The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the noun abortion:
On this page:
- Definition of the noun abortion
- Phrases with Abortion
- Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Abortion
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abortion
- Photos about Abortion
- Video language resources about Abortion
- Quotes about Abortion
- Scrabble value of A1B3O1R1T1I1O1N1
- Anagrams of ABORTION
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun abortion
What does abortion mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: abortions
- termination of pregnancy
- lexical domain: Acts - nouns denoting acts or actions
- more generic words: conclusion / ending / termination = the act of ending something
- more specific terms:
- failure of a plan
Alternative definition of the noun abortion
- [medicine or dated] The cessation of pregnancy or fetal development; a miscarriage.
- synonym: misbirth
- An induced abortion.
- The act of inducing abortion.
- [dated] The immature product of an untimely birth.
- [biology] Arrest of development of any organ, so that it remains an imperfect formation or is absorbed.
- Any fruit or produce that does not come to maturity, or anything which is interrupted in its progress before it is matured or perfect.
- The act of aborting a project, a mission, etc, before it is completed.
- [arts] Something ugly, an artistic atrocity.
Abortion is a musical group.
- albums: "Have a Nice Day", "The Gonzo Music", "Murdured Culture", "Gonna Be Worse", "The Truth Hurts", "Sense of Humor"
Who is Abortion?
Abortion a.k.a. Raphael Edem Avornyo is a singer.
- read more about Raphael Edem Avornyo
- "Abortion" is a book by Laurence Tribe.
- also known as "Abortion: The Clash of Absolutes"
- subjects: Family, Marriage, Family planning, Social science, United States of America
- "Abortion" is a book by Tamara L Roleff.
- subject: Abortion
Abortion is the ending of pregnancy by the removal or forcing out from the womb of a fetus or embryo before it is able to survive on its own. An abortion can occur spontaneously, in which case it is often called a miscarriage. It can also be purposely caused in which case it is known as an induced abortion. The term abortion most commonly refers to the induced abortion of a human pregnancy. The similar procedure after the fetus may be able to survive on its own is medically known as a "late termination of pregnancy".
- also known as Therapeutic Abortion
Phrases with Abortion
Phrases starting with the word Abortion:
Phrases ending with the word Abortion:
- induced abortion
- partial abortion
- Chemical Abortion
- habitual abortion
- imminent abortion
- contagious abortion
- incomplete abortion
- threatened abortion
- spontaneous abortion
- therapeutic abortion
- Partial-Birth Abortion
Printed encyclopedias and other books with definitions for Abortion
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Karla R. Lovaasen
Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy by natural causes or medical intervention.
by Kamalesh Dey
Abortion refers to the abolition of a foetus or embryo from uterus just before stage of viability.
by Alfred F. Tallia, Joseph E. Scherger, Nancy Dickey
Threatened abortion is any vaginal bleeding through a closed cervical os. Inevitable abortion involves...
Missed abortion is the retention of all products of conception after the death of the fetus and is usually asymptomatic. a. 2. d. There is no ...
Fetal and Neonatal Pathology (2013)
by Jean W. Keeling
Missed abortion refers to those pregnancies where the fetus has died in utero, without a defined time-span although older...
It has been said that missed abortion is a poor descriptive term and that the term “intrauterine death at x weeks” is a...
Incidence Spontaneous abortion is the most common complication of pregnancy.
Being an Aid to the Student in the Class-room, in Private Study and in Preparing for Examinations by Robert Barnes
Abortion is an accident of many of the diseases of gestation. Three factors...
Abortion means the arrest of gestation at a stage antecedent to the viability of the embryo. Abortion is...
Abortion is the scientific equivalent of the vulgar miscarriage.
An Atlas by Dagmar K. Kalousek, Naomi Fitch, Barbara A. Paradice
An incomplete abortion means that some of the presumably dead conceptus has not yet passed; if a dead conceptus is retained for at least four...
The late spontaneous abortion refers to death in the 9th to 18th week of fetal development .
