On this page:
Definition of the noun abstract thought
What does abstract thought mean as a name of something?
- thinking that is coherent and logical
- lexical domain: Cognitive Processes - nouns denoting cognitive processes and contents
- synonyms of abstract thought: logical thinking / reasoning
- more generic terms: cerebration / intellection / mentation / thinking / thought / thought process = the process of using your mind to consider something carefully
- more specific terms:
- analytic thinking / analysis = the abstract separation of a whole into its constituent parts in order to study the parts and their relations
- line of reasoning / logical argument / argumentation / argument / line = a course of reasoning aimed at demonstrating a truth or falsehood
- conjecture = reasoning that involves the formation of conclusions from incomplete evidence
- deductive reasoning / deduction / synthesis = reasoning from the general to the particular
- inference / illation = the reasoning involved in drawing a conclusion or making a logical judgment on the basis of circumstantial evidence and prior conclusions rather than on the basis of direct observation
- anticipation / prediction / prevision = the act of predicting
- ratiocination = logical and methodical reasoning
- reasoning backward / regress = the reasoning involved when you assume the conclusion is true and reason backward to the evidence
- synthetic thinking / synthesis = the combination of ideas into a complex whole
Abstract Thought is a musical group.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abstract Thought
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Abstract thought is tied into the brain structures that underlie language and the conceptualization of categories of things. In some senses, this process derives the essential characteristics of whatever types of objects the brain ...
Encyclopedia of Counseling (2017)
Master Review and Tutorial for the National Counselor Examination, State Counseling Exams, and the Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Examination by Howard Rosenthal, Roger Williams Straus Professor of Social Science Howard Rosenthal
abstract thought. Expect to see a question ...
by Sana Loue, Martha Sajatovic
Progressing beyond the tangible characteristics in order to conceptualize theoretical relationships between items or processes involves abstract thought. Abstract thinking occurs conceptually, categorically, and generally. Conceptual ...
The Encyclopedia of Aging (2006)
Fourth Edition, 2-Volume Set by Richard Schulz
observed the same phenomena in a study in Central Asia, where uneducated workers were more likely to engage in concrete thought, while educated collective farm members were more prone to use abstract thought. Abstract ...
by Susan Krauss Whitbourne
observed the same phenomena in a study in Central Asia where uneducated peasants were more likely to engage in concrete thought and educated collective farm members were more prone to use abstract thought. Abstract ...
by D. Leigh, C.M. Pare, J. Marks
Abstract thought, when the capacity to fit objects into a general pattern develops. Concrete thinking may occur in both organic and functional disorders. SEE ALSO Thought, Thinking, and Conceptual thinking. Concussion Concussion is the ...
by Elmar Waibl
H concrete thinking abstract thought —> abstract thinking abstract universal ' abstraktes Allgemeines n (met) ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abstract Thought
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abstract Thought
Click on an item to view that photo:
Abstract Thought Cloud
Photo credit: bixentro
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Abstract Thought
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abstract Thought to see it in context!