A Man and a Woman
On this page:
"A Man and a Woman" is a 1966 French film written and directed by Claude Lelouch and starring Anouk Aimée and Jean-Louis Trintignant. Written by Lelouch and Pierre Uytterhoeven, the film is about a young widow and widower who meet by chance at their children's boarding school and whose budding relationship is complicated by the memories of their deceased spouses. The film is notable for its lush photography, which features frequent segues between full color, black-and-white, and sepia-toned shots, and for its memorable musical score by Francis Lai. A Man and a Woman had a total of 4,272,000 admissions in France and was the 6th highest grossing film of the year in that country. In the United States, the film earned $14,000,000. A Man and a Woman won many awards, including the Palme d'Or at the 1966 Cannes Film Festival, and Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film and Best Writing. A sequel, A Man and a Woman: 20 Years Later was released in 1986.
- also known as Un homme et une femme
- country: France
- language: French
- producer: Claude Lelouch
- production design by Robert Luchaire
- written by Claude Lelouch & Pierre Uytterhoeven
- Jean-Louis Trintignant as Jean-Louis Duroc
- Anouk Aimée as Anne Gauthier
- Valérie Lagrange as Valerie Duroc
- Antoine Sire as Antoine Duroc
- Pierre Barouh as Pierre Gauthier
- Souad Amidou as Françoise Gauthier
- Henri Chemin as Jean-Louis' Codriver
- Yane Barry as Mistress of Jean-Louis
- Paul Le Person as Garage Man
- Simone Paris as Head Mistress
- Gerard Sire as Announcer
- cinematography by Claude Lelouch & Patrice Pouget
- edited by Claude Lelouch & Claude Barrois
- music by Francis Lai
- costume design by Richard Marvil
- genres: Romance Film, Comedy-drama, Drama
- released on (49 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Director nomination for Claude Lelouch
- Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay nomination for Pierre Uytterhoeven & Claude Lelouch
- Academy Award for Best Actress (Role: Anne Gauthier) nomination for Anouk Aimée
- Golden Globe Award for Best Director - Motion Picture nomination for Claude Lelouch
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture – Drama (role: Anne Gauthier) nomination for Anouk Aimée
- DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film nomination for Claude Lelouch
- Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film (France)
- Golden Globe Award for Best Original Score nomination for Francis Lai
- National Society of Film Critics Award for Best Actress nomination for Anouk Aimée
- Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film (Country: France; in French) nomination for Claude Lelouch
- Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay, received by Pierre Uytterhoeven & Claude Lelouch
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture – Drama (Role: Anne Gauthier), received by Anouk Aimée
- Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film (France)
- Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film (Country: France; in French), received by Claude Lelouch
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Man and a Woman
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Moral Panics, Sex Panics (2009)
Fear and the Fight over Sexual Rights by Gilbert Herdt
—Michel Foucault, 1961 Marriage between a man and a woman is the pillar of western civilization. —George W. Bush, 2004 The great fear of “gay marriage” in the United States is associated in many people's minds with the radiant faces of ...
From the Revival of the Art Under Cimabue, and the Alledged Discovery of Engraving by Finiguerra, to the Present Time : with the Ciphers, Monograms, and Marks, Used by Each Engraver, and an Ample List of Their Principal Works, Together with Two Indexes, Alphabetical and Chronological, to which is Prefixed, an Introduction, Containing a Brief Account of the Painters of Antiquity by Michael Bryan
A Man and a Woman, ...
by Michael Bryan
Two Beggars, a Man and a Woman, conversing. (Signed b. h. l.) A Beggar sitting on a Hillock. (Signed B. H. L.) A Man standing. (Signed B. H. L.) Profile of a bald Man with a jewelled chain. (Signed B. B. L.) Prollle of a bald ...
Containing a Full and Familiar Explanation of All the Remarkable Words Made Use Of, in the Holy Scriptures, and in the Writings of the Most Eminent and Pious Divines, Whether Ancient Or Modern ... To which is Added, a Brief Explication of All the Proper Names Found in Sacred Scripture ... by John Fleetwood
MARRIAGF, An agreement entered into between a man and a woman, in order to live together in a state of harmony, and promote the interests of each other, whether of a temporal or spiritual nature. - Marriage was instituted by the Lord God, ...
A new law-dictionary containing the interpretation and definition of words and terms used in the law etc (1729)
A Man and a Woman intending to intermarry, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Man and a Woman
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about A Man and a Woman
Click on an item to view that photo:
- A MAN AND A WOMAN
Photo credit: RubyGoes
- A man and a woman
An image used some years ago as an illustration for a deplian.
Photo credit: Davide Restivo
- A Man And A Woman
If only they would put down their cell phones and look what's next to them.
Taken at Hang Hau MTR Station, Hong Kong
Photo credit: Ding Yuin Shan
- Average of a man and a woman
Photo credit: lessThan5pct
- A man and a woman in a boat at dusk (Dili, Timor Leste)
Taken near Beachside Hotel, a few km south of Dili
Photo credit: Kate B Dixon
- Statue of a man and a woman
Photo credit: OxOx
- Postcard depicting a man and a woman playing croquet
No known copyright restrictions. Please credit UBC Library as the image source.
Video about A Man and a Woman
A man and a woman have a deeper meaning.
See also the pronunciation examples of A Man and a Woman!
Anagrams of A MAN AND A WOMAN
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of A Man and a Woman to see it in context!