A Woman Under The Influence
On this page:
- "A Woman Under the Influence" is a 1974 American drama film written and directed by John Cassavetes. It focuses on a woman whose unusual behavior leads her husband to commit her for psychiatric treatment and the effect this has on their family. It received two Academy Award nominations for Best Actress and Best Director. In 1990, A Woman Under the Influence was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry as being "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", one of the first fifty films to be so honored.
- also known as Eine Frau unter Einfluss
- country: United States of America
- languages: English Language, Italian Language
- producer: Sam Shaw
- art direction by Phedon Papamichael
- written by John Cassavetes
- Peter Falk as Nick Longhetti
- Gena Rowlands as Mabel Longhetti
- Lady Rowlands as Martha Mortensen
- Matthew Laborteaux as Angelo Longhetti
- Katherine Cassavetes as Margaret Longhetti
- Matthew Cassel as Tony Longhetti
- Fred Draper as George Mortensen
- Christina Grisanti as Maria Longhetti
- O.G. Dunn as Garson Cross
- Mario Gallo as Harold Jensen
- Charles Horvath
- John P. Finnegan
- cinematography by Mitch Breit
- edited by David Armstrong & Sheila Viseltear
- music by Bo Harwood
- location: Los Angeles
- genres: Indie film, Romance Film, Drama
- subjects: Psychiatric hospital, Psychiatry, Psychosis
- rating: R (USA)
- released on (41 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Actress (Role: Mabel Longhetti) nomination for Gena Rowlands
- Academy Award for Best Director nomination for John Cassavetes
- Golden Globe Award for Best Director - Motion Picture nomination for John Cassavetes
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture – Drama (role: Mabel Longhetti) nomination for Gena Rowlands
- Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture – Drama nomination for Sam Shaw
- Golden Globe Award for Best Screenplay - Motion Picture nomination for John Cassavetes
- Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture – Drama (Role: Mabel Longhetti), received by Gena Rowlands
- National Board of Review Award for Best Actress, received by Gena Rowlands
- Writers Guild of America Award for Best Original Drama nomination for John Cassavetes
- "A Woman Under the Influence" is a 2013 short film directed by Chu Sang-mi.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A Woman Under The Influence
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Encyclopedia of Rape (2004)
by Merril D. Smith
A woman under the influence of alcohol will often miss telltale signs of a potential assailant's sexually driven behavior. In fact, as many males admit, mindful of alcohol's effects, they have offered alcohol or drugs in order to obtain a woman's ...
by Keith M. Booker
A Woman under the Influence ( 1974, winning Cassavetes an Oscar nomination for Best Director), Opening Night ...
Encyclopedia of Television (2014)
by Horace Newcomb, Lambdin Kay Distinguished Professor for the Peabody Awards Horace Newcomb
1972; A Woman under the Influence, 1974; Mikey and Nicky, ...
by Michael David Bailey
"'A Woman under the Influence': A Case of Alleged Possession ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A Woman Under The Influence
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of A Woman Under The Influence to see it in context!