A Letter To Three Wives
On this page:
"A Letter to Three Wives" is a 1949 American romantic drama film which tells the story of a woman who mails a letter to three women, telling them she has left town with the husband of one of them. It stars Jeanne Crain, Linda Darnell, Ann Sothern, Kirk Douglas, Paul Douglas in his film debut, Jeffrey Lynn, and Thelma Ritter. An uncredited Celeste Holm provides the voice of Addie Ross, the unseen woman who wrote the eponymous letter.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- director: Joseph L. Mankiewicz
- producer: Sol C. Siegel
- art direction by Lyle R. Wheeler & J. Russell Spencer
- written by Joseph L. Mankiewicz & Vera Caspary
- based on "Letter to Five Wives" by John Klempner & Vera Caspary
- cinematography by Arthur Charles Miller
- edited by J. Watson Webb, Jr.
- music by Alfred Newman
- costume design by Kay Nelson
- set decoration by Walter M. Scott & Thomas Little
- genres: Mystery, Romance Film, Romantic comedy, Comedy, Drama
- Promise! You won't peek-and-tell... the ending!
- Addie is the "other woman" all the other women will be talking about!
- All of them wondered which of them wandered!
- It's a sheer delightful revelation!
- released on (65 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Director nomination for Joseph L. Mankiewicz
- Academy Award for Best Picture nomination for Sol C. Siegel & 20th Century Fox
- Academy Award for Best Writing Adapted Screenplay nomination for Joseph L. Mankiewicz
- Academy Award for Best Director, received by Joseph L. Mankiewicz
- Academy Award for Best Writing Adapted Screenplay, received by Joseph L. Mankiewicz
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Letter To Three Wives
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Marcel Danesi
' A Letter to Three Wives (1949).
by Robert Beck
screenwriter, producer, director, won backto-back directing Oscars for A Letter to Three Wives and All About Eve; was likewise nominated for Five Fingers and Sleuth, and for the screenplays of Skippy and The Barefoot Contessa.
by Frank R. Abate
Mankiewicz (A Letter to Three Wives) 1950 Best actor: Jose Ferrer ( Cyrano De Bergerac) Best actress: Judy Holliday (Born Yesterday) Best director: Joseph ...
by Kevin McCann, Mark Diehl
Mankiewicz, A Letter to Three Wives 1950 Joseph L. Mankiewicz 1951 George Stevens, ...
by Richard B. Armstrong, Mary Willems Armstrong
A Letter to Three Wives (¡ 949); ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
Mankiewicz (A Letter to Three Wives) Joseph L. Mankiewicz (All About Eve) George ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Letter To Three Wives
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of A Letter To Three Wives to see it in context!