On this page:
Who is Abraham Polonsky?
Abraham Polonsky: Abraham Lincoln Polonsky was an American film director, Academy-Award-nominated screenwriter, essayist and novelist, blacklisted by the Hollywood movie studios in the 1950s, in the midst of the McCarthy era.
- also known as Abraham Lincoln Polonsky, Abe, Abraham L. Polonsky
- born on (105 years ago) in New York City, child of Henry Polonsky and Rebecca Polonsky
- ethnicity: Jewish people
- nationality: United States of America
- profession: Lawyer, writer, screenwriter, film director, author
- Marriage with Sylvia Marrow between and (56 years)
- died on (16 years ago) in Beverly Hills of myocardial infarction
- written works: "Force of evil", "Odds against tomorrow", "You Are There Teleplays", "The world above", "Zenia's way", "A season of fear", "To illuminate our time", "The enemy sea"
- films written:
- films directed:
- nomination: - nominated to Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay - "Body and Soul"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abraham Polonsky
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Andrew Spicer
A moderately successful novelist, Abraham Polonsky joined Enterprise Productions and wrote the Oscar- nominated original screenplay for Body and Soul (1947), directed by Robert Rossen, a powerful ...
Encyclopedia of Film Noir (2007)
by Geoff Mayer, Brian McDonnell
Director: Abraham Polonsky. Producer: Bob Roberts. Script: Abraham Polonsky and Ira Wolfert, from the novel Tucker's People by Ira Wolfert. Cinematography: George Barnes.
Encyclopedia of Sports Films (2010)
by K Edgington, Thomas Erskine, James M. Welsh
SCREENPLAY: Abraham Polonsky. PRODUCER: Bob Roberts. CINEMATOGRAPHY: james Wong Howe. EDITING: Francis D. Lyon, Robert Parrish. MUSIC: Hugo Friedhofer. ART DIRECTION: Nathan juran. CAST: john Garfield (Charlie ...
by Thomas S. Hischak
Skating to New York Director Bernard Girard James Goldstone Abraham Polonsky George Schaefer Paul Bogart Robert Scheerer Robert Mulligan Henry Hathaway James Goldstone Philip Kaufman Richard A. Colla ...
Encyclopedia of Television (2014)
by Horace Newcomb
For Danger, a McCarthy-era series produced by Martin Ritt and with scripts often supplied by blacklisted writers (Abraham Polonsky, Walter Bernstein, and others) under "front" names, Lumet ...
A Snide, Sarcastic Guide to Verbal Sparring, Comebacks, Irony, Insults, and Much More by Lawrence Dorfman
— ABRAHAM POLONSKY The only way to spend New Year's Eve is either.
Dictionary of Film Makers (1972)
by Georges Sadoul, Peter Morris
for Abraham Polonsky Force of Evil (48), for Richard Fleischer So This is New York ( 48), for Richard Wallace A Kiss for Corliss (49), for Ted Tetzlaff The White Tower ( 50), ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abraham Polonsky
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic: