A. James Gregor
On this page:
Who is A. James Gregor?
A. James Gregor: Anthony James Gregor is a Professor of Political Science at the University of California, Berkeley who is well known for his research on fascism, Marxism, and national security. According to Griffin, Gregor was part of a movement of young scholars in the 1960s who rejected the traditional interpretation of fascism as an ideologically empty, reactionary, antimodern dead end. He demonstrated the major debt Italian Fascism owed to European ideological currents in sociology and political theory. Gregor stressed fascism's coherence as a serious theory of state and society, and argued that it played a revolutionary and modernizing role in European history. His theory of generic fascism portrayed it as a form of "developmental dictatorship." Gregor wrote an influential early comprehensive survey of existing theoretical models of fascism. Professor Zeev Sternhell has said of him "Professor Gregor is one of the rare specialists in Italian Fascism to have made a truly original contribution to the study of the subject.
- also known as A. Gregor, Anthony Gimigliano
- born on (86 years ago) in New York City
- ethnicity: Italian American
- nationality: United States of America
- education: PhD (Philosophy) at Columbia University, graduated in
- profession: Historian, political scientist
- written works: "The Faces of Janus", "Arming the dragon", "Mussolini's intellectuals", "The search for neofascism", "A Place in the Sun", "Metascience and Politics"
- award: - Guggenheim Fellowship for Social Sciences, US & Canada (Political Science)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for A. James Gregor
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Robert Benewick, Philip Green
A. James Gregor, The Ideology of Fascism: the Rationale of Totalitarianism, New York, Free Press, 1969. Richard P. Bellamy, Modern Italian Social Theory: Ideology and Politics from Pareto to the Present, Cambridge, Polity Press, 1987.
by Cathal J. Nolan
A. James Gregor, The Faces of Janus: Marxism and Fascism in the Twentieth Century (2000). total war.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for A. James Gregor
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of A. James Gregor for some fun with words!