Able appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Able was I, ere I saw Elba.
- As able ikons sap it, I pass no kielbasa.
- No sibling able to hate let a hotel bag nil bison.
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective able
- Definition of the noun able
- Definition of the verb able
- Phrases with Able
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Able
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Able
- Photos about Able
- Video language resources about Able
- Quotes about Able
- Scrabble value of A1B3L1E1
- Anagrams of ABLE
- Share this page
The word able is considered to be an easy one, according to the Dale-Chall word list, which includes 3000 words that all fourth-grade American students should know and understand.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective able
What does able mean as an attribute of a noun?
adjective - degrees: more able / abler | most able / ablest
- (usually followed by `to') having the necessary means or skill or know-how or authority to do something
- examples: able to swim | she was able to program her computer | we were at last able to buy a car | able to get a grant for the project
- antonym: unable
- have the skills and qualifications to do things well
- having inherent physical or mental ability or capacity
- examples: able to learn | human beings are able to walk on two feet | Superman is able to leap tall buildings
- similar: capable
- having a strong healthy body
Alternative definition of the adjective able
- [dated] Healthy.
- Permitted to; not prevented from; having the power or capacity to.
- See Skillful.
- [legal] Legally qualified or competent.
Definition of the noun able
What does able mean as a name of something?
Specialised definition of the noun able
Glossary of sports
physically or mentally equipped to do something (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
having the necessary resources or talent to do something (2006. Dictionary of Sport and Exercise Science. A&C Black Publishers Ltd)
Definition of the verb able
What does able mean as a doing word?
- [transitive, obsolete] To make capable; to enable; to strengthen.
- [transitive, obsolete] To vouch for.
- The Able was a small French cyclecar made in Avignon by Paul Toulouse, built between 1920 and 1927.
- Able a.k.a. Able Electropolishing is the world’s largest electropolishing specialist, offering validated electropolishing, passivation, titanium anodizing, titanium finishing, deburring, ultracleaning, and laser marking services. Able is ISO 9001 and 13485 registered, and has been serving the medical industry since 1954. Able is capable of electropolishing nearly any alloy including all stainless steels, titanium, nitinol, aluminum, brass and copper.
- read more about Able Electropolishing
- The Able was an American car produced in Mount Vernon, New York between 1917 and 1919. It was a small production car, featuring its own engines, though other components were proprietary. In 1920 the car became the Vernon.
- Able is a fictional character from the television series Tron: Uprising.
- Able is a fictional film character.
- ABLE is a simplified programming language targeted at accounting applications.
- Able is an educational institution, school.
- Able is a school, educational institution.
- Able is an event, disaster.
- Able a.k.a. -able is an adjective suffix, now usually in a passive sense; forms adjectives meaning possible, or fit.
Phrases with Able
Phrases starting with the word Able:
- Able Rating
- able seaman
- able-bodied seaman
- Able to Get a Word in Edgewise
Phrases ending with the word Able:
Other phrase containing the word Able:
View more phrases with the word Able in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Able
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Global Perspectives, Local Designs by Curtis J. Bonk, Charles R. Graham
Being able means having an organization that actively supports the ...
by Voltaire, Tobias Smollett, John Morley, William F. Fleming, Oliver Herbrand Gordon Leigh
ABLE— ABILITY. Able. — An adjective term, which, like almost all others, has different acceptations as it is differently employed. In general it signifies more than capable, more than well-informed, whether applied to an artist, a general, a man ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Able
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Able
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: ky_olsen
Photo credit: urbanwoodchuck
Eustace Street, Temple Bar, Dublin
Photo credit: photographerpandora
Able working at the convenience store next door to Cebuview Tourist Inn
Photo credit: Exciting Cebu -- Rusty Ferguson
- Able Disk Filter Comparison
Photo credit: ChrisL_AK
- Claire & Able
Photo credit: fo.ol
- YD63FFV Able coaches
seen 05/05/14 on Parliament sq London
Photo credit: eastleighbusman
- Able Notecard Pattern
Photo credit: ChrisL_AK
View more pictures about Able Tasman.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Able
Click on an item to play that video:
- A Lesson 01 Pronunciation and meaning Ability Able Abrupt About Above Absent
Pronunciation and meaning Ability Able Abrupt About Above Absent.
- The Definition of Able
- Meaning and Pronunciation of ABLE
- Able Seamen Job Description
Able Seamen Job Description.
- Language Arts - Able Island (teaser #1)
Able Island is the new album by Language Arts. Album out October 9th via Maple Music Recordings...
- Able Lives - History of Disability Rights / Language
- Language Arts - Able Island (teaser #2)
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "Able"
- VERB PODER ( CAN/BE ABLE - PODER - POUVOIR )
In this video you will learn how to conjugate the verb PODER in the presente and past tense in Brazilian Portuguese.
- Using verb "To Can" and phrase "To be able" to in Gujarati : Learn Gujarati with Kaushik Lele
- Able AAC Language options
- Dictionary - able
Dictionary - able.
See also the pronunciation examples of Able!
Quotes about Able
Maturity: Be able to stick with a job until it is finished. Be able to bear an injustice without having to get even. Be able to carry money without spending it. Do your duty without being supervised. (Ann Landers)
more quotes about able...
Scrabble value of A1B3L1E1
The value of this 4-letter word is 6 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABLE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
What do you get if you reverse the order of the letters?
See also the index of semordnilaps!
What do you get if you rearrange the letters in other ways?
See also the blanagrams of Able!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Able to see it in context!