On this page:
- Alton is a city on the Mississippi River in Madison County, Illinois, United States, about 15 miles north of St. Louis, Missouri. The population was 27,865 at the 2010 census. It is a part of the Metro-East region of the Greater St. Louis metropolitan area in Southern Illinois. It is famous for its limestone bluffs along the river north of the city, for its role preceding and during the American Civil War, and as the hometown of jazz musician Miles Davis and Robert Wadlow, the tallest known man in history. It was the site of the last Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas debate in October 1858. The former state penitentiary here was used during the war to hold up to 12,000 Confederate prisoners of war.
- Alton is a city in Hidalgo County, Texas, United States. The population was 12,341 at the 2010 census. It is part of the McAllen–Edinburg–Mission and Reynosa–McAllen metropolitan areas.
- Alton is the county seat of Oregon County, Missouri, United States. The population was 871 at the 2010 census.
- Alton is a city in Sioux County, Iowa, United States, along the Floyd River. The population was 1,216 at the 2010 census.
- Alton is a city in Osborne County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 103.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Alton (city)
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Alton (city)
Click on an item to view that photo:
Anagrams of ALTON
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Alton!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Alton to see it in context!