On this page:
- Definition of the noun alms
- Phrases with Alms
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alms
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alms
- Photos about Alms
- Video language resources about Alms
- Quotes about Alms
- Scrabble value of A1L1M3S1
- Anagrams of ALMS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alms
What does alms mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- money or goods contributed to the poor
- examples: Zen priests beg for alms near Shinjuku station. | One should give alms to the poor. | In my country, it's usual for pilgrims to beg for alms. | Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. | Give us some alms, we beg of you! We are old, tired, and sick.
- usage: plural / plural form
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: contribution / donation = act of giving in common with others for a common purpose especially to a charity
Alternative definition of the noun alms
- Something given to the poor as charity, such as money, clothing or food.
- "Alms", released October 18, 2004, is the second album of the Montreal-based electronic duo Re:.
- "Alms" is a composition.
- also known as Alms (Charity's Gone edit)
- music and lyrics by [K]
- "Alms" is a musical EP of ZX Spectrum.
- released in (6 years ago)
- ALMS a.k.a. The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón was a sports car racing series based in the United States and Canada. It consisted of a series of endurance and sprint races, and was created in the spirit of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- read more about American Le Mans Series
- Alms is a canonical version, musical recording.
Phrases with Alms
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alms
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Jeremy Taylor
But because giving alms is an act of the virtue of merci~ fulness, our endeavour must be by proper arts to mortify the parents of unmercifulness, which are, r. Envy ; 2. Anger; 3. Covetousness: in which we may be helped by the following rules or ...
and, The rule and exercises of holy living and holy dying : with a biographical memoir by Jeremy Taylor
But, because giving alms is an act of the virtue of mercifulness, our endeavour must be, by proper arts, to mortify the parents of unmercifulness, which are, 1. Envy ; 2. Anger ; 3 Covetousness ; in which wo may be helped by the following rules ...
by Richard Woodward
At present, every Contribution is called Alms, and considered as an Act of Bounty.
Journey of Faith for Lent (2005)
by Mary Shrader
Giving alms is an important Lenten practice. Seeing dignity in others and helping people when they are in need are core aspects of Jesus's Gospel message. • Name three examples of showy prayer and three examples of private prayer.
by Frederick George Lee
ALMONER — A dispenser of gifts and alms. The officer who directs the distribution of charitable doles in connexion with ...
by Orr, James
ams, ams-giv ́ing: The English word “alms” is an abridged form of the Greek word, ελεημοσυ ́νη, elee ̄mosu ́ne ̄ (compare “eleemosynary”), appearing in gradually reduced forms in German Almosen, Wyclif's Almesse, Scotch Aw'mons, and ...
Zondervan Bible Dictionary (2009)
by J. D. Douglas, C. Merrill
ALMS. (hms). Kind deeds arising out of compassion, mercy, and pity for the unfortunate. The word itself is not found in the NIV, though the practice repeatedly appears in Mosaic legislation and NT injunction: Greek elemosyn, also in LXX for ...
Sinhalese English Dictionary (1982)
by B. Clough
service; hire, wages; -begging, asking; thing obtained by begging, alms; mouthful or handful of food...
begging, asking alms, practice of a mendicant Buddhist priest, going about to ask ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alms
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alms
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: iriskh
Photo credit: Dee <3
Photo credit: Fiona Bradley
Holy man asking for alms at the Funky Monkey cafe in Pushkar.
Photo credit: runran
Photo credit: oft-quoted Mandrake Silvertongue
While crawling on the ground, this individual has devised a clever and effective way of attracting attention and effectively obtaining contributions during the crowded weekend market as two monks walk past. Bangkok, Thailand, SE Asia
Photo credit: emilio labrador
Collecting Alms for the monks at the reclining buddha.
Photo credit: northways
At the Alms Cemetery on the Battlefield
Photo credit: fauxto_digit
Photo credit: jeep1
- ALMS 2011 at Mosport
Nothing like the smell of racing fuel on a Sunday Morning
Photo credit: Stradablog
- Alms Park
Photo credit: Sonnett
- Limosna / Alms
Photo credit: Hernan Piñera
- Alms Park
Photo credit: Sonnett
- A slot for inserting alms.
Photo credit: NateBW
- Lao Luang Prabang Alms
Photo credit: llee_wu
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Alms
Click on an item to play that video:
- Alms Meaning
Video shows what alms means. Something given to the poor as charity, such as money, clothing or food.. alms pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Alms, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
- Road America - Track Description - ALMS - Tequila Patron - ESPN - Sports Cars - Racing - USCR
ESPN commentator Johnny O'Connell shows you the correct and incorrect ways to take some of the most famous turns at Road America. The American Le Mans ...
- Long Beach - Track Description 2012 - ALMS - ESPN - Tequila Patron - Racing - Sports Cars
ESPN commentator Johnny O'Connell takes you around the Long Beach street circuit. The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron racing returns ...
- Mosport - Track Description - Kyle Marcelli - ALMS - Tequila Patron - ESPN - Sports Cars - Racing
BAR1 Motorsports' Kyle Marcelli describes the track at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron sports car ...
- ALMS - Track Description of Miller Motorsports Park
Allan McNish takes us around Miller Motorsports Park in his Audi R10 TDI.
See also the pronunciation examples of Alms!
Quotes about Alms
Scrabble value of A1L1M3S1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALMS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alms!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alms to see it in context!