On this page:
Definition of the noun abkhaz
What does abkhaz mean as a name of something?
- a member of the Circassian people who live to the east of the Black Sea
- an autonomous province of Georgia on the Black Sea; a strong independence movement has resulted in much instability
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonym of Abkhaz: Abkhazia
- instance of: province / state = the territory occupied by one of the constituent administrative districts of a nation
- part of: Georgia / Sakartvelo = a republic in Asia Minor on the Black Sea separated from Russia by the Caucasus mountains
- member: Abkhasian / Abkhazian / Abkhas = a member of the Circassian people who live to the east of the Black Sea
- Circassian people living east of the Black Sea
Alternative definition of the noun abkhaz
- A person who is from Abkhazia.
- synonym: Abkhazian
Definition of the adjective abkhaz
What does abkhaz mean as an attribute of a noun?
- of or relating to Abkazia or its people or their language
Alternative definition of the adjective abkhaz
- Of or pertaining to Abkhazia.
- synonym: Abkhazian
Abkhaz a.k.a. Abkhaz Language: Abkhaz is a Northwest Caucasian language spoken mostly by the Abkhaz people. It is the official language of Abkhazia where around 100,000 people speak it. Furthermore, it is spoken by thousands of members of the Abkhazian diaspora in Turkey, Georgia's autonomous republic of Adjara, Syria, Jordan and several Western countries. The Russian census of 2010 reported 6,786 speakers of Abkhaz in Russia.
- read more about Abkhaz Language
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abkhaz
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
The Abkhaz language (/[A.]"Aps.(wA bez.")SwA/) belongs to the North West Caucasian family (see Caucasian Languages). Abkhazians traditionally occupied the triangle framed in northwestern Transcaucasia between the Black Sea, the ...
by Joseph R. Rudolph Jr.
Abkhaz and the Georgian government by entering the capital of Abkhazia, Sukhumi. The Georgians managed to occupy five out of six districts in the region, and a violent occupation by Georgian forces began. The Georgian military also ...
by Jacques Fomerand
After Josef Stalin's death, the province was granted a considerable degree of political and cultural autonomy which was all the more significant as ethnic Abkhaz made up only 18 percent of the population of Abkhazia and ethnic Georgian 46 ...
by Dieter Wunderlich
The POSS-OBL type can be illustrated with data from the Caucasian language Abkhaz. Here, the possessor is indexed by the dative agreement marker (D) as in (66a). This marker is also used to index the single argument of a nominalized ...
by Robert Lawrence Trask
Abkhaz-Adyge (also Northwest Caucasian) A family of five languages spoken in and near the Caucasus to the east of the Black Sea. There are three subgroups: Abkhazan (Abkhaz and Abaza), Circassian (Adyge and Kabardian) and the ...
Historical encyclopaedia (1841)
entitled "Meadows of gold and mines of gems" by Mas'ûdi Ali-Abu'l-Hassan
The Abkhaz and Kha- zarians used to pay tribute to the governor of the frontiers of Tiflis, since the time when this city was subjected by the Mohammedans, who settled there (a military colony), which continued up to the reign of el-Motawakel.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abkhaz
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abkhaz
Click on an item to view that photo:
Russian checkpoint at Abkhaz border
Photo credit: gavinsblog
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Abkhaz
Video shows what Abkhaz means. Abkhazian: of or pertaining to Abkhazia, the Abkhazian people, or their language.. Abkhaz Meaning. How to pronounce ...
View more videos about Abkhaz language.
Scrabble value of A1B3K5H4A1Z10
The value of this 6-letter word is 24 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Abkhaz to find many related words and phrases!