On this page:
- Definition of the noun abyssinia
- Other definitions of abyssinia
- Phrases with Abyssinia
- Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abyssinia
- Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abyssinia
- Photos about Abyssinia
- Video about Abyssinia
- Scrabble value of A1B3Y4S1S1I1N1I1A1
- Share this page
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun abyssinia
What does abyssinia mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- Ethiopia is a republic in northeastern Africa on the Red Sea; formerly called Abyssinia
- lexical domain: Locations - nouns denoting spatial position
- synonyms of Abyssinia: Ethiopia / Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia / Yaltopya
- instance of: African country / African nation = any one of the countries occupying the African continent
- part of: Horn of Africa / Somali peninsula = a peninsula of northeastern Africa (the easternmost part of Africa) comprising Somalia and Djibouti and Eritrea and parts of Ethiopia; Africa = the second largest continent
- member: Ethiopian = a native or inhabitant of Ethiopia
Alternative definition of the noun abyssinia
- Historical name of Ethiopia.
Other definitions of abyssinia
What does abyssinia also mean?
- [slang] [Expression of farewell] (because it sounds like "I’ll be seeing ya").
"Abyssinia" is a 1993 film directed by Francesco Ranieri Martinotti.
- also known as Abissinia
- country: Italy
- genre: Drama
- "Abyssinia" is a musical with music by Ted Kociolek, lyrics by James Racheff, and a book by both Racheff and Kociolek, based on the novel Marked by Fire, by Joyce Carol Thomas.
- "Abyssinia" is a book by Ursula Dubosarsky.
- genre: Children's literature
- subjects: Young adult, Classics
- Abyssinia is a battle honour awarded to units of the British Indian Army and the British Army which participated in the 1868 campaign to free Europeans held hostage in Abyssinia by Emperor Tewodros II. The success of the expedition led to the award of this honour to units of the British Indian Army which had participated in the campaign. The units belonged, with the exception of the Madras Sappers, to the Bengal and Bombay Presidency Armies.
- Abyssinia is a 1988 theater production of the play by Ted Kociolek and James Racheff.
- Helen Hayes Awards for outstanding Supporting Performer, Visiting Production (for the production at the Arena Stage) nomination for Fannie Green
- Helen Hayes Awards for Outstanding Director, Non-Resident Production (for the production at the Arena Stage) nomination for Tazewell Thompson
- Helen Hayes Awards for Outstanding Lead Actress, Non-Resident Production (for the production at the Arena Stage) nomination for Tina Fabrique
Phrases with Abyssinia
Phrases starting with the word Abyssinia:
Phrases ending with the word Abyssinia:
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Abyssinia
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by John Miller Dow Meiklejohn
L The Country — Abyssinia is a mountainous country — a bind of lakes, mountains, and mountain-torrents — which lies to the south-east of Nubia. It is an immense pear-shaped mountain-clump ; arid is often called the " African Switzerland.
Abyssinia's Samuel Johnson (2012)
Ethiopian Thought in the Making of an English Author by Wendy Laura Belcher
Conclusion In other words, however much A Voyage to Abyssinia is a European projection, it is also possessed...
A New Geography on the Comparative Method, with Maps and Diagrams and an Outline of Commercial Geography (1895)
by John Miller Dow Meiklejohn
Abyssinia is a mountainous country — a land of lakes, mountains, and mountain- torrents — which lies to the south-east of Nubia. It is an immense pear-shaped mountain-clump ; and is often called the " African Switzerland." It is an enormous ...
Exporters' Encyclopaedia (1920)
Hoktara, Abyssinia...... (via Djibuti) Inhangoma, Portuguese East Africa— (via Quilimane) Kampala, British East Africa— (via Mombassa) Kampala, Uganda..... (via Quilimane) Karonga British Central Africa— (via Quilimane) Karem, ...
by Josiah Conder
ABYSSINIA. The Upper Ethiopia of ancient geography ; an ex- 9a>ive kingdom of Africa, lying between the parallels of 7° and 15° N., and the meridians of 32° and 42° E. It is bounded by Sennaar on the earth. the Red Sea on the east, ...
The Catholic Encyclopedia (1913)
An International Work of Reference on the Constitution, Doctrine, Discipline, and History of the Catholic Church by Charles George Herbermann, Edward Aloysius Pace, Condé Bénoist Pallen, Thomas Joseph Shahan, John Joseph Wynne
The Ilchagui, or Ethiopian Archbishop, is the second religious personage in Abyssinia. The Ethiopian primate is forbidden by the Patriarch of Alexandria to consecrate more than seven bishops, but there are a considerable number of secular ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Abyssinia
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Abyssinia
Click on an item to view that photo:
Photo credit: yellow book
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video about Abyssinia
Video shows what Abyssinia means. Historical name of Ethiopia.. Abyssinia Meaning. How to pronounce, definition audio dictionary. How to say Abyssinia.
See also the pronunciation examples of Abyssinia!
Scrabble value of A1B3Y4S1S1I1N1I1A1
The value of this 9-letter word is 14 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Abyssinia to see it in context!