Abyss appears in the following palindromes (phrases that read the same backward as forward):
- Pussy ban at Esmae’s: a seam set an abyss up.
- "Reviled, I won Pussy banal life, but animals I slam in a tube fill an abyss up now," I deliver.
On this page:
- Definition of the noun abyss
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abyss
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abyss
- Photos about Abyss
- Videos about Abyss
- Quotes about Abyss
- Scrabble value of A1B3Y4S1S1
- Anagrams of ABYSS
- Share this page
Abyss (an extremely deep hole) is considered to be an advanced word, according to the Kaplan GRE Exam Vocabulary in a Box, which includes 500 college- and graduate-level words that frequently appear on the Graduate Record Exam.
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun abyss
What does abyss mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: abysses
- a bottomless gulf or pit; any unfathomable (or apparently unfathomable) cavity or chasm or void extending below (often used figuratively)
- examples: She was in an abyss of despair. | Call him an abyss - how deep he is! | One step further, and you will fall into an abyss. | He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. | It's a dark abyss or tunnel Strewn with stones like rowlock, gunwale, | Don't look into the abyss. Otherwise, the abyss will gaze into you. | There are no shortcuts to the peak, only to the abyss. | Defeated, the ex-champion fell into the abyss of despair | I'm alone standing at the tip of the slow-dying year, the universe breack in waves at my feet, planets whirl about my head, rumpling my hair in the wind that rushes by, whithout giving an answer that would fill the abyss. | Between me and my consciousness is an abyss.
- lexical domain: Natural Objects - nouns denoting natural objects (not man-made)
- synonym of abyss: abysm
- more generic word: chasm = a deep opening in the earth's surface
Alternative definition of the noun abyss
- A bottomless or unfathomed depth, gulf, or chasm; hence, any deep, immeasurable, and, specifically, hell, or the bottomless pit.
- Infinite time; a vast intellectual or moral depth.
- [heraldry] The center of an escutcheon.
- Abyss: Chris J. Parks, better known by his ring name "The Monster" Abyss, is an American professional wrestler signed with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling.
- also known as Prince Justice; Chris Justice; Chris J. Parks; Chris Park; Mr. Joseph Park, Esq.; Abismo; King of Pain; Chris Abyss; Cleage; The Original Terminator; Chris Mitchell; "The Monster" Abyss; "The Weapon of Mass Destruction"; "The Monster of the Rings˝; King Justice; The Monster; Christopher J. "Chris" Parks; Justice; Christopher J. Parks
- born on (42 years ago) in Washington, D.C.
- nationality: United States of America
- education: Ohio University
- profession: Wrestler, actor
- Marriage with Amber Parks since
- Abyss is a musical artist, musician.
- born on (43 years ago)
- read more about Abyss (musical artist)
- Abyss a.k.a. The Abyss was a Swedish black metal side-project from 1994-1998, by members of Swedish death metal band, Hypocrisy. They recorded two albums, The Other Side was the first album recorded in The Abyss studio.
- read more about The Abyss
- Abyss a.k.a. Atlantis Chronicles is a musical group.
- read more about Atlantis Chronicles
- Abyss is a musical group.
- Abyss is a musical group.
- albums: "The Reins of Horror", "Heretical Anatomy"
- Abyss is a musical group.
- album: "Mental Self-Destruction"
- official website: abyssanizer.prv.pl
- Abyss is a fictional character, a mutant in the Marvel Comics Universe. An alternate universe's counterpart of the character first appeared in X-Men Alpha, and the heroic Marvel Universe version of the character first appeared in Cable vol. 2, #40.
- Abyss is a fictional character that appears in Marvel Comics.
- "Abyss" is a Star Trek: Deep Space Nine novel written by David Weddle and Jeffrey Lang. It is part of the Star Trek: Section 31 miniseries and forms an early part of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine relaunch, developing some of the characters and plot lines introduced in the preceding Avatar books 1 and 2.
- "Abyss" is a book published in 2009 that was written by Troy Denning.
- language: English Language
- released in (6 years ago)
- "Abyss" is a book by Kate Wilhelm.
- also known as "Abyss; two novellas"; Abyss Two Novellas
- genre: Speculative fiction
- copyright: 1971
- "Abyss" is a book by C. P. Idyll.
- also known as "Abyss: the deep sea and the creatures that live in it"; "Abyss, the deep sea and the creatures that live in it"
- copyright: 1964
"Abyss" a.k.a. "The Abyss" is a 1989 American science fiction-adventure film written and directed by James Cameron, starring Ed Harris, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, and Michael Biehn. When an American submarine sinks in the Atlantic, the US search and recovery team works with an oil platform crew, racing against Russian vessels to recover the ship. Deep in the ocean, they encounter a new and mysterious species.
- also known as 深渊
- country: United States of America
- language: English Language
- producers: Van Ling & Gale Anne Hurd
- production design by Leslie Dilley
- written by James Cameron
- cinematography by Mikael Salomon
- edited by Conrad Buff IV
- music by Alan Silvestri
- genres: Science Fiction, Thriller, Adventure Film, Action Film, Drama
- subject: Scuba diving
- There's everything you've ever known about adventure, and then there's...
- Deep below the blue surface, there lies a place no one has ever dreamed of.....
- A place on earth more awesome than anywhere in space.
- There's everything you've ever known about adventure, and then there's The Abyss.
- rating: PG-13 (USA)
- released on (26 years ago)
- some of the awards:
- Academy Award for Best Cinematography nomination for Mikael Salomon
- American Society of Cinematographers Award for Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography in Theatrical Releases nomination for Mikael Salomon
- Academy Award for Best Production Design nomination for Anne Kuljian & Leslie Dilley
- Academy Award for Best Sound Mixing nomination for Kevin F. Cleary, Don Bassman, Richard Overton & Lee Orloff
- Academy Award for Best Visual Effects nomination for Hoyt Yeatman, Dennis Skotak, Dennis Muren & John Bruno
- Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, received by Hoyt Yeatman, Dennis Muren, John Bruno & Dennis Skotak
- Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation nomination for James Cameron
- Saturn Award for Best Director, received by James Cameron
"Abyss" is an adventure computer game released in 1984.
- mode: Single-player video game
- developer: Cases Computer Simulations
- genres: Adventure game, Action-adventure game, Educational game
- publisher: Cases Computer Simulations
- released in (31 years ago)
- "Abyss" is the fourth album by British heavy metal band Lionsheart, released by Metaledge Records on 24 June 2004.
- "Abyss" is a musical album of Apocalyptic Fire.
- released in (7 years ago)
- "Abyss" is a composition, cataloged instance.
- "Abyss" is a musical album of Chelsea Wolfe.
- released on
- "Abyss" is a musical album of Nailed to Obscurity.
- released on (8 years ago)
- "ABYSS" is a musical album of PASTEL GHOST.
- released on
- "ABYSS" is a musical album of Asriel.
- released on
- "Abyss" is a musical EP of Dies Natalis.
- released in (13 years ago)
- "Abyss" is a musical album of Neptune's Inferno.
- "Abyss" is a musical single of Nasis & Ryme Tyme.
- released on (15 years ago)
- "Abyss" is a musical album of Jacques Schwarz-Bart.
- released on (6 years ago)
- "Abyss" is a musical album of Chihiro Yamanaka.
- released on (8 years ago)
Abyss is a steel roller coaster located at the Adventure World amusement park in Perth, Western Australia. The $12-million attraction was announced in April 2013, and construction began the following month. Six months later, the ride opened to the general public on 1 November 2013.
- Abyss: In religion, an abyss is a bottomless pit, or also a chasm that may lead to the underworld, the ocean floor or hell.
- Abyss: In the Dungeons & Dragons fantasy role-playing game, the Abyss, or more fully, the Infinite Layers of the Abyss, is a chaotic evil-aligned plane of existence. It is one of a number of alignment-based Outer Planes that form part of the standard Dungeons & Dragons cosmology, used in the Planescape and Greyhawk campaign settings. The Abyss is also the name of one of the faith-based outer planes that form part of the Forgotten Realms cosmology. While the published 3rd-Edition source books indicate that the Abyss of the standard D&D cosmology is not the same plane as the Abyss of the Forgotten Realms cosmology, they are for all practical purposes identical.
- Abyss: In Thelemic mysticism, the Abyss is the great gulf or void between the phenomenal world of manifestation and its noumenal source.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abyss
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Apocalyptic Bodies (2002)
The Biblical End of the World in Text and Image by Tina Pippin
The abyss is a place of difference - different from any other place.
Godhead and the Nothing (2012)
by Thomas J. J. Altizer
Perhaps abyss is a true name of Spinoza's “God,” even as it is of that uniquely modern epiphany of God which Hegel could...
