The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun aberration:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun aberration
- Phrases with Aberration
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aberration
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aberration
- Photos about Aberration
- Video language resources about Aberration
- Quotes about Aberration
- Scrabble value of A1B3E1R1R1A1T1I1O1N1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun aberration
What does aberration mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: aberrations
- a state or condition markedly different from the norm
- lexical domain: States - nouns denoting stable states of affairs
- synonyms of aberration: aberrance / aberrancy / deviance
- more generic words: abnormalcy / abnormality = an abnormal physical condition resulting from defective genes or developmental deficiencies
- more specific terms:
- a disorder in one's mental state
- an optical phenomenon resulting from the failure of a lens or mirror to produce a good image
- lexical domain: Natural Phenomena - nouns denoting natural phenomena
- synonyms of aberration: distortion / optical aberration
- more generic term: optical phenomenon = a physical phenomenon related to or involving light
- more specific terms:
Alternative definition of the noun aberration
- The act of wandering; deviation, especially from truth or moral rectitude, from the natural state, or from a type.
- A partial alienation of reason.
- [astronomy] A small periodical change of position in the stars and other heavenly bodies, due to the combined effect of the motion of light and the motion of the observer.
- [context: optics] The convergence to different foci, by a lens or mirror, of rays of light emanating from one and the same point, or the deviation of such rays from a single focus.
- [physiology] A deviation of an organism from the state which is regarded as normal.
- A mental disorder, especially one of a minor or temporary character.
- [legal] The producing of an unintended effect by the glancing of an instrument, as when a shot intended for A glances and strikes B.
- [context: zoology, botany] atypical development or structure
Definition of the noun aberration for high school students
- something that differs from the norm
- example: In 1918, the Boston Red Sox won the World Series, but the success turned out to be an aberration, and the Red Sox have not won a World Series since.
The noun aberration is considered to be a word that all college-aspiring students should know and understand, so it frequently appears on the SAT, ACT and other college admissions tests.
"Aberration" is a 1997 film directed by Tim Boxell. It was set in the United States and shot in New Zealand, and stars Pamela Gidley as a woman who moves to her old childhood cabin in the woods, only to discover that it is overrun by a pack of murderous lizard-like creatures.
- countries: New Zealand, Australia
- language: English Language
- producer: Tim Sanders
- production design by Grant Major
- edited by John Gilbert
- genres: Horror, Science Fiction, World cinema
- rating: R (USA)
- released in (18 years ago)
"Aberration" is an EP by the Oakland, California band Neurosis.
Aberration: In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, aberration is a type of creature, or "creature type". Aberrations generally all have bizarre anatomies, strange abilities, alien mindsets, or any combination thereof.
Phrases with Aberration
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Aberration
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Ray Optics (2006)
by R. K. Verma
Thus, the condition for minimum spherical aberration is that the distance between the two lenses is equal to the difference...
by Myron Yanoff, Jay S. Duker
A ray aberration is the difference between where a ray actually goes and where it would have gone if the optical system were ideal.19 A spot diagram shows the intersection...
A ray aberration is a vector representing the displacement of an actual ray from its ideal position.
Wave aberration is an optical path length in which the actual length is multiplied by the index of refraction in image space ( 1.336).
by CTI Reviews
Spherical aberration is an optical effect observed in an optical.
Designed Especially as a Guide to Plant-analysis and Classification, and as an Introduction to Pharmacognosy and Vegetable Physiology by Henry Hurd Rusby, Smith Ely Jelliffe
Chromatic aberration is a defect due to the double action of a lens, by which it acts as a magnifier and as a prism. Acting as a prism, it decomposes the light into its elements, and if a lens shows bands of color around the edges of the object ...
by Michael R. Peres
Spherical aberration is the inability to bring peripheral and central light “rays” to a common focus. 2. Chromatic aberration is the inability to focus all colors to a common focus. 3. Curvature is the inability to bring an image to focus on a flat field.
Handbook of Pharmacy (1895)
Embracing the Theory and Practice of Pharmacy and the Art of Dispensing for Students of Pharmacy and Medicine, Practical Pharmacists, and Physicians by Virgil Coblentz
Chromatic aberration is a defect due to the double action of a lens, by which it acts as a magnifier and as a prism.
