The following statistics are based on the British National Corpus, so they are representative for the British English.
Distribution of usage frequency for the most common synonyms of the adjective absolute:
On this page:
- Definition of the adjective absolute
- Definition of the noun absolute
- Phrases with Absolute
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Absolute
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Absolute
- Photos about Absolute
- Video language resources about Absolute
- Quotes about Absolute
- Scrabble value of A1B3S1O1L1U1T1E1
- Anagrams of ABSOLUTE
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the adjective absolute
What does absolute mean as an attribute of a noun?
Absolute is one of the top 1000 most common adjectives in the English language.
adjective - degrees: more absolute / absoluter | most absolute / absolutest
- perfect or complete or pure
- complete and without restriction or qualification; sometimes used informally as intensifiers
- not limited by law
- example: an absolute monarch
- similar: arbitrary
- expressing finality with no implication of possible change
- not capable of being violated or infringed
Alternative definition of the adjective absolute
- Loosed from any limitation or condition; uncontrolled; unrestricted; unconditional; as, absolute authority, monarchy, sovereignty, an absolute promise or command.
- synonym: positive
- Complete in itself; perfect; consummate; faultless.
- synonym: peremptory
- Viewed apart from modifying influences or without comparison with other objects; actual; real; — opposed to relative and [compar]; as, absolute motion; absolute time or space.
- synonym: certain
- Loosed from, or unconnected by, dependence on any other being; self-existent; self-sufficing.
- synonym: unconditional
- Capable of being thought or conceived by itself alone; unconditioned; non-relative.
- synonym: unlimited
- [rare] Positive; clear; certain; not doubtful.
- synonym: unrestricted
- [rare] Authoritative; peremptory.
- synonym: unqualified
- [chemistry] Pure; unmixed; as, absolute alcohol.
- synonym: arbitrary
- [grammar] Not immediately dependent on the other parts of the sentence in government; as, the case absolute. (See ablative absolute.)
- synonym: despotic
Definition of the noun absolute
What does absolute mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: absolutes
- something that is conceived or that exists independently and not in relation to other things; something that does not depend on anything else and is beyond human control; something that is not relative
Alternative definition of the noun absolute
- That which is independent of context-dependent interpretation, inviolate, fundamental.
- [geometry] In a plane, the two imaginary circular points at infinity; in space of three dimensions, the imaginary circle at infinity.
- "Absolute" is a 2007 thriller drama short film written by Matthew Jensen and Jake Stormoen and directed by Matthew Jensen.
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producer: Matthew Jensen
- executive producer: Ruben Najera
- written by Matthew Jensen
- based on a story by Jake Stormoen
- cinematography by Eric Waldron
- edited by Matthew Jensen
- music by Jillian Abood
- genres: Thriller, Drama
- released in (8 years ago)
- "Absolute" is a 2007 short film directed by Matthew Pritchard.
- released in (8 years ago)
Phrases with Absolute
Phrases starting with the word Absolute:
- Absolute Mean
- Absolute Time
- absolute zero
- Absolute Error
- absolute pitch
- Absolute Power
- absolute scale
- absolute space
- absolute value
- Absolute address
- absolute alcohol
- absolute ceiling
- Absolute Drought
- Absolute Humidity
- absolute majority
- Absolute monarchy
Phrases ending with the word Absolute:
View more phrases with the word Absolute in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Absolute
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Annotations — ' Every adjective refers to some noun or its equivalent, expressed or understood The adjective absolute is an adjective with the definite article prefixed and having its noun understood ; as, "The rich," "The poor," "The Sublime ...
Grief with Ease (2016)
An Incipient View of the Quintessence Unplugged Speculation as Coadjutor Future by Mercy Montes
Being absolute means you exist. Being absolute means you have a life force that derives from God. Comparison and jealousy are the type of negative vibrations which may affect your vibration, but they don't affect the fact that you do exist.
Lessons in Logic (1870)
by William Stanley Jevons
The adjective absolute means whatever is "loosed from connection with anything else" (Latin ab, from, and solutus, loosed); whereas relative means that which is carried in thought, at least, into connection with something else. Hence a relative ...
