A History of Christianity
On this page:
- "A History of Christianity" is a historical study of the Christian religion written by British journalist and author Paul Johnson. The book was published in 1976 and aims to be a factual comprehensive history of the Christian religion. Johnson, a Roman Catholic, takes the view that "During these two millennia Christianity has, perhaps, proved more influential in shaping human destiny than any other institutional philosophy, but there are now signs that its period of predominance is drawing to a close, thereby inviting a retrospect and a balance sheet.". He argues for the need to focus on an unbiased factual history: "Christianity is essentially a historical religion. It bases its claims on the historical facts it asserts. If they are demolished it is nothing." "A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts.
- genre: History
- subject: Christianity
- "A history of Christianity" is a book by Kenneth Scott Latourette.
- also known as "The history of Japan"; "A short history of the Far East"; "The history of early relations between the United States and China, 1784-1844"; "A history of the expansion of Christianity"
- "A history of Christianity" is a book by Kurt Aland.
- "A history of Christianity" is a book by Donald W Treadgold.
- "A history of Christianity" is a book by Owen Chadwick.
A History Of Christianity is a six-part British television series originally broadcast on BBC Four in 2009. The series was presented by Diarmaid MacCulloch and was repeated on BBC Two in 2010.
- begun on (5 years ago)
- country: United Kingdom
- regular cast: Diarmaid MacCulloch
- genre: Documentary film
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A History of Christianity
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, 2nd Edition [6 volumes] (2010)
A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices by J. Gordon Melton, Martin Baumann
A History of Christianity in Africa: From Antiquity to the Present.
by Ans Joachim van der Bent
Christianity in a Revolutionary Age: A History of Christianity in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Vols. III and V. New York: Harper, 1961–1962. Macfarland, Charles S. International ...
by Erwin Fahlbusch
MOFFETT, A History of Christianity in Asia, vol. 1, Beginnings to 1500 (2d ed.; Maryknoll, N.Y., 1998) • J. S. OLSEN, An Ethnohistorical Dictionary of the Russian ...
Religious Celebrations: An Encyclopedia of Holidays, Festivals, Solemn Observances, and Spiritual Commemorations [2 volumes] (2011)
An Encyclopedia of Holidays, Festivals, Solemn Observances, and Spiritual Commemorations by J. Gordon Melton
Always Reforming: A History of Christianity since 1300. Athens, GA: Mercer University Press, 2001. Barrett, David, George T. Kurian, and Todd M. Johnson. The Encyclopedia of World Christianity. 2nd ed.
by Everett Ferguson
Moffett,A History of Christianity in Asia(San Francisco: HarperCollins, 1992),Vol1:Beginnings to1500. See also AbaI, Mar; Eznik; Islam and Christianity; ...
by Mark Juergensmeyer, Wade Clark Roof
A history of Christianity in.
by Thomas M. Leonard
The Faith: A History of Christianity. New York: Doubleday, 2002. Shenk, Wilbert R., ed. Enlarging the Story: Perspectives on Writing World Christian History.
For Universal Reference by Joseph Haydn
A History of Christianity, from the Birth of ...
Encyclopedia of Monasticism (2013)
by William M. Johnston
iyoy, Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press, 1984 Neill, Stephen, A History of Christianity in India, iyoy-1858, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A History of Christianity
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about A History of Christianity
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'A History Of Christianity"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1