On this page:
- Abilene is a city in Taylor and Jones counties in west central Texas. The population was 117,063 according to the 2010 census making it the twenty-seventh most populous city in the state of Texas. It is the principal city of the Abilene Metropolitan Statistical Area, which had a 2011 estimated population of 166,416. It is the county seat of Taylor County. Dyess Air Force Base is located on the west side of the city.
- Abilene is a city in and the county seat of Dickinson County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 6,844. The Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library and Museum is located in Abilene.
- Abilene or simply Abila was a plain, a district in Coele-Syria, of which the chief town was Abila Lysaniou. The limits of this region are nowhere exactly defined, but it seems to have included the eastern slopes of Anti-Lebanon range, and to have extended south and southeast of Damascus as far as the borders of Galilaea, Batanaea, and Trachonitis. According to Flavius Josephus, Abilene was a separate Iturean kingdom until 37 AD.
- Abilene is a Venue, Building in Rochester.
- also known as Abilene Bar and Lounge, Abilene Bar & Lounge
- official website: www.abilenebarandlounge.com
- Abilene is a small unincorporated community farming community in Charlotte County, Virginia, United States. It is centered on the local convenience store Abilene Junction, formerly known as Abilene Grocery. Located on the Norfolk Southern Railroad line, Abilene Junction was once a popular stop for tourists riding the train, providing them with refreshments, hot meals, and Southern hospitality. Currently, Abilene consists of numerous small farms, producing mainly tobacco, hay, and beef. One of the last wooden bridges left in Charlotte County existed in Abilene until late 2009, when a stray fire burnt it to the point that it was structurally unsound.
There are other places with in their name, like Abilene Christian University.
- "Abilene" is a song written by Bob Gibson, Lester Brown and John D. Loudermilk, and recorded by American country music artist George Hamilton IV. The song reached number one on the U.S. country music chart for four weeks, and peaked at number 15 on the pop music charts. George Hamilton IV performed "Abilene" in the 1963 movie Hootenanny Hoot.
- "Abilene" is a musical single of Tim Armstrong.
- released on
- "Abilene" is a composition.
- "Abilene" is a musical EP of Dave Alvin.
- "Abilene" is a musical album of Abilene.
- released in (16 years ago)
"Abilene" is a 1995 short film directed by Rebecca Cely.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- production design by Carey Meyer
- released in (21 years ago)
Phrases with Abilene
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abilene
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Annual Report (1892)
by Texas Agricultural Experiment Station
The black loam from Abilene is a richer soil, more clay and lime, as well as more organic matter. It is very sticky and waxy when wet. The samples from El Paso «ounty represent Mesa, ...
Texas School Journal (1905)
Abilene is an excellent college town of five thousand people. Dr. Oscar H.
Abilene Is an Important industrial center, and chief shipping point for a large territory. Other principal towns are Merkel and Trent. Terrell County. Created from Pecos County in 1905. Named for A. W. Terrell. Situated in West Texas on the Rio ...
by Alan C. Bovik
Much of the effort of Internet 2 members has focused on the Abilene network. Abilene is a high-performance backbone network formed by partnership ...
Supervising in Research, Development, and Engineering by Elizabeth Treher, David Piltz, Steven Jacobs
A trip to Abilene is an expedition that a group makes against the unspoken wishes of its members. Even if you think you will be the lone voice, speak up if you disagree with a decision. Others may agree with you but lack the courage to be the ...
A Personal Country (1998)
by A. C. Greene
The Country around Abilene is a belt of change: farm lands to the east ...
by Lucio Grandinetti
Abilene is a backbone network. It connects U.S. regional networks to each other and International networks. NLR is a collection of light paths or lambda channels that are used to construct specialized R&E networks. ESnet serves a community ...
by Association of Research Libraries. Meeting
Abilene is a high capacity backbone network that is designed to guarantee that the larger pipes we need will be available to our community. It's directed overall by the University Corporation. Our partners are Qwest, which is providing the fiber; ...
Big and Bright (2015)
Deep in the Heart of Texas High School Football by Gray Levy
Abilene is a God-fearing place with a church for every one hundred residents. The religious, social, and political conservatism of West Texas is well known, but whatever negative stereotypes may be associated with these belief systems, these ...
Innovation, Collaboration, and Technology by Carpenter, Russell G.
Abilene is a growing community, 180-miles west of the Dallas/Forth Worth metroplex, which houses five universities and an Air Force base. The Learning Studio is an 8,800-square-foot space, comprised of group collaboration rooms, recording ...
5th IEEE International Workshop on IP Operations and Management, IPOM 2005, Barcelona, Spain, October 26-28, 2005, Proceedings by Thomas Magedanz, Edmundo R.M. Madeira, Petre Dini
Abilene is a production network and consists only of 11 routers, but still the number of changes was quite high from time to time, with the maximum of 4299 times per day. Further study has shown that most of the changes were caused by link ...
Supervisors' Success Stories by Rita Stafford Dunn, Thomas C. DeBello
SCHOOL DEMOGRAPHICS Abilene is a west Texas town with a school district that serves nearly 20,000 students. Described by Mrs. Hodgin as being a "family- oriented community," Abilene also is home to three universities that contribute ...
The Top 100 Affordable Communities in the U.S. by Bert Sperling, Peter Sander
Today's Abilene is a classic small Western town located under big Western skies at the gateway to the large, dry expanse known as West Texas. Laid out on a perfect east-west–north-south grid with low brick buildings, the classic downtown ...
(including Alaska) by Mary Grace Wilmarth
So-called Abilene col. is Tert. [See fuller statement under #Marion frn. Other geologists continued to classify these beds as Perm.] E. C. Parker, 1925 (A. A. P. G. Bull., vol . 9, No.
by Bill O'Neal
Appointed to Abilene 's police force in June, 1871, ...
by Randall Herbert Balmer
Abilene Christian University denomination, the Baptist Union of Western Canada. In the throes of the Great Depres- sion, Aberhart discovered the economic theories of C. H. Douglas, which blamed distant government and financial powers for ...
by Leon Claire Metz
ABILENE, Kansas Kansas did not become a state until January 29, 1861, and it sided with the Union during the Civil War. Strong Confederate guerrilla activity ripped the state asunder, actions that helped set the stage for confrontations ...
Encyclopedia of Forms and Precedents for Pleading and Practice, at Common Law, in Equity, and Under the Various Codes and Practice Acts (1897)
by William Henry Michael, William Mack, Howard Pervear Nash, Thomas Edward O'Brien, James Cockcroft
Abilene Town-Site Co., 4» Kan. 98.) [( Title of court and cause.)] Whereas, the above named, the Abilene Town-Site Company, a corporation duly organized under the laws of the State of Kansas, intends to appeal to the district court of said ...
Abilene. Birthdate: 1909. Birthplace: Trent, Tex. Deathdate: 1994. Deathplace: Abilene. Studied: Abilene Christian College; H. A. De Young; E. Eisenlohr; Reaugh; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abilene
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abilene
Click on an item to view that photo:
Abilene. Kevin Dooley's Pan-American Trek using Google Street View.
Photo credit: kevin dooley
- Abilene Dust Storm
Photo credit: ajsmith227
- Blackbirds in Abilene
Photo credit: ajsmith227
- Harold's Bbq - Abilene, Texas
Photo credit: Anna Majkowska
- La carta del Abilene Saloon
Photo credit: BocaDorada
- Blackbirds in Abilene
Photo credit: ajsmith227
Videos about Abilene
Click on an item to play that video:
See also the pronunciation examples of Abilene!
Scrabble value of A1B3I1L1E1N1E1
The value of this 7-letter word is 9 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABILENE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Abilene!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abilene to see it in context!