A Chinese Ghost Story
On this page:
- "A Chinese Ghost Story" is a 1987 Hong Kong romantic comedy horror film starring Leslie Cheung, Joey Wong, and Wu Ma, directed by Ching Siu-tung, and produced by Tsui Hark. The plot was loosely based on a short story from Qing Dynasty writer Pu Songling's Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, and also inspired by the 1960 Shaw Brothers Studio film The Enchanting Shadow. The film was popular in Hong Kong and several Asian countries, including South Korea and Japan when released. Most notably it boosted the stardom of Joey Wong, won Leslie Cheung popularity in Japan, and sparked a trend of folklore ghost films in the Hong Kong film industry, including two sequels, an animated film, a television series and a 2011 remake.
- also known as Sien nui yau wan
- country: Hong Kong
- languages: Yue Chinese, Cantonese, Standard Chinese
- producer: Tsui Hark
- art direction by Yee Chung-Man
- written by Yun Kai-chi
- based on "Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio" by Pu Songling
- cinematography by Wing-Hung Wong, Moon-Tong Lau, Hang-Sang Poon
- edited by David Wu
- music by James Wong, Wong Jim, Romeo Díaz
- genres: Horror, Martial Arts Film, Action Film, Fantasy, Romance Film, World cinema, Action/Adventure, Romantic fantasy, Fantasy Adventure, Chinese Movies, Horror comedy, Comedy
- released on (28 years ago)
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Art Direction nomination for Yee Chung-Man
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Film nomination for Tsui Hark
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Actress nomination for Joey Wong
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Supporting Actor nomination for Wu Ma
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Director nomination for Ching Siu-tung
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Hang-Sang Poon, Moon-Tong Lau, Wing-Hung Wong & Ka Ko Lee
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Film Editing (SNS Group)
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Original Film Song (For the song "Lai Ming Bat Yiu Loi" ('Daybreak Doesn't Arrive')) nomination for Sally Yeh & Wong Jim
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Original Film Song (For the song "Sin Nui Yau Wan" ('Sien Female Ghost')) nomination for Leslie Cheung & Wong Jim
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Original Film Song (For the song "Do" ('Tao')) nomination for Wong Jim
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Original Film Score nomination for Lok Man Tai & Wong Jim
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Action Choreography nomination for Alan Chui Chung San, Chi-Ho Lau, Ching Siu-tung
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Art Direction, received by Yee Chung-Man
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Original Film Song (For the song "Lai Ming Bat Yiu Loi" ('Daybreak Doesn't Arrive')), received by Sally Yeh & Wong Jim
- Hong Kong Film Award for Best Original Film Score, received by Wong Jim & Lok Man Tai
- "A Chinese Ghost Story", also known as A Chinese Fairy Tale, is a 2011 fantasy-supernatural film directed by Wilson Yip, starring Louis Koo, Liu Yifei, Yu Shaoqun, Kara Hui, Louis Fan, and Wang Danyi Li. The film is adapted from one of the tales in Pu Songling's Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio, a collection of supernatural stories set in ancient China.
A Chinese Ghost Story is a horror film series.
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for A Chinese Ghost Story
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Richard B. Armstrong, Mary Willems Armstrong
Indeed, New York Times film critic Walter Goodman described ¡987's A Chinese Ghost Story as “98 minutes of bounding and bouncing, flying and flailing, slashing and slaying.” The plot revolves around two travelers who take refuge from a storm in a haunted temple. During the night, they encounter a beautiful, seductive ghost and the aforementioned Tree Devil. The equally imaginative sequel, ...
Ali Baba to Zombies by R. G. Young
Luke Chan D: Phil Rosen SCR: George Callahan, from characters created by Earl Derr Biggers PHOTOG: Ira Morgan Minor "Chan" mystery-thriller: Asian figurine holds key to diamond smuggling and murder The Chinese Cat: SIDNEY TOLER AND BENSON FONG A Chinese Ghost Story 1987, (Hong Kong), color. 93 mins. W: Leslie Cheung, Wong Tsu Hsien, Wu Ma D: Ching Siu Tung Standard fantasy: Spectre seduces scholar A Chinese Ghost Story II 1990. (Hong Kong), color.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Chinese Ghost Story
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: