A Tribe Called Quest
On this page:
- A Tribe Called Quest a.k.a. Q-Tip: Kamaal Ibn John Fareed, better known by his stage name Q-Tip, is an American rapper and record producer from St. Albans, Queens, New York. He embarked on his music career as part of the critically acclaimed East Coast hip hop group A Tribe Called Quest. John Bush of AllMusic called him "the best rapper/producer in hip-hop history," while editors of About.com placed him on their list of the Top 50 Hip-Hop Producers, as well as placing him on their list of the Top 50 MCs of Our Time. In 2012, The Source ranked him #20 on their list of the Top 50 Lyricists of All Time.
- read more about Q-Tip
- A Tribe Called Quest was an American hip hop group that was formed in 1985, and is composed of MC/producer Q-Tip, MC Phife Dawg aka Phife Diggy, and DJ/producer Ali Shaheed Muhammad. A fourth member, rapper Jarobi White, left the group after their first album in 1991. He continued to contribute to the band sporadically before rejoining for their 2006 reunion. Along with De La Soul, the group was a central part of the Native Tongues Posse, and enjoyed the most commercial success out of all the groups to emerge from that collective. Many of their songs, such as "Bonita Applebum", "Can I Kick It?", "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo", "Scenario", "Check the Rhime", "Jazz", "Award Tour" and "Electric Relaxation" are regarded as classics by the hip hop community. The group released five albums between 1990 and 1998; it disbanded in 1998. In 2006, the group reunited and toured the US. The group is regarded as iconic pioneers of alternative hip hop music, having helped to pave the way for many innovative artists.
- also known as ATCQ; A Tribe Calle Quest; Tribe Called Quest; Tribe Called Quest, A
- member of musical group Native Tongues Posse
- genres: Alternative hip hop, Jazz rap, Rhythm and blues, Hip hop music, Alternative rock
- albums: "I Left My Wallet in El Segundo", "People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm", "People’s Instinctive Remixes", "The Low End Theory", "Midnight Marauders", "Revised Quest for the Seasoned Traveller", "Beats, Rhymes and Life", "1nce Again", "Stressed Out", "The Jam EP", "The Love Movement", "Find a Way", "Like It Like That / Pad & Pen", "The Anthology", "Hits, Rarities & Remixes", "I C U (Doin’ It)", "Oh My God", "The Lost Demos", "Can I Kick It?", "Bonita Applebum / Mr. Muhammad", "Electric Relaxation (Relax Yourself Girl)", "Shaheedullah and Stereotypes", "The Lost Tribes", "Hot Sex", "The Best of A Tribe Called Quest", "Native Tongues Unreleased & Unleashed", "Award Tour", "Luck of Lucien / Butter", "Scenario", "Jazz (We’ve Got)", "The Collection", "Rumble in the Jungle", "Rare and Unreleased Instrumentals", "Check the Rhime", "1nce Again (Bit Funk remix)"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- nominated to Grammy Award for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group - "1nce Again"
- nominated to Grammy Award for Best Rap Album - "Beats, Rhymes and Life"
- nominated to Grammy Award for Best Rap Album - "The Love Movement"
- official website: atribecalledquest.com/html
- A Tribe Called Quest a.k.a. Ali Shaheed Muhammad is an American hip hop DJ, rapper, producer best known as a member of A Tribe Called Quest. With Q-Tip and Phife Dawg, the group released five studio albums from 1990 to 1998.
- read more about Ali Shaheed Muhammad
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Tribe Called Quest
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Sezai Coban
At theEast Coast, the strongest acts ofthe beginning 1990s were either intellectual formations of, above all, the Native Tongues Posse such as DeLaSoul , A Tribe Called Quest, Black Sheep, the Jungle Brothersorthe Fu-Schnickens orpolitical ...
An Encyclopedia for Students by Anand Prahlad
A Tribe Called Quest or the Jungle Brothers; the “hippy” rap of De La Soul; “ gangster” or “gangsta” rap, exemplified by N.W.A, Schoolly-D, and Ice-T; as well as more and more entries into the already established world of “party” rap by ...
VolumeII: Performance and Production by John Shepherd
A Tribe Called Quest.
Origins, Experiences, and Culture. A-C. Volume 1
A golden age of rap music in the late 1980s elevated a cipher of “conscious” artists including Afrika Bambaataa, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, Public Enemy, Black Sheep, and Brand Nubian creating a membership known as the Native ...
Genres: North America by John Shepherd, David Horn
Discographical References A Tribe Called Quest. The Low End Theory. 274 Genres: North America.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Tribe Called Quest
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about A Tribe Called Quest
Phife Dawg of A Tribe Called Quest
Drawing by John Felix Arnold III
Photo credit: The Microscopic Giant
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of A Tribe Called Quest to see it in context!