A Guy Named Joe
On this page:
"A Guy Named Joe" is a 1943 film released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, directed by Victor Fleming, produced by Everett Riskin, from a screenplay by Dalton Trumbo, adapted by Frederick Hazlitt Brennan from a story by Chandler Sprague and David Boehm. It starred Spencer Tracy, Irene Dunne and Van Johnson, with Esther Williams in a minor role. Musically, it featured the popular song "I'll Get By" by Fred Ahlert and Roy Turk, sung by Ms. Dunne.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- art direction by Cedric Gibbons
- written by Dalton Trumbo & David Boehm
- cinematography by Karl Freund & George J. Folsey
- edited by Frank Sullivan
- music by Herbert Stothart
- set decoration by Edwin B. Willis
- location: Glendale
- genres: Black-and-white, Fantasy, War film, Romantic fantasy, Heaven-Can-Wait Fantasies, Romance Film
- subjects: World War II, Aviation
- tagline: A GUY - A GAL - A PAL - It's Swell!
- released on (71 years ago)
- award: - Academy Award for Best Story nomination for Chandler Sprague & David Boehm
"A Guy Named Joe" is a composition.
- music and lyrics by Harlan Howard
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Guy Named Joe
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Encyclopedia of Heaven (2015)
by Miriam Van Scott
GUY NAMED JOE, A Spencer Tracy stars as aWorld War II pilot killed in action in the1943 film A Guy Named Joe (a reference to the slang that a “Joe” is a “good guy”). Unable to enjoy paradise due to “unfinished business” back on earth, Tracy ...
Sixth Edition by David Thomson
A Guy Named Joe (43, ...
Dictionary of Film Makers (1972)
by Georges Sadoul, Peter Morris
for Victor Fleming, A Guy Named Joe (43); for Mervyn LeRoy, Thirty Seconds over Tokyo ( 44); for Roy Rowland, Our Vines Have Tender Grapes (45); for Gustav Machaty, ...
The Encyclopedia of Angels (2004)
by Rosemary Guiley
A Guy Named Joe (1943) adds patriotism to the angelic agenda of assisting humans through bereavement. Joe, a pilot—played by Spencer Tracy—dies and becomes the GUARDIAN ANGEL of new pilots during World War II, including a rival ...
by Steven R. Serafin, Alfred Bendixen
's best-known work concerned the bravery of American soldiers during World War II, including the films A Guy Named Joe. with Spencer Tracy as the ghost of a combat pilot who returns to guide Van Johnson, a novice flyer, released ...
Ali Baba to Zombies by R. G. Young
Batley Standard historical melodrama: Catholic conspirator foiled in at-tempt to blow up parliament A Guy Named Joe 1943. (USA). MGM. b&w. 120 mins.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Guy Named Joe
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the pronunciation of A Guy Named Joe to learn how to say it correctly!