A Taste Of Honey
On this page:
- "A Taste of Honey" is a 1961 British film adaptation of the play of the same name by Shelagh Delaney. Delaney adapted the screenplay herself, aided by director Tony Richardson, who had previously directed the first production of the play. It is an exemplar of a gritty genre of British film that has come to be called kitchen sink realism and was the inspiration behind the song "Your Mother Should Know", which is on the 1967 album Magical Mystery Tour by The Beatles.
- also known as Bitterer Honig
- country: United Kingdom
- language: English Language
- producer: Tony Richardson
- written by Shelagh Delaney & Tony Richardson
- based on a story by Shelagh Delaney
- cinematography by Walter Lassally
- edited by Antony Gibbs
- music by John Addison
- genres: LGBT, Kitchen sink realism, British New Wave, Indie film, Drama
- released in (54 years ago)
- BAFTA Award for Best British Actress nomination for Dora Bryan
- BAFTA Award for Best Film nomination for Tony Richardson
- BAFTA Award for Best British Film nomination for Tony Richardson
- DGA Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film nomination for Tony Richardson
- Samuel Goldwyn International Award
- BAFTA Award for Best British Screenplay nomination for Shelagh Delaney & Tony Richardson
- BAFTA Award for Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles nomination for Rita Tushingham
- BAFTA Award for Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles nomination for Murray Melvin
- Golden Globe Award for Best New Star of the Year – Actress nomination for Rita Tushingham
- BAFTA Award for Best British Actress, received by Dora Bryan
- BAFTA Award for Best British Film, received by Tony Richardson
- BAFTA Award for Best British Screenplay, received by Tony Richardson & Shelagh Delaney
- Cannes Best Actress Award, received by Rita Tushingham
- Cannes Best Actor Award, received by Murray Melvin
- BAFTA Award for Most Promising Newcomer to Leading Film Roles, received by Rita Tushingham
- BAFTA Award for Best Film, received by Tony Richardson
- Golden Globe Award for Best New Star of the Year – Actress, received by Rita Tushingham
- A Taste of Honey a.k.a. Mitsu no Aji: A Taste of Honey is a Japanese television drama series that premiered on Fuji TV on October 13, 2011. The theme song of the series is "Zutto", by Aiko.
- read more about Mitsu no Aji: A Taste of Honey
"A Taste of Honey" is the first play by the British dramatist Shelagh Delaney, written when she was 18. It was initially intended as a novel, but she turned it into a play because she hoped to revitalise British theatre and to address social issues that she felt were not being presented. The play was first produced by Joan Littlewood's Theatre Workshop and was premiered at the Theatre Royal Stratford East, a small fringe theatre in London, on 27 May 1958. The production then transferred to the larger Wyndham's Theatre in the West End on 10 February 1959. The play was adapted into an award-winning film of the same title in 1961.
- also known as "A taste of honey: a play", taste of honey
- "A Taste of Honey" is a pop standard written by Bobby Scott and Ric Marlow. It was originally an instrumental track written for the 1960 Broadway version of the 1958 British play A Taste of Honey. Both the original and a cover by Herb Alpert in 1965 earned the song four Grammy Awards. A vocal version of the song, first recorded by Lenny Welch, became popular when it was recorded by English rock group the Beatles in 1963.
- "A Taste of Honey": A Taste of Honey is the debut album by the American rhythm and blues group A Taste of Honey. It was produced by Fonce Mizell & Larry Mizell for Sky High Productions and included the number one pop, soul and disco classic "Boogie Oogie Oogie".
- "A Taste of Honey" is a musical album of Martin Denny.
- released in (53 years ago)
Who is A Taste Of Honey?
A Taste of Honey a.k.a. Hazel Payne was a member of the musical group A Taste of Honey.
- read more about Hazel Payne
A Taste of Honey was the name of an American recording act, formed in 1971 by associates Janice-Marie Johnson and Perry Kibble. In 1978, they had one of the best known chart-toppers of the disco era, "Boogie Oogie Oogie". After their popularity waned during the 1980s, Johnson went on to record as a solo artist and released the album One Taste of Honey which produced numerous minor hits. In 2004, singers Hazel Payne and Janice–Marie Johnson reunited for the first time in over 20 years to perform on the PBS specials Get Down Tonight: The Disco Explosion and My Music: Funky Soul Superstars.
- genres: Adult contemporary music, Rhythm and blues, Disco, Pop music, Contemporary R&B
- albums: "Another Taste", "A Taste of Honey", "Anthology", "Beauty and Boogie", "Classic Masters", "Twice as Sweet", "Divas of Disco – Live", "Boogie Oogie Oogie", "Ladies of the Eighties"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Grammy Award for Best New Artist
- Grammy Award for Best New Artist
- nominated to Juno Award for International Single of the Year - "Boogie Oogie Oogie"
- A Taste of Honey is a 1960 theater production of the play by Shelagh Delaney.
- A Taste of Honey is a 1976 theater production.
- A Taste of Honey is a 2014 theater production of the play by Shelagh Delaney.
- A Taste of Honey is a 1981 theater production of the play by Shelagh Delaney.
- some of the awards:
- Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Play nomination for Amanda Plummer
- some of the awards:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Taste Of Honey
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Dictionary of Category Words (2014)
Vocabulary Building by Manik Joshi
Honeyed -- having a taste of Honey 22 .
The vinous hydromel or mead is an agreeable kind of wine: nevertheless it retains long a taste of honey, which is unpleasing to some persons; but this taste it is said to lose entirely by being kept a very long time. The spirituous fermentation of ...
by Claude J. Summers
A Taste of Honey (1961), and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962). Richardson's rise to ...
A Dictionary of Film Studies (2012)
by Annette Kuhn, Guy Westwell
Richardson's A Taste of Honey (1961) and The Loneliness of the Long ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Taste Of Honey
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about A Taste Of Honey
Click on an item to view that photo:
- A Taste of Honey
Photo credit: johnrobertshepherd
- A Taste of Honey
Great play, great film and great art from Stephen Broadhurst. Set in Salford.
Photo credit: Smabs Sputzer
- A Taste of Honey
Photo credit: Hollywata
- Decor 'a taste of honey'
Photo credit: Tanja de Bie
- "A Taste of Honey", Tim Sullivan
Photo credit: JoeInSouthernCA
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of A Taste Of Honey to see it in context!