On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acth
What does acth mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- a hormone produced by the anterior pituitary gland that stimulates the adrenal cortex
- lexical domain: Body Parts - nouns denoting body parts
- synonyms of ACTH: adrenocorticotrophic hormone / adrenocorticotrophin / adrenocorticotropic hormone / adrenocorticotropin / corticotrophin / corticotropin
- more generic terms: endocrine / hormone / internal secretion = the secretion of an endocrine gland that is transmitted by the blood to the tissue on which it has a specific effect
Other definitions of acth
What does acth also mean?
- 'A'dreno'c'ortico't'ropic 'h'ormone.
- ACTH a.k.a. Proopiomelanocortin: Pro-opiomelanocortin is a precursor polypeptide with 241 amino acid residues. POMC is synthesized from the 285-amino-acid-long polypeptide precursor pre-pro-opiomelanocortin, by the removal of a 44-amino-acid-long signal peptide sequence during translation.
- read more about Proopiomelanocortin
- Acth a.k.a. proopiomelanocortin (adrenocorticotropin/ beta-lipotropin/ alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone/ beta-melanocyte stimulating hormone/ beta-endorphin) is a gene.
- also known as melanotropin gamma, beta-melanocyte-stimulating hormone, corticotropin-like intermediary peptide, adrenocorticotropic hormone, adrenocorticotropin, melanotropin beta, pro-ACTH-endorphin, gamma-LPH, beta-endorphin, beta-MSH, proopiomelanocortin, lipotropin beta, beta-LPH, corticotropin, alpha-melanocyte-stimulating hormone, corticotropin-lipotrophin, lipotropin gamma, pro-opiomelanocortin, alpha-MSH, met-enkephalin, melanotropin alpha, gamma-MSH
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for ACTH
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
ACTH is a hormone one of whose functions is to stimulate the production of corticosterone by the adrenal tissue.
by Ernst Knobil, Jimmy D. Neill
ACTH is a 39 amino acid peptide derived from a larger precursor protein, pro- opiomelanocortin (POMC). This precursor...
The Adrenal Glands Circulating ACTH is the key regulator of glucocorticoid synthesis and release by the adrenal gland.
by D. S. Mills, Jeremy N. Marchant-Forde
ACtH ( adrenocorticotropic hormone) ACTH is the abbreviation for adrenocorticotropic hormone. ACTH is a 39aminoacid peptide hormone produced in the anterior pituitary gland.
by Dario M. Torre, Geoffrey C. Lamb, Jerome Van Ruiswyk, Ralph M. Schapira
CORTICOTROPIN ACTH is a polypeptide derived from modification of a much larger precursor molecule named POMC. Its secretion from the pituitary is tightly controlled via negative feedback from cortisol. Adrenal steroidogenesis, primarily ...
by John Watkinson, Ralph W Gilbert
Because ACTH is a 39 amino acid protein with a short halflife, it is easier to measure plasma cortisol and 24-hour urinary-free cortisol levels when assessing pituitary/adrenal function. The loss of diurnal rhythm can be detected by measuring ...
by Kathleen Deska Pagana, Timothy J. Pagana, Theresa N Pagana
ACTH is a very unstable peptide in plasma and should be stored at −20°C to prevent artificially low values. Abnormal findings Increased levels Decreased levels Addison disease (primary adrenal insufficiency) Cushing syndrome ( pituitary- ...
Cracking the DAT (2012)
by Princeton Review
ACTH is a tropic hormone because it does not directly affect physiological endpoints. but merely regulates another regulator (cortisol). Cortisol regulates physiological endpoints. including cellular responses to stress and serum [ glucose].
by R. S. Satoskar, S. D. Bhandarkar &nirmala N. Rege
ACTH is the specific adenohypophyseal hormone which maintains the structure and regulates the function of the adrenal cortex. It is secreted ...
ACTH is a less potent activator of the MC4 receptor than .alpha.- MSH.
Essential Endocrinology (2013)
A Primer for Nonspecialists by C.R. Kannan
the anterior pituitary (ACTH or 3-lipotropin) but do not possess the enzymatic machinery of the intermediate lobe to cleave these big molecules into smaller cleavage products. Human ACTH is a linear polypeptide containing 39 amino acids.
by T. Steckler, N. H. Kalin, J. M. H. M. Reul
ACTH is a product of proopiomelanocortin is important for the physiological growth and function (POMC), together with b-lipotropic hormone of the thyroid gland. Besides the hormone-producing/ (b-LPH), endorphins, encephalin, ...
Encyclopedia of Stress: A-D (2000)
In the anterior pituitary , POMC is processed predominantly to ACTH and -lipotropin (-LPH) but some ...
With 213 Tables by Florian Lang
reduces cortisol and aldosterone synthesis leading to elevated ACTH levels and hyperplasia of the adrenal cortex. Aldosterone deficiency ...
by Roberto Patarca Montero
ACTH ADH ADP ANA ATP BCAA BDV CDC CDS CFS .xix Preface.
The Whys and Whences of Chemical Nomenclature and Terminology by Alexander Senning
ACTH an abbreviation for adrenocorticotropic hormone actin derived from actus (Latin: an act), ...
Mosby's Dental Dictionary (2013)
Accommodation ACE Adrenocortical extract; angiotensin-converting enzyme ACh Acetylcholine ACH Adrenocortical hormone ACLS Advanced cardiac life support ACTH Adrenocorticotropic hormone AD Right ear (auris dextra) ADD Attention ...
by Philip Winn
ACTH adrenocorticotropic hormone ADH antidiuretic hormone ADHD attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ADP adenosine diphosphate AF64A acetylethylcholine ...
by Nicky Hayes, Peter Stratton
5-HT ACTH ADD ADHD AI AIDS ANN ANOVA ANS BAS ...
by Robert Jean Campbell
ABL AβP ABPN ACA ACC ACGME Ach AchE ACOA ACT ACTH ADC ADD ADDH ADE ADH ADHD ADI ADIS ADL ADNFLE ADR ADT AA Alcoholics Anonymous; Achievement Age AAMI Age-associated memory impairment AANB ...
Dictionary of Psychology (2000)
ACTH Adrenocorticotropic hormone. AD Average deviation. ADH Antidiuretic hormone. AER Average evoked ...
by Roger Bartlett, Chris Gratton, Christer G. Rolf
Accelerometry Roger Bartlett Achilles tendon injury Christer Rolf Acromioclavicular joint dislocation Christer Rolf ACTH (adrenocorticotrophic hormone) Gary Green Acupuncture Angela Ryan Acute rehabilitation Walter R. Frontera Acute renal ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for ACTH
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about ACTH
If you need images about ACTH for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Video language resources about ACTH
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of ACTH!
Scrabble value of A1C3T1H4
The value of this 4-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACTH
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of ACTH!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of ACTH to find many related words and phrases!