On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acth
What does acth mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a hormone produced by the anterior pituitary gland that stimulates the adrenal cortex
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of ACTH: adrenocorticotrophic hormone / adrenocorticotrophin / adrenocorticotropic hormone / adrenocorticotropin / corticotrophin / corticotropin
- more generic terms: endocrine / hormone / internal secretion = the secretion of an endocrine gland that is transmitted by the blood to the tissue on which it has a specific effect
Other definitions of acth
What does acth also mean?
- 'A'dreno'c'ortico't'ropic 'h'ormone.
- ACTH a.k.a. Proopiomelanocortin: Pro-opiomelanocortin is a precursor polypeptide with 241 amino acid residues. POMC is synthesized from the 285-amino-acid-long polypeptide precursor pre-pro-opiomelanocortin, by the removal of a 44-amino-acid-long signal peptide sequence during translation.
- read more about Proopiomelanocortin
- Acth a.k.a. proopiomelanocortin (adrenocorticotropin/ beta-lipotropin/ alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone/ beta-melanocyte stimulating hormone/ beta-endorphin) is a gene.
- also known as melanotropin gamma, beta-melanocyte-stimulating hormone, corticotropin-like intermediary peptide, adrenocorticotropic hormone, adrenocorticotropin, melanotropin beta, pro-ACTH-endorphin, gamma-LPH, beta-endorphin, beta-MSH, proopiomelanocortin, lipotropin beta, beta-LPH, corticotropin, alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone, corticotropin-lipotrophin, lipotropin gamma, pro-opiomelanocortin, alpha-MSH, met-enkephalin, melanotropin alpha, gamma-MSH
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for ACTH
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by F S K Barar
Adrenocorticotrophic Hormone (ACTH, corticotrophin) The ACTH is a single chain polypeptide containing 39 amino acids,
ACTH is a hormone one of whose functions is to stimulate the production of corticosterone by the adrenal tissue.
by Ernst Knobil, Jimmy D. Neill
ACTH is a 39 amino acid peptide derived from a larger precursor protein, pro- opiomelanocortin (POMC). This precursor...
The Adrenal Glands Circulating ACTH is the key regulator of glucocorticoid synthesis and release by the adrenal gland.
by D. S. Mills, Jeremy N. Marchant-Forde
ACtH ( adrenocorticotropic hormone) ACTH is the abbreviation for adrenocorticotropic hormone. ACTH is a 39aminoacid peptide hormone produced in the anterior pituitary gland.
by Dario M. Torre, Geoffrey C. Lamb, Jerome Van Ruiswyk, Ralph M. Schapira
CORTICOTROPIN ACTH is a polypeptide derived from modification of a much larger precursor molecule named POMC. Its secretion from the pituitary is tightly controlled via negative feedback from cortisol. Adrenal steroidogenesis, primarily ...
by Kathleen Deska Pagana, Timothy J. Pagana, Theresa N Pagana
ACTH is a very unstable peptide in plasma and should be stored at −20°C to prevent artificially low values. Abnormal findings Increased levels Decreased ...
Cracking the DAT (2012)
by Princeton Review
ACTH is a tropic hormone because it does not directly affect physiological endpoints, but merely regulates another regulator (cortisol). Cortisol regulates physiological endpoints, including cellular responses to stress and serum [ glucose.
by R. S. Satoskar, S. D. Bhandarkar &nirmala N. Rege
ACTH is the specific adenohypophyseal hormone which maintains the structure and regulates the function of the adrenal cortex. It is secreted ...
An Illustrated Text by A. Rijnberk
Chemically ACTH is a single-chain peptide comprising 39 amino acid residues. In the anterior lobe it is synthesized from a well-characterized precursor molecule pro-opiomelanocortin (POMC), which also gives rise to a number of other ...
Essential Endocrinology (2013)
A Primer for Nonspecialists by C.R. Kannan
the anterior pituitary (ACTH or 3-lipotropin) but do not possess the enzymatic machinery of the intermediate lobe to cleave these big molecules into smaller cleavage products. Human ACTH is a linear polypeptide containing 39 amino acids.
by Joseph Segen
ACTH. Adrenocorticotrophic hormone Endocrinology A 39amino acid hormone produced by the anterior pituitary...
is in turn regulated by corticotropinreleasing hormone–CRH; ACTH is Increased in pituitarydependent Cushing syndrome ...
by Julie McDowell
Adrenocorticotropic Hormone (ACTH) ACTH, also called corticotropin, is a small peptide hormone that stimulates cell development and hormone synthesis in the adrenal cortex (glucocorticoids, mineralocorticoids, and gonadocorticoids).
Encyclopedia of Stress: A-D (2000)
In the anterior pituitary , POMC is processed predominantly to ACTH and -lipotropin (-LPH) but some ...
by Carol Turkington, Joseph Harris
adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) ...
by Percy Russell, Anita Williams
adrenocorticotropic hormone (adrenocorticotropin, ACTH). A hormone liberated by the anterior pituitary gland, which stimulates the cortex of the adrenal glands. The basophilic cells of the hypophyseal pituitary anterior lobe ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for ACTH
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about ACTH
If you need images about ACTH for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about ACTH
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of ACTH!
Scrabble value of A1C3T1H4
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACTH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of ACTH!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of ACTH to find many related words and phrases!