The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun ambit:
On this page:
Definition of the noun ambit
What does ambit mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: ambits
- an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control:
- example: the ambit of municipal legislation
- lexical domain: Attributes - nouns denoting attributes of people and objects
- synonyms of ambit: compass / orbit / range / reach / scope
- more generic word: extent = the distance or area or volume over which something extends
- more specific terms:
- approximate range / ballpark = near to the scope or range of something
- confines = a bounded scope
- contrast = the range of optical density and tone on a photographic negative or print
- internationalism / internationality = quality of being international in scope
- latitude = scope for freedom of e.g. action or thought
- horizon / purview / view = the range of interest or activity that can be anticipated
- expanse / sweep = a wide scope
- gamut = a complete extent or range:
- spectrum = a broad range of related objects or values or qualities or ideas or activities
- palette / pallet = the range of colour characteristic of a particular artist or painting or school of art
Alternative definition of the noun ambit
- The sphere or area of control and influence of something.
- A circuit, or a boundary around a property.
- A span of actions, thoughts, or words.
"Ambit" is a musical album of I.V. Lab.
- released on
"Ambit" is a book by Gerald Creede.
- Ambit is a literary periodical published in the United Kingdom. It was founded in 1959 by Dr Martin Bax, a London paediatrician.
- AMBIT is a historical programming language that was introduced by Carlos Christensen in 1964 for symbolic computation. The language was influenced by ALGOL 60 and is an early example of a pattern matching language for manipulation of strings. The acronym AMBIT stands for "Algebraic Manipulation by Identity Translation", but has also claimed "Acronym May Be Ignored Totally". AMBIT had dialects for manipulation of lists and graphs Both pioneered with data structure diagrams and visual programming as data and patterns were used to be represented by directed-graph diagrams. AMBIT/L was implemented for a PDP-10 computer and used to implement the interactive algebraic manipulation system IAM.
- AMBIT a.k.a. Adolescent Mentalization-Based Integrative Treatment is a novel adaptation of the theory of Mentalization and practices of Mentalization-based treatment to address the needs of chaotic, complex and multiply comorbid youth, via team-based multimodal practices.
- read more about Adolescent Mentalization-Based Integrative Treatment
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Ambit
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by J. Auslander
An ambit is a point transitive flow with a distinguished transitive point. Precisely, an ambit (or T ambit) is a triple (X, T ...
Proceedings of the 2014 Asia-Pacific Congress on Sports Technology and Engineering (STE 2014), December 8-9, 2014, Singapore by Qi Luo
Ambit is a wrist-purpose mobile device with main functionality of sports watches, heart rate monitor and GPS navigation. Matrix LCD with a resolution of 128 × 128 pixels serves as the display. The device has a built-in Li-ion battery with a ...
by Joshua Castellino, Kathleen A. Cavanaugh
In this chapter, the current status of religious minorities that fall within our territorial ambit is the main focus. In Chapter 3, we turn the focus to the status of ethnonational and other minorities. Given the pitfalls detailed, it is unsurprising that there ...
by Paul Carpenter Standley
" This is presumably the tree described by Clavigero' as “ anaba,” in the following words: " Ambit is the name of a fruit similar to the fig, and ot the tree on which it is borne.
A Practical Guide by Anthony Bateman, Peter Fonagy
AMBIT is a practice developed to provide help for adolescents with severe, complex, and multiple needs. The AMBIT model places a strong emphasis on the role of the keyworker, that is, an individual who is the primary clinician delivering and ...
by Geoffrey Brahm Levey
Here, the ambit is the status of particular cultural groups' beliefs or practices rather than authenticity in relation to identity or to autonomous preferences. In democracies that have adopted multiculturalism policies or otherwise been inclined to ...
Endogenous Propagation in the Great Depression by Frank George Steindl
This book is concerned with the Great Depression, but in contrast to so much of the literature, its ambit is the economic recovery from the disastrous economic dive culminating in the spring of 1933. The particular focus is on the macroeconomic ...
by Robert A. Dibie
Within this ambit is a new phenomenon that the government is obliged to deal with at virtually ...
Encyclopaedia perthensis, or, Universal dictionary of the arts, sciences, literature, etc. : intended to supersede the use of other books of reference (1816)
* AMBIT, n.si [ambitus, Lat.] ...
AMBIT, in Geometry, is the same with what is otherwise called the perimeter of a figure. See Perimeter. Ambit was particularly used, in antiquity, to denote a space of ground to be left vacant betwixt one building and another. By the laws of the ...
The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia: The Century dictionary ... prepared under the superintendence of William Dwight Whitney (1903)
ambit (am' bit), n. [( L. ambitus, circuit, (ambire, pp. ambitus, go about: see ambient.] 1.
by Sidney L. Landau
route, course, ambit, round, beat, tour, routine, journey, trip, run, itinerary, path, orbit, lap, sphere. 2 conference, league, association, district, division, group, wing , fellowship, meet 3 CIRCLE. circuitous adj. roundabout, indirect, devious, ...
Encyclopaedia Britannica (1823)
Or, A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and Miscellaneous Literature, Enlarged and Improved
Ambient g Ambit ns. -. fluids, as encompass others on all sides : thus, the air is frequently culled an ambient fluid, because it is diffused round the earth. AMBIEKLE, a town of France, in the department of the lilione and Loire. It is the chief place ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Ambit
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Ambit
Click on an item to view that photo:
Video language resources about Ambit
Click on an item to play that video:
- Ambit Meaning
Video shows what ambit means. The sphere or area of control and influence of something.. A circuit, or a boundary around a property.. A span of actions, ...
- Ambit claim Meaning
Video shows what ambit claim means. an extravagant initial demand made in expectation of an eventual counter-offer and compromise. Ambit claim Meaning.
Scrabble value of A1M3B3I1T1
The value of this 5-letter word is 9 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of AMBIT
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Ambit!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Ambit to see it in context!