Definition of A-
What does A- mean?
- [no longer productive] [forming verbs with the sense away, from, out]
- [no longer productive] in, on
- [Appalachian] used in the present participle and sometimes past participle.
- [no longer productive] [representing the Anglo-Saxon intensifying prefix, sometimes with little change in meaning] e.g. aware
- [no longer productive] [forming words with the sense of wholly, out] e.g. abash
- Forming words denoting absence or lack, e.g. abyss, amoral, usually with stems beginning with consonants.