On this page:
- Definition of the noun abyssinia
- Other definitions of abyssinia
- Phrases with Abyssinia
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abyssinia
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abyssinia
- Photos about Abyssinia
- Video about Abyssinia
- Scrabble value of A1B3Y4S1S1I1N1I1A1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun abyssinia
What does abyssinia mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- Ethiopia is a republic in northeastern Africa on the Red Sea; formerly called Abyssinia
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of Abyssinia: Ethiopia / Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia / Yaltopya
- instance of: African country / African nation = any one of the countries occupying the African continent
- part of: Horn of Africa / Somali peninsula = a peninsula of northeastern Africa (the easternmost part of Africa) comprising Somalia and Djibouti and Eritrea and parts of Ethiopia; Africa = the second largest continent
- member: Ethiopian = a native or inhabitant of Ethiopia
Alternative definition of the noun abyssinia
- Historical name of Ethiopia.
Other definitions of abyssinia
What does abyssinia also mean?
- [slang] [Expression of farewell] (because it sounds like "I’ll be seeing ya").
"Abyssinia" is a 1993 film directed by Francesco Ranieri Martinotti.
- also known as Abissinia
- country: Italy
- genre: Drama
- "Abyssinia" is a musical with music by Ted Kociolek, lyrics by James Racheff, and a book by both Racheff and Kociolek, based on the novel Marked by Fire, by Joyce Carol Thomas.
- "Abyssinia" is a book by Ursula Dubosarsky.
- genre: Children's literature
- subjects: Young adult, Classics
- Abyssinia is a battle honour awarded to units of the British Indian Army and the British Army which participated in the 1868 campaign to free Europeans held hostage in Abyssinia by Emperor Tewodros II. The success of the expedition led to the award of this honour to units of the British Indian Army which had participated in the campaign. The units belonged, with the exception of the Madras Sappers, to the Bengal and Bombay Presidency Armies.
- Abyssinia is a 1988 theater production of the play by Ted Kociolek and James Racheff.
- Helen Hayes Awards for outstanding Supporting Performer, Visiting Production (for the production at the Arena Stage) nomination for Fannie Green
- Helen Hayes Awards for Outstanding Director, Non-Resident Production (for the production at the Arena Stage) nomination for Tazewell Thompson
- Helen Hayes Awards for Outstanding Lead Actress, Non-Resident Production (for the production at the Arena Stage) nomination for Tina Fabrique
Phrases with Abyssinia
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abyssinia
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Abyssinia's Samuel Johnson (2012)
Ethiopian Thought in the Making of an English Author by Wendy Laura Belcher
Conclusion In other words, however much A Voyage to Abyssinia is a European projection, it is also possessed...
A New Geography on the Comparative Method, with Maps and Diagrams and an Outline of Commercial Geography (1895)
by John Miller Dow Meiklejohn
Abyssinia is a mountainous country — a land of lakes, mountains, and mountain- torrents — which lies to the south-east of Nubia. It is an immense pear-shaped mountain-clump ; and is often called the " African Switzerland." It is an enormous ...
A - Andes by Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge
Abyssinia is an alpine country, of high table-land, north of the equator, and containing the sources of two of the largest branches of the Nile, the Tacazze, and the Bahr el Azrek or Abawi, besides the Mareb. Its nearest approach to the sea is in ...
Abyssinia is an alpine country, of high ...
Ancient Geography (1835)
As Connected with Chronology, and Preparatory to the Study of Ancient History; Accompanied with an Atlas. Compiled Chiefly from D'Anville, Adam, Lavoisne, Malte Brun, and Other Standard Works. To which are Added Problems on the Globes, and Rules for the Construction of Maps. To Accompany the Modern Geography by William C. Woodbridge by Emma Willard
Abyssinia is a mountainous country, but the elevations are not considerable, except on the borders. The declivities are gentle, and afford fine situations for tillage, and the erection of towns. The climate is on the whole fine, from the coolness ...
Accompanied by Modern and Ancient Atlases ... by William Channing Woodbridge, Emma Willard
ABYSSINIA. Abyssinia is a mountainous country, but the elevations are not considerable, ...
by William Channing Woodbridge
ABYSSINIA. Abyssinia is a mountainous country, but the elevations are not ...
Exporters' Encyclopaedia (1917)
Addis Abeba, Abyssinia. . (.via D Jibuti) Adowa, Abyssinia (via Massowah) Akoum, Abyssinia .... (via Massowah) Ambobibe, Madagascar . (wo Tamatave) Amirante Islands (Br.) (via Mombassa) Analalave, Madagascar, (via Tamatave) Ankober ...
Origins, Experiences, and Culture by Carole Elizabeth Boyce Davies
Abyssinia, which is known today as Ethiopia, was a land of great history, power, and rich culture. Ethiopia is a federal democratic republic with nine regions. It is bordered by Eritrea and Djibouti in the north, Sudan in the west, Somalia in the ...
Encyclopaedia Perthensis; Or Universal Dictionary of the Arts, Sciences, Literature, &c. Intended to Supersede the Use of Other Books of Reference (1816)
Abyssinia abounds with a vast variety of quadrupeds both wild and tame. Immense numbers of cattle every where appear, some of them the most beautiful in the world.
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abyssinia
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abyssinia
Click on an item to view that photo:
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Abyssinia
Video shows what Abyssinia means. Historical name of Ethiopia.. Abyssinia Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Abyssinia.
See also the pronunciation examples of Abyssinia!
Scrabble value of A1B3Y4S1S1I1N1I1A1
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abyssinia to see it in context!