The Last Freedom (2009)
Religion from the Public School to the Public Square by Joseph P. Viteritti
This announcement disturbed leaders in the Catholic Church, who believe that abortion is the taking of an innocent life.
Science and Practice by Marcus Filshie, John Guillebaud
Filshie Introduction Abortion is a universal phenomenon which has been recorded since ancient times and in all levels of society. It may be defined as the loss of a pregnancy before the 28th week of intrauterine life as calculated by ...
Wavelength One (2011)
A Physics/Metaphysics Translation of Biblical Phenomena by Carlis Vernon
The abortion is the sacrifice to the greaterproblem of conspiracy,oraction with intent to violate thespecific principle of existence and ...
by Carole Joffe, Jennifer Reich
The one historical constant about abortion is that whether legal or not, controversial or not, women have always sought...
It's Perfectly Normal (2014)
Changing Bodies, Growing Up, Sex, and Sexual Health by Robie H. Harris
abortion is a medical procedure performed for the purpose of ending a pregnancy. Some pregnant females choose to have abortions. People's feelings about having abortions are not always simple, however, and can range from relief to ...
by Andrzej Kulczycki
Moreover, abortion is an extremely personal topic, made even more difficult to study and to discuss because it is illegal in...
What's Good on TV? (2011)
Understanding Ethics Through Television by Jamie Carlin Watson, Robert Arp
Abortion is an intentional killing. 5.Killing a mosquito is an intentional killing. 3.
by Beverley Henderson, Jennifer Lee Dorsey
Abortion is the termination of a pregnancy before the embryo or the fetus is able to exist on its own.
A therapeutic or induced abortion is a deliberate termination of pregnancy and is most commonly performed during the first trimester ...
by William H. Swatos, Peter Kivisto
AA see Alcoholics Anonymous AAR see American Academy of Religion ABORTION In current usage: the practice of intentionally terminating a pregnancy prior to childbirth; historically, any termination of pregnancy prior to childbirth. Abortion ...
by Joyce E. Salisbury
Abortion Our oldest records indicate that the practice of inducing abortions was used throughout the an- cient world. There were many methods for inducing abortions, from surgery to irritating the cervix to taking abortifacient herbs.
Historical and Multicultural Encyclopedia of Women's Reproductive Rights in the United States (2002)
by Judith A. Baer
Abortion Self-Help 19 Act (FACE) in May 1994. FACE forbids the use of "force, threat of force or physical obstruction" by anyone attempting to prevent someone from providing or receiving any kind of reproductive health services. It also gives ...
by Randall Herbert Balmer
Abortion avenues of resistance, especially the Underground Railroad. As the chasm between North and South widened over the issue of slavery, Protestant denominations divided in anticipation of the Civil War. The *SOUTH- ERN BAPTIST ...
Encyclopedia of Rape (2004)
by Merril D. Smith
ABORTION findings, or simply modified traditional views, to insist some measure of female consent and pleasure was essential to pregnancy. In the colonial era and beyond, women turned to an array of means to end conception and restore ...
by Thomas H. Ollendick, Carolyn S. Schroeder
Adolescent Abortion 12 Substance abuse is another problem that can lead to juvenile delinquency. Almost all adolescents have been exposed to illicit drugs. However, for some adolescents, drug experimentation can lead to substance abuse, ...
by Donald B. Kraybill
Aboriginal Anabaptists See Native American Anabaptists Abortion Among traditional groups, abortion is considered a serious moral sin. Children are highly desired and welcomed as gifts from God to be cherished and nurtured in the ways of ...
by Immanuel Ness
The ability to freely make these decisions and have significant control over reproduction has been the driving force behind what has come to be known as the abortion rights movement. Although Roe v. Wade (1973) is often thought of as the ...
Encyclopedia of White Power (2000)
A Sourcebook on the Radical Racist Right by Jeffrey Kaplan
A majority, in the Right Wing oriented racialist movement, rightly perceive massive abortion as further impacting the survival of the White race. Unfortunately, this position is more tied to those with a religious position, usually Christians.