Spherical aberration is a second defect whereby all points of an image are not brought together, so that in looking at a piece of ...
by CTI Reviews
Spherical aberration is an optical effect observed in an optical device (lens, mirror, ...
Dental Digest (1922)
The intrusive aberration is the deviation perpendicular to the direction of the condyle path, from a theoretical surface equi-distant to the surface of the condyle path. The distance between this theoretical surface and the condyle path is the ...
Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40, Protection of Environment, Pt. 790-999, Revised as of July 1 2011 (2011)
Numerical aberration is a change in the number of chromosomes ...
Popular Photography (1915)
by Frank Roy Fraprie
Spherical aberration means incapacity to give sharp definition at a large aperture . It arises from the fact that, unless properly corrected, the rays passing through the margin of a lens have a slightly different focal length from those passing ...
by Vladimir E. Ostashev
Sound aberration is an effect which is different from the change in direction of propagation of a plane sound wave emitted by a moving source, since sound waves propagate in a medium which can be treated as the 'acoustical ether';.
by Victor A. Bernstam
The most consistent aberration is a deletion of the short arm of chromosome 3, particularly in SCLC ( 93%).
Electron Nano-Imaging (2017)
Basics of Imaging and Diffraction for TEM and STEM by Nobuo Tanaka
The aberration is a function of cube of angles a tilted from the optical axis, where the angle is the same as the scattering angle of electrons from specimens. An axially symmetric magnetic lens, as Scherzer (1936) proved, works only as a ...
The aberration is an annual change, and is detected by observing a star at different seasons of the year; the mutation is a change of which the cycle is eighteen years; and which, therefore, 260 HISTORY OF PHYSICAL ASTRONOMY.
Theory of Factorial Design (2016)
Single- and Multi-Stratum Experiments by Ching-Shui Cheng
For unstructured experimental units, minimum aberration is a popular criterion for selecting fractional factorial designs under the hierarchical assumption. This criterion is extended to fractional factorial experiments with multiple strata.
Historical Geography, Political History, Social, Cultural and Religious Life and Institutions by Shemuel Safrai, M. Stern, David Flusser
The first aberration is the worship of the golden calf at the foot of Mount Sinai by the Israelites after the exodus from Egypt (Exod. 32: 1-4). Then comes the surprising story of the 'serpent of brass' fashioned according to the Lord's command, ...
by Jan Kabili
Removing chromatic aberration Chromatic aberration is a lens-related anomaly that can cause unwanted color to appear along image edges. Lightroom can remove some chromatic aberration automatically. 1 With DSC0149.dng open, zoom ...
by Casey Albert Wood
Aberration and irregular astigmatism. The difference in the refraction of different parts of the pupil is to be ascertained by measuring the refraction for each part separately, just as though it were a case of simple hyperopia or myopia, care being ...
by Thomas George Atkinson
Chromatic aberration is greatly accentuated in prism refraction, and this is responsible ...
Firefly Astronomy Dictionary (2003)
by John Woodruff
aberration (1) The small apparent displacement of a star's position produced by the combination of the motion of the Earth and the finite velocity of light. Annual aberration is the displacement resulting from the motion of the Earth ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Aberration
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Aberration
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Aberration
Click on an item to play that video:
- Meaning and Pronunciation of ABERRATION
- Vocabulary Word #1 --- "aberration"
"Aberration" is a noun meaning "a departure from what is normal". Click the video to see & hear this word used in examples. Facebook ...
- SCHOOL PROJECT - SAT Vocabulary (Aberration)
- Definition of aberration
- The Y.K. Dictionary - Aberration
The World's fastest and easiest Movie Dictionary! Intermediate vocabulary available for all people to enjoy! Watch it now...the new learning experience...The Y.K. ...
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "Aberration"
- Dictionary - aberration
See also the pronunciation examples of Aberration!
Quotes about Aberration
The 200 years when Britain and the US were the top two economies were an aberration and that will change. The decline of empires has happened much faster than folks think. I believe that gold will be a far better bet in 20 years than the dollar. (Tom Winnifrith)
more quotes about aberration...
Scrabble value of A1B3E1R1R1A1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 10-letter word is 12 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Aberration to see it in context!