On this page:
Definition of the noun Abdal
What does Abdal mean as a name of something?
- A religious devotee or dervish in Persia.
- Abdal is a rank of forty saints, but more often the larger group of 356 saints in Sufi theosophy, only known to and appointed by Allah. It is through their operations that the world continues to exist. The term over time has come to include a greater hierarchy of saints, all of different rank and prestige.they can also travel at supernatural speeds it is said that they have flying carpets.
- also known as Abdals
- The Abdal are Muslim community found in North India. They are a sub-group within the Faqir community. They are unrelated to the Abdal of Turkey, the only thing common between the two groups is an itinerant lifestyle.
- Abdal a.k.a. Ainu Language: Äynu is a Turkic cryptolect spoken in western China known in various spelling as Aini, Aynu, Ainu, Eyni or by the Uyghur Abdal, in Russian sources Эйну́, Айну, Абдал, by the Chinese as Ainu. Some linguists call it a mixed language, having a mostly Turkic grammar, essentially Yugur, but a mainly Iranian vocabulary. Other linguists argue that it does not meet the technical requirements of a mixed language. It is spoken by the Äynu, a nomadic people. The Äynu people call their language Äynú.
- read more about Ainu Language
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abdal
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Indian Antiquary (1874)
A Journal of Oriental Research in Archaeology, History, Literature, Languages, Folklore Etc
—Ceylon Times, HASSAN ABDAL. Hassan Abdal is a small town of less than 5,000 inhabitants, ...
Sketches Historical and Descriptive by David Ross
Hasan Abdal is a pretty and interesting spot, visited by English sportsmen on account of the excellent fishing in the adjoining streams. It is mentioned by the poet Thomas Moore as having been "the favourite resting-place of the emperors in ...
Musical Travels in Central Asia (and Queens, New York) by Theodore Levin
Abdal is an Arabic word that in Sufi thought refers to a hierarchical class of mystical saints — usually forty in number — who, along with other hierarchical classes of saints, surround the qutb (axis, pole), or highest spiritual authority present on ...
by Cyril Glassé, Huston Smith
Abdal (lit. " substitutes"; sing. badal). In Sufi lore, a set of seventy Saints, of whom a certain number are the siddiqun ("truthful ones", similar to the Jewish tsadeqs). One siddiq is the ...
by Ludwig W. Adamec
The headship of the Abdali tribe is traced from Qais (seventh century) to Ibrahim ( Saraban), Sharafuddin (Sharkhabun), Tarin, Abdal, Rajar, Isa, Zirak, Popal, Habib, Bami, Kane, Bahlol, Maruf, Omar, Sado (b. 1558), Khwaja Khizar, Khodadad ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abdal
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Abdal
Abdal cemetery. Muslim part.
Photo credit: alexey.matveichev
Scrabble value of A1B3D2A1L1
The value of this 5-letter word is 8 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABDAL
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Abdal!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Abdal to find many related words and phrases!