On this page:
- Definition of the noun alms
- Phrases with Alms
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alms
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alms
- Photos about Alms
- Video language resources about Alms
- Quotes about Alms
- Scrabble value of A1L1M3S1
- Anagrams of ALMS
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun alms
What does alms mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- money or goods contributed to the poor
- examples: Zen priests beg for alms near Shinjuku station. | One should give alms to the poor. | In my country, it's usual for pilgrims to beg for alms. | Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, they have their reward. | Give us some alms, we beg of you! We are old, tired, and sick.
- usage: plural / plural form
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: contribution / donation = act of giving in common with others for a common purpose especially to a charity
Alternative definition of the noun alms
- Something given to the poor as charity, such as money, clothing or food.
- "Alms", released October 18, 2004, is the second album of the Montreal-based electronic duo Re:.
- "Alms" is a composition.
- also known as Alms (Charity's Gone edit)
- music and lyrics by [K]
- "Alms" is a musical EP of ZX Spectrum.
- released in (6 years ago)
- ALMS a.k.a. The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patrón was a sports car racing series based in the United States and Canada. It consisted of a series of endurance and sprint races, and was created in the spirit of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- read more about American Le Mans Series
- Alms is a canonical version, musical recording.
Phrases with Alms
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Alms
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Richard Woodward
At present, every Contribution is called Alms, and considered as an Act of Bounty.
and Other Writings by Max Weber
262, giving alms is a means of averting temporal punishment. Other theologians recommended good works to the reprobate on the grounds that damnation might be thereby rendered a little more bearable. They recommended them to the ...
Journey of Faith for Lent (2005)
by Mary Shrader
Giving alms is an important Lenten practice. Seeing dignity in others and helping people when they are in need are core aspects of Jesus's Gospel message. • Name three examples of showy prayer and three examples of private prayer.
by James Orr
"Lay up alms in thy storehouse; it shall deliver thee from affliction" (Ecclus 29 12). The story of Tob is especially in point : it is simply a lesson on almsgiving and its redeeming powers: "Alms delivers from death and will purge away all sin" (Tob ...
Including Words Used by Ancient and Modern Authors in Treating of Architectural and Other Antiquities ... Also, Biographical Notices of Ancient Architects by John Britton, George Godwin
A room or place whence alms were formerly distributed to the poor. In monastic establishments it was generally a stone building near the church, on the north side of the quadrangle, and sometimes had a priest's hall, and other apartments, ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
ALMS, were afterwards the sources of the most effectual — charity to the poor ; and are found to this day, in ALMUG- various...
The Mahometan theology represents Alms as needful to make the prayers of the faithful to be heard above ; and a ...
by Frederick George Lee
ALMONER—A dispenser of gifts and alms. The officer who directs the distribution of charitable doles in connexion with ...
A Protestant Dictionary (1904)
Containing Articles on the History, Doctrines, and Practices of the Christian Church by Charles Henry Hamilton Wright, Charles Neil
Gifts of articles to be used in divine service, or for the maintenance thereof, were also " oblations" The bread and wine are " placed " upon the Table, and not " presented," as are the "Alms for the Poor, and other devotions of the people, in a ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alms
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alms
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: osiristhe
Photo credit: Dee <3
Photo credit: oft-quoted Mandrake Silvertongue
While crawling on the ground, this individual has devised a clever and effective way of attracting attention and effectively obtaining contributions during the crowded weekend market as two monks walk past. Bangkok, Thailand, SE Asia
Photo credit: emilio labrador
Collecting Alms for the monks at the reclining buddha.
Photo credit: northways
Photo credit: jeep1
- Alms Park
Photo credit: Sonnett
- Limosna / Alms
Photo credit: Hernan Piñera
- ALMS 2011 at Mosport
Nothing like the smell of racing fuel on a Sunday Morning
Photo credit: Stradablog
- Alms Park
Photo credit: Sonnett
- A slot for inserting alms.
Photo credit: NateBW
- Lao Luang Prabang Alms
Photo credit: llee_wu
View more pictures about Alms House.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Alms
Click on an item to play that video:
- Alms Meaning
Video shows what alms means. Something given to the poor as charity, such as money, clothing or food.. alms pronunciation. How to pronounce, definition by ...
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Alms, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
- Road America - Track Description - ALMS - Tequila Patron - ESPN - Sports Cars - Racing - USCR
ESPN commentator Johnny O'Connell shows you the correct and incorrect ways to take some of the most famous turns at Road America. The American Le Mans ...
- Long Beach - Track Description 2012 - ALMS - ESPN - Tequila Patron - Racing - Sports Cars
ESPN commentator Johnny O'Connell takes you around the Long Beach street circuit. The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron racing returns ...
- Mosport - Track Description - Kyle Marcelli - ALMS - Tequila Patron - ESPN - Sports Cars - Racing
BAR1 Motorsports' Kyle Marcelli describes the track at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. The American Le Mans Series presented by Tequila Patron sports car ...
- ALMS - Track Description of Miller Motorsports Park
Allan McNish takes us around Miller Motorsports Park in his Audi R10 TDI.
See also the pronunciation examples of Alms!
Quotes about Alms
Scrabble value of A1L1M3S1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ALMS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alms!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alms to see it in context!