A Thousand Clowns
On this page:
"A Thousand Clowns" is a 1965 film adaptation from a 1962 play by Herb Gardner, and directed by Fred Coe. It tells the story of an eccentric comedy writer who is forced to conform to society to retain legal custody of his nephew.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Fred Coe
- written by Herb Gardner
- based on "A Thousand Clowns" by Herb Gardner
- cinematography by Arthur Ornitz
- edited by Ralph Rosenblum
- music by Gerry Mulligan
- costume design by Ruth Morley
- location: New York City
- genres: Comedy-drama, Comedy
- released on (49 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Picture nomination for Fred Coe
- Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Role: Arnold Burns) nomination for Martin Balsam
- Academy Award for Best Writing Adapted Screenplay nomination for Herb Gardner
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy nomination for Jason Robards Jr.
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy nomination for Barbara Harris
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy nomination for Fred Coe
- Academy Award for Best Original Music Score nomination for Don Walker
- Academy Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Role: Arnold Burns), received by Martin Balsam
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Thousand Clowns
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by William Safire
A thousand clowns, a thousand days—a hundred wasn't enough and a million is too many. Noonan chronicled the results of searching for the phrase's origins. Suggestions ranged from a Nazi hymnbook to citations from C.S. Lewis and a letter ...
Encyclopedia of Jewish Food (2010)
by Gil Marks
The 1962 play A Thousand Clowns by Herb Gardner contains the memorable line, "People fall into two distinct categories, Miss Markowitz; people who like delicatessen, and people who don't like delicatessen. A man who is not ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
Martin Balsam (A Thousand Clowns) Walter Matthau ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Thousand Clowns
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about A Thousand Clowns
Heading to the Parade of a Thousand Clowns
Photo credit: diaper