Encyclopedia of Islam (2009)
by Juan Eduardo Campo
Abortion is a human intervention to end a pregnancy prior to birth. Although people living in many different societies throughout history have practiced it, abortion has caused considerable reflection and debate about its ethical, legal, religious, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abortion
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abortion
Click on an item to view that photo:
Catholics live outside of the real world.
They let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Photo credit: Elijah
Photo credit: teofilo
- Abortion Memorial
Abortion Memorial Marker at a grave yard near Berlin, Ohio.
Photo credit: DrGBB
- Abortion on Demand and Without Apology
Photo credit: World Can't Wait
- Abortion kills children
Photo credit: utsfl
- November Demonstration Against Abortion
Photo credit: utsfl
- "MINI ABORTION"
that's what is says in russian in bottom right
photos from batumi, georgia, as part of trip documented on offsilkroadin.com
Photo credit: peretzp
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Abortion
Click on an item to play that video:
- Abortion meaning and opinion
- Abortion Meaning
- Terminology, Rigmarole, & Rhetoric of Abortion Advocacy
Listen to the arguments of students across America used to defend killing preborn children.
- GCSE Revision Unit B603: Explanation of Euthanasia and Abortion
Key points of Euthanasia and abortion debate, including religious view and key quotes and covering reasons for and against, double effect.
- Republican abortion meaning and pronunciation
An "accident" that leads to a "miscarriage." The termination of a pro-life person's unplanned pregnancy without having a proper abortion performed. Called ...
- Abortion: Supreme Court wrong on 'unborn' definition
- Abortion. Miss. calls for vote on 'definition' of a person.
- Medical Terminology JJ-T01-0060 abortion
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = abortion
- VOCABULARY IN 20 LANGUAGES = illegal abortion
- Senate Democrats Cry Foul Over Abortion Language in Trafficking Bill
Senate Democrats slammed Republicans on Tuesday for abortion language included in an anit-human trafficking bill, which they claimed was added without ...
- Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers: Abortion Language in Human Trafficking Bill Not 'Controversial'
Read the accompanying article at NewsBusters: ...
- Senate GOP Fights Dems Over Abortion Language
Senate Republicans urged Democrats Wednesday to end a filibuster on an anti-sex trafficking bill. Democrats have protested the bill over wording that prohibits ...
- TheJournal.ie : Senator in emotional appeal over graphic abortion language
Labour Senator Marie Maloney was visibly upset in the Seanad chamber today as she urged colleagues to stop using such graphic language as the debate on ...
- Lawmakers Disagree on Abortion Language
Democrats and Republicans are at odds over abortion language in both the health care reform bill and the executive order President Barack Obama will sign ...
- Abortion Language Delays Health Care Bill
Some Dems want to remove public funding for abortions from Obama's proposal.
- Cao Calls for Anti Abortion Language in Final Days Before Health Care Vote
Congressman Anh "Joseph" Cao (LA-2)
- Bart Stupak: Abortion Language In Health Care Bill Is A Must (Video)
- Stupak, White House Negotiating an Executive Order to Change Abortion Language in Health Bill
- Ben Nelson Announces (2) Abortion Language Agreement
- STUPAK ANTI ABORTION AMENDANDMENT LANGUAGE MUST BE CHANGED OR TAKEN OUT OF HEALTH CARE REFORM BILL
- Ben Nelson Announces (3) Abortion Language Agreement
- Stupak Announces Deal With W.H. for an Executive Order Clarifying Abortion Language in Health Bill
- Ben Nelson Announces (1) Abortion Language Agreement
- Dems Reject Anti Abortion Language In Health Care Bill
- Sen. Orrin Hatch Introduces Abortion Amendment Despite Language Already In Bill
- PSA AP Language & Composition Assignment: Pro Abortion
- Senate GOP Fights Dems Over Abortion Language
Senate Republicans urged Democrats Wednesday to end a filibuster on an anti-sex trafficking bill. Democrats have protested the bill over wording that prohibits .
See also the pronunciation examples of Abortion!
Quotes about Abortion
Scrabble value of A1B3O1R1T1I1O1N1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABORTION
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Abortion!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abortion to see it in context!