Abraham Joshua Heschel
On this page:
Who is Abraham Joshua Heschel?
Abraham Joshua Heschel was a Polish-born American rabbi and one of the leading Jewish theologians and Jewish philosophers of the 20th century. Heschel, a professor of Jewish mysticism at the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, authored a number of widely read books on Jewish philosophy and was active in the American Civil Rights movement.
- also known as Abraham Heschel, Abraham Joseph Heschel
- born on (109 years ago) in Warsaw
- ethnicity: Jewish people, Poles
- nationality: United States of America, Poland
- religion: Judaism
- education: PhD (Philosophy) at Humboldt University of Berlin, graduated in
- profession: Rabbi, philosopher, professor
- parent of Susannah Heschel
- died on (43 years ago) in New York
- written works: "The Sabbath", "God In Search of Man", "Moral Grandeur and Spiritual Audacity", "Man Is Not Alone", "Man's quest for God", "Maīmonide", "The circle of the Baal Shem Tov", "Die Prophetie", "Israel: an echo of eternity", "Who is man?", "To grow in wisdom", "The prophets", "The earth is the Lord's, and The Sabbath"
- some of the awards:
- Guggenheim Fellowship for Humanities, US & Canada (Religion)
- National Jewish Book Award for Modern Jewish Thought & Experience - "Israel: an echo of eternity"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abraham Joshua Heschel
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Yudit Kornberg Greenberg
The foremost Jewish pioneer of interfaith dialogue in the twentieth century was Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel, who played a prominent role in negotiations between Jewish organizations and the hierarchy of the Catholic Church before and ...
by Rafael Medoff, Chaim I. Waxman
̄ Abraham Joshua Heschel eloquently put it this way: Throughout the ages wesaid ®No ̄ to all the conquerors ofPalestine.Wesaid ®No ̄ before Godand man emphatically, daily.We objected to the occupations, werejectedtheirclaims, we ...
A Lexicon of Terror (2011)
Argentina and the Legacies of Torture, Revised and Updated with a New Epilogue by Marguerite Feitlowitz
A protégé of Abraham Joshua Heschel, Meyer founded the first Conservative rabbinical seminary ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abraham Joshua Heschel
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Quotes about Abraham Joshua Heschel
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abraham Joshua Heschel to see it in context!