A Magical Primer by John Bonner
Whereas the Abyss is an actual part of the architecture of the Tree, the veils described here are perhaps more subjective...
The Abyss is the line of demarcation between the combined Atziluthic and Briatic worlds above and the worlds below.
by Ph. D. James E. Smith
Abyss Rev: A transliteration of a Greek term used 8x in NIV although in the second occurrence in 9:2 the Gk. abussos does not appear. The word means literally, “without bottom.” In the first two uses (9:1, 2) the term is part of a phrase that ...
by William Stewart
oo Abyss A deep or seemingly bottomless chasm; an immeasurable depth (abyss of despair). Although the word is not used in the ...
A Dictionary of Gnosticism (2014)
by Andrew Phillip Smith
Abyss: The underworld, either related to or equivalent to (for example, in the * Tripartite Tractate) *Chaos, *Hades, and the outer darkness. The Abyss is often seen as preexisting the *demiurge. In the *Secret Book of John, five kings are set by ...
Dr Dale's Zombie Dictionary (2010)
The A-Z Guide to Staying Alive by Dr Dale Seslick
An abyss,as describedin theCollins dictionary,is a very deephole or chasm, and you most certainly wouldn't wanttoendup inoneof those during the days of the dead. Abyss, however, is also a very atmospheric word that can be used when you ...
Lexicon Technicum (1708)
Or, An Universal English Dictionary of Arts and Sciences : Explaining Not Only the Terms of Art, But the Arts Themselves by John Harris
SPR SPR this Subterraneous Heat which evaporates and elevatcs the Waters of the Abyss, buoying it up indifferently on all Sides, and towards all parts of the Surface of the Globe. , That this rising Vapour, orWater, pervades not only the ...
Abyss, in a more particular sense, denotes a deep mass or fund of waters. In this sense, the word is particularly used in the Septuagint, for □ the water which God created at the beginning with the earth, which encompassed it round, and which ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abyss
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abyss
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: Darinka Maja
Photo credit: sarae
Photo credit: alq666
Photo credit: dwitko
Photo credit: MikeKalasnik
Photo credit: John Jewell
Photo credit: mitch_peanut
etching on paper
Photo credit: eryn.rickard
Photo credit: Dawrky
Whale bone, detail
Photo credit: cosciavecchia
Abyss Lightpole Tag
Photo credit: MoreFunkThanYou
Photo credit: hellonoelani
"In the age of the world's night, the abyss of the world must be experienced and endured" Martin Heidegger "What are Poets for?"
Photo credit: /\ \/\/ /\
Photo credit: Erwss, peace&love
Pyynikki, Tampere, Finland. There's many big stairs:)
Photo credit: mazahito
Photo credit: iwonderwhy~
Photo credit: bogenfreund
View more pictures about The Abyss.
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Videos about Abyss
Click on an item to play that video:
- Abyss Meaning
Video shows what abyss means. Hell; the bottomless pit; primeval chaos; a confined subterranean ocean.. A bottomless or unfathomed depth, gulf, or chasm; ...
- Tom Morran - Top 32, YCS Toronto Deck Profile & Explanation - Burning Abyss
- Abyss rising explanation
- Vocabulary Made Easy Meaning of Abyss, Synonyms, Antonyms and its Usage
- Yu-Gi-Oh Card Explanation (Dante, Traveler of the Burning Abyss)
Effect: Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz material from this card and choose a number from 1 to 3, then send that many cards from the top of your deck to the ...
- Oceanic abyss Meaning
Video shows what oceanic abyss means. A long, deep depression or trench in the ocean floor. Oceanic abyss Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio ...
- Straight "A" Vocab - Learn Vocabulary from a Pirate - Maelstrom, Abyss
Mr. "A" shares the Straight "A" Word of the Day! - Maelstrom, Abyss Is your vocabulary as strong as that of an 18th Century Pirate?
- Vocabulary Abyss
- Heathenry Iceland chatter 10 Understand names, concepts, meaning, abyss
- Tales of Abyss - Meaning of Birth
- First Abyss Rising Box Opening (looks at description)
- The Defective Dictionary Word: "Abyss"
- Tales of the black abyss, Lynn description, Lynn lines
View more videos about The Abyss.
See also the pronunciation examples of Abyss!
Quotes about Abyss
Scrabble value of A1B3Y4S1S1
The value of this 5-letter word is 10 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ABYSS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Abyss!
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abyss to see it in context!