Dictionary of Energy (1991)
ABSOLUTE ALCOHOL Usually applied to ethanol ...
by Frederick Stroud, Elsie May Wheeler, John McDonald Burke
ABSOLUTE AND INDEFEASIBLE. --As used in ss. 2, 3, Prescription Act, 1832; V. per Lindlcy, L. J., Wheaten v. Maple, cited EASEMENT. ABSOLUTE ASSIGNMENT. — An “Absolute Assignment " which (after “ Express Notice ...
by Greg N. Gregoriou
Rye, NY, USA Absolute return is the performance return an asset earns over a particular time period. This return is the ultimate product that an asset manager delivers to a particular client. It is important to note that ...
by John Michael Cooper
ABSOLUTE MUSIC. (Fr., musique pure; Ger., absolute Musik.) Music that is considered to be free of (Lat. absolutus) any coherence, logic, or meaning that is not itself inherently and solely musical. Since it supposedly is neither inspired nor ...
A Dictionary of Epidemiology (2014)
by Miquel Porta
ABSOLUTE RISK INCREASE (ARI) The absolute risk of adverse events in the exposed or treatment group (ART) minus the absolute risk of events in the control group (ARC): ARI = ART–ARC. Same as RISK DIFFERENCE. Also, the proportion ...
Dictionary of Military Terms (2009)
by U.S. Department of Defense
absolute altimeter — (*) A type of altimeter which measures vertical distance to the surface below, using radio, radar, sonic, laser, or capacitive technology. absolute dud — A nuclear weapon ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Absolute
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Absolute
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Rexness
Photo credit: Karen Gadbois
all of them are creative logo works
Photo credit: social works
- Absolute Radio
Photo credit: Gustav H
- At first, there was absolute silence.
Photo credit: Nick Kenrick..
- Absolute Sky
Photo credit: Spider58
Photo credit: Sharon.Z99
- Pavilion of Absolute Perfection II
Serene garden and very photogenic
'The Nan Lian Garden, located in the opposite of the Chi Lin Nunnery, is a Chinese Classical Garden also built in the style of the Tang dynasty. The scenic garden covers an area of 35,000 square metres is maintained by the Chi Lin Nunnery.' (Wikipedia)
'This octagonal pavilion stands in the middle of the octagonal lotus-shaped pond, a symbol of absolute perfection and fulfillment in all aspects of life, and blessings to all visitors. Access to the pavilion is over the twin vermilion Zi and Wu (which amongst other things mean North and South) bridges which also mark the central meridian of the garden.'...
Photo credit: andryn2006
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Absolute
Click on an item to play that video:
- Derivatives: Absolute Maximum & Minimum (Q.1) - Quick Explanation!
Find many similar practice questions and video explanations at...
- Absolute Definition / Sano / Michael Scipione
Promotional video for Absolute Definition, specializing in personal training and healthy cooking. Appointments only.
- Gut Studio by Absolute Definition
Suspension Chest Press Superset.
- Absolute Definition/Sano Supersetting Triceps
- Absolute Definition - Gut Studio
- Gut Studio by Absolute Definition
- Absolute Definition - Sano - Tilapia Tacos
Fish Tacos, Tilapia...
- Absolute return - definition
The absolute return or simply return is a measure of the gain or loss on an investment portfolio expressed as a percentage of invested capital. reference: ...
- Gut Studio by Absolute Definition
- Absolute Definition / Crab corn Avacado Salad / Healthy Cooking / Sano / / Mike Scipione
Absolute Definition Sano\ Michael Scipione \ Healthy Cooking \ Crab Corn and Avacado Salad.
- Absolute Definition / Green sauce / Healthy Cooking / Sano / Salsa Verde / Mike Scipione
Absolute Definition, Sano, Green Sauce, Salsa Verde - Healthy Food Demo, Mike Scipione, Michael Scipione.
- Absolute superlative Meaning
Video shows what absolute superlative means. In Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, and Catalan; the form of an adjective formed by adding the suffixes -issimo, ...
- Richard Ashcroft - Absolute radio live session- Check the meaning
- Absolute Beneficiary - What is the DEFINITION - Financial Dictionary
- Absolute Vintage v1.1 update by DavidiSoft ENGLISH language
- Description of Pulse By Absolute Fireworks - From Galactic Fireworks
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "Absolute"
- Lrnteach/TEFL Dictionary: Absolute Modifier
View more videos about The Absolute, Absolute Mean, Absolute pitch, Absolute Space, Absolute value, ablative absolute, Absolute majority, Absolute monarchy, Absolute advantage, Absolute Beginners, and Absolute Deviation.
See also the pronunciation examples of Absolute!
Quotes about Absolute
Scrabble value of A1B3S1O1L1U1T1E1
The value of this 8-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABSOLUTE
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Absolute!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Absolute to see it in context!