A Trip to the Moon
On this page:
- "A Trip to the Moon" is a 1902 French silent film directed by Georges Méliès. Inspired by a wide variety of sources, including Jules Verne's novels From the Earth to the Moon and Around the Moon, the film follows a group of astronomers who travel to the Moon in a cannon-propelled capsule, explore the Moon's surface, escape from an underground group of Selenites, and return with a splashdown to Earth with a captive Selenite. It features an ensemble cast of French theatrical performers, led by Méliès himself in the main role of Professor Barbenfouillis, and is filmed in the overtly theatrical style for which Méliès became famous.
- also known as Viagem à Lua, A Trip to Mars, Cesta na Mesíc, Die Reise zum Mond, Matka kuuhun, Op reis naar de maan, Podróz na ksiezyc, Reisen til månen, Resan till månen, Utazás a Holdba, Viaje a la luna, Viaggio nella Luna, Voyage to the Moon, 月球旅行记, Een avontuur bij de maan
- country: France
- producer: Georges Méliès
- production design by Georges Méliès
- art direction by Claudel
- written by Georges Méliès & Gaston Méliès
- based on "The First Men in the Moon", "From the Earth to the Moon" by Georges Méliès, H. G. Wells, Jules Verne
- cinematography by Lucien Tainguy & Michaut
- edited by Georges Méliès
- music by Octavio Vázquez, Nicolas Godin, Darkel
- costume design by Jehanne d'Alcy
- genres: Silent film, Indie film, Adventure Film, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Drama
- subjects: Moon landing, Exploration of the Moon, Moon
- released on (113 years ago)
- "A Trip to the Moon" a.k.a. "The Astronomer's Dream": The Astronomer's Dream, is a 1898 French short black-and-white silent film, directed by Georges Méliès.
- read more about The Astronomer's Dream
- "A Trip to the Moon" is a short film.
- country: South Korea
- genre: Fantasy
"A trip to the moon" is a book by Tim Furniss.
"A Trip to the Moon" is a composition.
- music by ZUN
A Trip to the Moon is a musical group.
- also known as Trip to the Moon
- album: "I Can Change"
- official website: jazzscore.com/triptothemoon/index.html
A Trip to the Moon was a pioneering early dark ride, best known as the flagship and namesake of Coney Island's Luna Park.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Trip to the Moon
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Themes, Works, and Wonders by Gary Westfahl
A pioneering film, A Trip to the Moon, was made by Georges Melies, loosely based on Verne's and Wells's novels. For many writers the Moon has not been a dead world. Kepler populated the moon with nomadic creatures of monstrous ...
Dictionary of Films (1972)
by Georges Sadoul, Peter Morris
A Trip to the Moon is of considerable significance in the history of the cinema. Its success laid the foundations for the international preeminence of French films until the First World War. More than this, it established the appeal of films with ...
by Marcel Danesi
Lucian of Samosata described a trip to the moon; the seventeenthcentury British prelate and historian Francis Godwin similarly wrote about travel to the moon; Sir Thomas More ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Trip to the Moon
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about A Trip to the Moon
Click on an item to view that photo:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of A Trip to the Moon to see it in context!