Aaron T. Beck
On this page:
Who is Aaron T. Beck?
Aaron T. Beck: Aaron Temkin Beck is an American psychiatrist and a professor emeritus in the department of psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania. He is regarded as the father of cognitive therapy, and his pioneering theories are widely used in the treatment of clinical depression. Beck also developed self-report measures of depression and anxiety including Beck Depression Inventory, Beck Hopelessness Scale, Beck Scale for Suicidal Ideation, Beck Anxiety Inventory, and Beck Youth Inventories. Beck is noted for his research in psychotherapy, psychopathology, suicide, and psychometrics, which led to his creation of cognitive therapy and the BDI, one of the most widely used instruments for measuring depression severity. Beck collaborated with Maria Kovacs, PhD, in the development of the Children's Depression Inventory, which used the BDI as a model. Beck's work at the University of Pennsylvania inspired Martin Seligman to refine his own cognitive techniques and exercises, and later work on learned helplessness.
- also known as Aaron T Beck
- born on (94 years ago) in Providence
- ethnicity: Jewish people
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Scientist, psychiatrist
- written works: "Prisioneros Del Odio/ Prisoners of Hate", "BHS, Beck hopelessness scale", "BSI, Beck scale for suicide ideation", "Con el amor no basta", "The diagnosis and management of depression", "Getting Undepressed", "Love is never enough", "BDI-II, Beck depression inventory", "BAI, Beck anxiety inventory", "BDI, Beck depression inventory", "Anxiety disorders and phobias", "Management of Depression", "Rational Thinking", "Cognitive Therapy and the Emotional Disorders", "Depression", "Anxiety & Depression Workbook for Dummies"
- award: - Lasker-DeBakey Clinical Medical Research Award (For the development of cognitive therapy, which has transformed the understanding and treatment of many psychiatric conditions, including depression, suicidal behavior, generalized anxiety, panic attacks, and eating disorders.)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aaron T. Beck
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Third Conference by Jeffrey K. Zeig
Aaron T. Beck, M.D., D.M.S. Aaron T. Beck is a University Prof essor Emeritus of Psychiatry at the School of Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania .
by CTI Reviews
Aaron T. Beck: Aaron T. Beck is an American psychiatrist and a professor emeritus in the department of...
by Michael Shally-Jensen
Rush, Aaron T. Beck, and Steven D. Hollon. 1981.“ Depressed Outpatients Treated with Cognitive Therapy or Pharmacotherapy: A One-Year FollowUp.” Archives of General Psychiatry 38: 33-39. Mahoney, Michael J.
by Edward S. Neukrug
Beck, Aaron T. Beck, aaron t. 87 90. Beck,. Aaron. T. As the founder of cognitive therapy, Aaron Temkin Beck (1921–) has shaped the way psychologists ...
Encyclopedia of Emotion (2010)
by Gretchen Reevy, Yvette Malamud Ozer, Yuri Ito
AARON T. BECK 117 If emotions do not exist as distinct categories, a leading alternative possibility is that emotions exist on a continuum or continua, with no real natural or distinct boundaries. In other words, the emotions that we tend to think ...
by Henry Kellerman
Typical distortions identified by cognitive therapy pioneer Aaron T. Beck include all-or-nothing thinking, overgeneralization, emotional reasoning, and mental filter . In Ellis's REBT, distorted or irrational thinking is characterized by “shoulding,” ...
Encyclopedia of Depression (2010)
by Linda Wasmer Andrews
Aaron T. Beck. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 1993.
by Michel Hersen
Aaron T. Beck, Albert Ellis, Michael Mahoney, Donald Meichenbaum, and others) played important roles in the early advancement of cognitive treatments, Beck and Ellis are most often credited with the ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aaron T. Beck
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Anagrams of AARON T. BECK
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Aaron T. Beck!
Share this page
Go to the wordplay of Aaron T. Beck for some fun with words!