On this page:
Definition of the noun abu sayyaf
What does abu sayyaf mean as a name of something?
- a small gang of terrorist thugs claiming to seek a separate Islamic state for the Muslim minority in the Philippines; uses bombing and assassination and extortion and kidnapping
- example: In 2001 Abu Sayyaf kidnapped twenty people and beheaded one of the American captives
- region: Philippines / Republic of the Philippines
- domain: act of terrorism / terrorism / terrorist act
- lexical domain: Groups - nouns denoting groupings of people or objects
- synonym of Abu Sayyaf: Bearer of the Sword
- instance of: foreign terrorist organization / FTO / terrorist group / terrorist organization = a political movement that uses terror as a weapon to achieve its goals
Abu Sayyaf a.k.a. Abu-Sayyaf is the representation of a member of the Islamist separatist and terrorist group Abu-Sayyaf in the reenactment of events in the 2007 documentary film Stalking Jihad.
Abu Sayyaf is a militant Islamist group based in and around Jolo and Basilan, where for more than four decades, Moro groups have been engaged in an insurgency for an independent province in the country. The name of the group is derived from the Arabic ابو, abu and sayyaf.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abu Sayyaf
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Artemio R. Guillermo
by Stephen Sloan, Sean K. Anderson
ABU SAYYAF GROUP (ASG). The Abu Sayyaf Group is a faction that split from the Moro Liberation Front (MLF) in 1991, apparently due to disagreements over the MLF's negotiations with the Philippine government. Originally led by Abdulrajik ...
by Olivier Roy, Antoine Sfeir
situation was further confused by government action against Abu Sayyaf and JI groups. In November 2006, talks were continuing. A decision by the government to drop charges against Al Haj Murad Ibrahim in connection with bombings in ...
by Carl Skutsch
were released, or left behind when they were wounded in gun battles, and the Abu Sayyaf continued to add local hostages to the group. This caseisone of the reasons American advisors were sent to the Philippines to train government ...
Encyclopedia of Terrorism (2002)
by Harvey W Kushner
The Abu Sayyaf Group is a Muslim terrorist organization based on Basilan Island, one of the southern islands in the Philippine archipelago. Since the mid1990s, the group, whose origins are somewhat obscure, has carried out terrorist attacks ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abu Sayyaf
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abu Sayyaf
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Ericsson Beach
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Quotes about Abu Sayyaf
Couldn't select: Table './citatep_en/citatepedia' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abu Sayyaf to see it in context!