On this page:
Who is Abdullah Ibrahim?
Abdullah Ibrahim is a South African pianist and composer. His music reflects many of the musical influences of his childhood in the multicultural port areas of Cape Town, ranging from traditional African songs to the gospel of the AME Church and ragas, to more modern jazz and other Western styles. Ibrahim is considered the leading figure in the sub-genre Cape jazz. Within jazz, his music particularly reflects the influence of Thelonious Monk and Duke Ellington. With his wife, the jazz singer Sathima Bea Benjamin, he is father to the New York underground rapper Jean Grae, as well as to a son, Tsakwe.
- also known as Abdullah Abrahim, Dollar Brand, Abdullah Ibrahim (Dollar Brand), Abdullah Ebrahim, Adolph Johannes Brand, Abdullah Ibrahim Trio
- born on (81 years ago) in Cape Town
- nationality: South Africa
- religion: Islam
- profession: Pianist, composer, bandleader, jazz pianist, film score composer
- member of musical groups:
- Marriage with Sathima Bea Benjamin since
- parent of
- genres: Folk music, Bebop, Post-bop, Modern Creative
- albums: "African Piano", "African Marketplace", "Autobiography", "Dollar Brand at Montreux", "Reflections", "Good News From Africa", "Knysna Blue", "Africa - Tears and Laughter", "African Dawn", "African Horns", "African Magic", "African Suite - For Trio And String Orchestra", "African Sun", "Best of Abdullah Ibrahim", "Cape Town Flowers", "Cape Town Songs: The Very Best of Abdullah Ibrahim", "Ekapa Lodumo", "Mantra Mode", "No Fear, No Die", "Soweto", "Tintinyana", "Voice of Africa", "Yarona", "Zimbabwe", "African Sketchbook", "Banyana", "Water from an Ancient Well", "Anthem for the New Nations", "Banyana – Children of Africa", "Mindif", "Blues for a Hip King", "Township One More Time", "Memories", "The Journey", "A Celebration", "Senzo", "Ode to Duke Ellington", "Ekaya", "African River", "Echoes From Africa", "Confluence", "Bombella: Gold Train - South Africa", "Pre Abdullah Ibrahim", "South Africa", "Mukashi - Once Upon a Time", "Desert Flowers", "Round Midnight at the Montmartre", "Duke's Memories", "Live (Jazzbühne Berlin)"
- some of the nominations and awards:
- official website: www.abdullahibrahim.co.za
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Abdullah Ibrahim
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Lol Henderson, Lee Stacey
THE JAZZ EPISTLES In the late 19505, Moeketsi guided musicians like pianist and composer Abdullah Ibrahim (also known as Dollar Brand), trombonist Jonas Gwangwa, and trumpeter Hugh Masekela. All four ...
Volume 6: Bibliography and Cumulative Index by Irving Brown (Consulting Bibliographer), Natasha Rappaport (Bibliographer), Don Rubin (General Editor), Rosabel Wang (Consulting Bibliographer)
Towards a survey: a reflection on poetry/ Cosmo Pieterse—The aloe and thewildrose: song/Abdullah Ibrahim (DollarBrand ) —The melody of ...
by the late Leonard Feather, Ira Gitler
Abdullah Ibrahim for Chocolat '87. Award: NEA Jazz Masters Fellowship '97.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abdullah Ibrahim
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Abdullah Ibrahim
Abdullah Ibrahim Quartet
Photo credit: mikecogh
Quotes about Abdullah Ibrahim
Anagrams of ABDULLAH IBRAHIM
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Abdullah Ibrahim!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abdullah Ibrahim to see it in context!