A Great Day in Harlem
On this page:
"A Great Day in Harlem" or Harlem 1958 is a 1958 black and white group portrait of 57 notable jazz musicians photographed in front of a brownstone in Harlem, New York City. The photo has remained an important object in the study of the history of jazz.
- taken on (57 years ago)
- artist: Art Kane
- genre: Portrait
- subjects: Red Allen, Buster Bailey, Count Basie, Emmett Berry, Art Blakey, Lawrence Brown, Scoville Browne, Buck Clayton, Bill Crump, Vic Dickenson, Roy Eldridge, Art Farmer, Bud Freeman, Dizzy Gillespie, Tyree Glenn, Benny Golson, Sonny Greer, Johnny Griffin, Gigi Gryce, Coleman Hawkins, Chubby Jackson, Hilton Jefferson, Milt Hinton, J. C. Heard, J. C. Higginbotham, Jo Jones, Osie Johnson, Hank Jones, Max Kaminsky, Taft Jordan, Jimmy Jones, Gene Krupa, Eddie Locke, Charles Mingus, Marian McPartland, Miff Mole, Thelonious Monk, Gerry Mulligan, Oscar Pettiford, Luckey Roberts, Rudy Powell, Jimmy Rushing, Sonny Rollins, Pee Wee Russell, Sahib Shihab, Zutty Singleton, Horace Silver, Stuff Smith, Joe Thomas, Maxine Sullivan
"A Great Day in Harlem" is a 1994 American documentary film directed by Jean Bach about the photograph of the same name. It was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- genres: Documentary film, History, Music
- released on (21 years ago)
- award: - Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature nomination for Jean Bach
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Great Day in Harlem
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Serket's Movies (2009)
Commentary and Trivia on 444 Movies by Cory Hamblin
A Great Day in Harlem is a black–and-white portrait of jazz musicians in Harlem, taken by Art Kane in 1958. The Terminal set was built in a massive hangar at the LA/Palmdale Regional Airport. Most exterior shots and those featuring actual ...
by Mwalimu J. Shujaa, Kenya J. Shujaa
Perhaps the most famous of all jazz photographs is Art Kane's photo “A Great Day in Harlem,” which was shot in 1958 and featured 57 ...
by John S. Davis
August: Fifty-seven jazz greats gather for Esquire's famous picture, “A Great Day in Harlem.” 3 October: Jimmy Lyons presents ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Great Day in Harlem
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about A Great Day in Harlem
A Great Day in Harlem
Photo credit: Raw Herring
Quotes about A Great Day in Harlem
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'a great day in harlem"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of A Great Day in Harlem to see it in context!