On this page:
Definition of the noun able seaman
What does able seaman mean as a name of something?
- a seaman in the merchant marine; trained in special skills
- Able Seaman a.k.a. Sailor: A sailor, seaman, mariner, or seafarer is a person who navigates waterborne vessels or assists as a crewmember in their operation and maintenance. The term bluejacket may be used for British or US Navy sailors, the latter especially when deployed ashore as infantry. The Bluejacket's Manual is the basic handbook for United States Navy personnel. 700,000 of the world's mariners come from the Philippines, being the world's largest origin of seafarers.
- also known as Mornar, 水手, Purjetaja, Manlalayag, Marinero, Anak Buah Kapal, ABK, นักเดินเรือ, 海員
- Able Seaman: In the British Royal Navy in the middle of the 18th century, the term able seaman referred to a seaman with at least two years' experience at sea. Seamen with less experience were referred to as landmen or ordinary seamen.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Able Seaman
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Library of Universal Knowledge and an Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language ...
ORDINARY SEAMAN, one less competent than an able seaman. SEA'MANSHIP, n. -ship, knowledge ...
D-Day Encyclopedia (2014)
Everything You Want to Know About the Normandy Invasion by Barrett Tillman
Senior leading seaman Matrosenstabsgefreiter Petty officer third class Leading seaman Matrosenhauptgefreiter2 —— Seaman first class Seaman second class Notes: Leading seaman Able seaman Ordinary seaman Matrosen-obergefreiter ...
by Heinrich Paasch
Able Seaman. One, who has been several years at sea, and who is practically acquainted with all branches of a common seaman's work; as furling and reefing of sails, taking up and down of masts and yards, the splicing of all kinds of ropes, ...
by Bryan A. Garner
able-bodied seaman; able seaman. The former, though much more recent, seems to be the usual term in admiralty law, meaning "a merchant seaman certified for all seaman's duties" (AHD). It is abbreviated AB. The phrase able ...
Giving the Derivation, Source, Or Origin of Common Phrases, Allusions, and Words that Have a Tale to Tell by Ebenezer Cobham Brewer
An able seaman is a skilled seaman ...
Pronouncing, Etymological, and Explanatory; Embracing Scientific and Other Terms, Numerous Familiar Terms and a Copious Selection of Old English Words by James Stormonth, Philip Henry Phelp
ordinary seaman, one less competent than an able seaman ; sea manship, n. -skip, knowledge of the art ...
Biographical Notices, and Records of Naval Officers; Special Articles of Naval Art and Science
An abbreviation signifying Able Seaman. See Ants. Ahab. A Turkish sailor who plies ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Able Seaman
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Able Seaman
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Able Seaman
Photo credit: defaulterror
- Able Seaman Cooper
ID number: 006848
Photographer: Silk, George
Date: March 1941
Able Seaman Cooper of HMAS Perth, showing off his beard.
- Able Seaman Dom and Nilesh
Photo credit: nick farnhill
- Able Seaman Jones
Photo credit: Jan Tik
- Able Seaman Martin Carroll
Happy Fthers Day from the Gulf of Mexico. Martin
Photo credit: Irish Defence Forces
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Able Seaman to see it in context!