpes, Négyszáz csapás, Os Incompreendidos, Os quatrocentos Golpes, På vei mot livet, Sie küßten und sie schlugen ihn, Ta 400 ktypimata, Ung flugt
- country: France
- languages: French, English Language
- producer: François Truffaut
- written by François Truffaut & Marcel Moussy
- based on a story by François Truffaut & Marcel Moussy
- Jean-Pierre Léaud as Antoine Doinel
- Claire Maurier as Gilberte Doinel
- Albert Rémy as Julien Doinel
- Guy Decomble as Sourpuss
- Georges Flamant as Mr. Bigey
- Patrick Auffay as René
- Jean-Claude Brialy as Man trying to pick up woman looking for her dog
- Marius Laurey as L'inspecteur Cabanel
- Jacques Demy as Policeman
- Jeanne Moreau as Woman looking for her dog
- Daniel Couturier as Bertrand Mauricet
- Robert Beauvais as Director of the school
- Richard Kanayan as Child
- Claude Mansard as Examining Magistrate
- Pierre Repp as The English Teacher
- cinematography by Henri Decaë
- edited by Marie-Josèphe Yoyotte
- music by Jean Constantin
- set decoration by Bernard Evein
- genres: Crime Fiction, Film à clef, Drama, Coming-of-age story, Biographical film, Family
- rating: G
- released on (56 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay nomination for Marcel Moussy & François Truffaut
- Cannes Best Director Award, received by François Truffaut
- Bodil Award for Best Non-American Film, received by François Truffaut
- French Syndicate of Cinema Critics Award for Best French Film, received by François Truffaut
"400 Blows" is a musical EP of Mao.
- released in
- 400 Blows were a British industrial/post punk band founded in 1981.
- 400 Blows is a Los Angeles-based band, formed in 1997, and is signed to Gold Standard Laboratories. The group's sound incorporates elements of hardcore punk and heavy metal, and their live shows have been noted for their ferocity. After 3.19.98 in 1999, in 2000 the band released Black Rainbow, and their third LP was 2006's Angel's Trumpets and Devil's Trombones.
- albums: "Black Rainbow", "Angel's Trumpets and Devil's Trombones"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for 400 Blows
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Introduction to Film (2016)
by Nick Lacey
The 400 Blows is a semi-autobiographical lm and it leaves out one key gure in Truffaut's life, the father gure of André Bazin. Truffaut went on to make three more lms in what became the Doinel cycle, all employing Jean-Pierre Léaud: the short ...
by Ryan Uytdewilligen
Antoine (Jean Pierre Léaud, The 400 Blows) Definitive, powerful, and solidifying the French New Wave, The 400 Blows is a masterpiece about growing when you' re unwanted and unloved. It's shocking that something crafted so well was the ...
by Michael Shally-Jensen
Some of the films that illustrate childhood psychopathology include The Butcher Boy, Forbidden Games, Fanny and Alexander, The 400 Blows, The Best Little Girl in the World, Lord of the Flies, The Tin Drum, The Wild Child, Every Man for ...
by Joseph Childers
Truffaut's The 400 Blows (Les Quatre Cent Coups), Chabrol's The Cousins (Les Cousins), ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for 400 Blows
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of 400 Blows to see it in context!