Above Us the Waves
On this page:
"Above Us the Waves" is a 1955 British war film directed by Ralph Thomas, about human torpedo and midget submarine attacks on the German battleship Tirpitz. It is based on two true-life attacks on the Tirpitz by British commando frogmen, first using Chariot manned torpedoes in Operation Title in 1942, and then X-Craft midget submarines in Operation Source in 1943. Some of the original equipment was used in the film.
- also known as Operation Tirpitz
- country: United Kingdom
- languages: English Language, German Language, Swedish Language
- producer: William MacQuitty
- executive producer: Earl St. John
- art direction by George Provis
- written by Philip Loraine
- based on a story by Charles Esme Thornton Warren & James D. Benson
- John Mills as Cmdr. Fraser
- John Gregson as Lt Alec Duffy
- Donald Sinden as Lt Tom Corbett
- James Robertson Justice as Adm. Ryder
- Michael Medwin as Smart
- James Kenney as Abercrombie
- O. E. Hasse as Captain of the Tirpitz
- Lee Patterson as Cox
- William Russell as Ramsey
- Theodore Bikel as German Officer
- Harry Towb as McCleery
- Cyril Chamberlain as CPO Chubb
- Anthony Wager as George
- Leslie Weston as Winley
- Lyndon Brook as Diver Navigator
- cinematography by Ernest Steward
- edited by Gerald Thomas
- music by Arthur Benjamin
- genres: War film, Drama
- tagline: A story of impudent gallantry!
- released on (60 years ago)
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Above Us the Waves
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Thomas S. Hischak
Above Us the Waves, an action film set during the World War II battle for the Atlantic, has some stirring music. One theme captures the ebb and flow of the sea with a series of horn and string crescendos, while another, played by a harmonica ...
by Richard B. Armstrong, Mary Willems Armstrong
Above Us the Waves (¡956); The Deep Six (¡958); Run Silent, Run Deep (¡ 958); The ...
by David Thomson
Above Us the Waves (54, Ralph Thomas); Ice Cold in ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Above Us the Waves
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Above Us the Waves
Above us the waves
At the technical rehearsal of the Opening Ceremony. London 2012 Olympics.
Photo credit: Carine06
Quotes about Above Us the Waves
Couldn't select: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MariaDB server version for the right syntax to use near 'Above Us the Waves"" IN BOOLEAN MODE) LIMIT 1,1' at line 1