The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun acres:
On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acres
What does acres mean as a name of something?
- extensive landed property (especially in the country) retained by the owner for his own use
- examples: We own a few hundred acres between the three of us. | The pasture has an area of 10 acres. | The farm includes 160 acres. | The field measures more than 300 acres. | Each year, twenty-seven million acres of the tropical rainforests are destroyed. | You know that two nations are at war about a few acres of snow somewhere around Canada, and that they are spending on this beautiful war more than the whole of Canada is worth. | That pasture is ten acres. | The property must have been nearly a thousand acres all told. | Over the next fifteen years, architects, planners and community developers will work together to transform 346 acres of industrial wasteland into 6,500 homes, two shopping centres, a marina, a primary school and college, and parkland. | There are 640 acres in a square mile.
- lexical domain: Possessions - nouns denoting possession and transfer of possession
- synonyms of acres: demesne / estate / land / landed estate
- more generic terms: immovable / real estate / real property / realty = property consisting of houses and land
- more specific terms:
- freehold = an estate held in fee simple or for life
- glebe = plot of land belonging to an English parish church or an ecclesiastical office
- leasehold = land or property held under a lease
- smallholding = a piece of land under 50 acres that is sold or let to someone for cultivation
- homestead = land acquired from the United States public lands by filing a record and living on and cultivating it under the homestead law
- feoff / fief = a piece of land held under the feudal system
- barony = the estate of a baron
- countryseat = an estate in the country
- Crown land = land that belongs to the Crown
- manor = the landed estate of a lord
- seigneury / seigniory / signory = the estate of a seigneur
- hacienda = a large estate in Spanish-speaking countries
- plantation = an estate where cash crops are grown on a large scale
- entail = land received by fee tail
ACRES is an Aviation waypoint.
Acres a.k.a. Acres. is a musical group.
- album: "Silos"
Acres is a fictional film character.
Acres is a family name.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acres
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Environmental Impact Statement
The estimated average effect of green tree retention on regeneration harvest acres is an 8.0 MBF decrease per acre. Alternative C The estimated effect on growth and yield is an average increase of 30.6 MBF per acre on the 249 regeneration ...
Race, Resources, and Suburban Schooling by R. Lewis-McCoy
Rolling Acres is a promised land.1 It is a manicured suburb nestled in the midwestern United States that features a well-run and -resourced school district. Rolling Acres is the type of school district that families move to because of its strong ...
Comprehending a Concise View of the Latest Discoveries, Inventions, and Improvements, Chiefly Applicable to Rural and Domestic Economy. Together with Descriptions of the Most Interesting Objects of Nature and Art; the History of Men and Animals, in a State of Health Or Disease; and Practical Hints Respecting the Arts and Manufactures, Both Familiar and Commercial, Illustrated with Numerous Engravings and Cuts in Five Volumes by Anthony Florian Madinger Willich, James Mease
same month; at which time the broad-cast was also hoed,with hoes of a proper size for the purpose, in order togive it every advantage: at harvest the crops of the respective four acres were separately reaped, each laid by itself in the barn, and ...
Encyclopedia of New Jersey (2004)
by Maxine N. Lurie, Marc Mappen
acres. Matawan Corson's Inlet. State Park: 341 acres. Ocean Township Delaware and Raritan Canal State Park: 4-456 acres, Burlington County. Hunterdon Counly. Mercer County. Middlesex ...
28% acres. University, University and Sedgwick avs., 2% acres. Van Cortlandt, Jerome and Mt. Vernon avs. to Broadway, and from a point north of Kingsbridge to the city line , 1,182 ...
by Hugh Johnson
acres: Auxerrois, Bacchus, etc. Improving wines. Sparkling doing well. Davenport Rotherfield (E Sussex) Vines here and in Kent. Young winery: serious wines. Australian-trained winemaker. Started to win ...
by Bobby A. Stewart, Terry Howell
million acres of agricultural land were irrigated in the United States. This represents a new census-year high, with an additional 5.6 million acres (over 11%) over levels reported in the 1992 ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acres
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acres
Click on an item to view that photo:
Hundred Acres is an open air art display next to the Indianapolis Museum of art in Indianapolis IN.
Photo credit: Aiko, Thomas & Juliette+Isaac
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Acres
White Acres Site Description
See also the pronunciation examples of Acres!
Quotes about Acres
Scrabble value of A1C3R1E1S1
The value of this 5-letter word is 7 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACRES
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Acres!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acres to see it in context!