On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun Acamas
What does Acamas mean as a name of something?
Acamas is a genus of Mycalidae, described by Duchassaing & Michelotti in 1864.
- synonym: genus Acamas
- kingdom: Animalia
- phylum: Porifera
- class: Demospongiae
- order: Poecilosclerida
- family: Mycalidae
- genus: Arenochalina
Acamas is a genus of Mollusca, described by de Montfort in 1808.
- Acamas, son of Antenor and Theano, was a participant in the Trojan War, and fought on the side of the Trojans. With his brother Archelochus and his cousin Aeneas, Acamas led the Dardanian contingent to assist King Priam. Along with Aeneas and Archelochus he led one of the five divisions attacking the Argive wall in the battle for the ships. He avenged the death of his brother, who had been killed by Ajax, by slaying Promachus the Boeotian. He was killed possibly by Meriones in book 16 of the Iliad, but the Acamas killed there was not specifically identified as a son of Antenor. Quintus of Smyrna describes him as having been killed by Philoctetes.
- Acamas was a name attributed to several characters in Greek mythology. The following three all fought in the Trojan War, and only the first was not mentioned by Homer.
- Acamas is a fictional character from the 2011 film Immortals.
- Acamas, the son of Phaedra and Theseus, and brother or half brother to Demophon, was a character in the Trojan War.
- also known as Acamas, son of Theseus
- Acamas was a British-bred French-trained Thoroughbred racehorse and sire. The last notable horse owned by the French breeder Marcel Boussac he showed promise as a two-year-old in 1977 when he finished a close third in the Grand Criterium. He reached his peak in the following year when he won the Prix Lupin and the Prix du Jockey Club, coming from an apparently impossible position in the latter race. He then finished second in the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes in England, but was later disqualified after failing a dope test. At the end of his three-year-old season he was retired to stud but proved largely infertile.
Phrases with Acamas
Phrases starting with the word Acamas:
Phrases ending with the word Acamas:
- Genus Acamas
- Entedon Acamas
- Omphale Acamas
- Papilio Acamas
- Apharitis Acamas
- Cigaritis Acamas
- Copelatus acamas
- Marquedryas acamas
- Caldencyrtus Acamas
- Species Entedon Acamas
- Species Omphale Acamas
- Species Papilio Acamas
- Species Apharitis Acamas
- Species Cigaritis Acamas
- Species Copelatus Acamas
Other phrases containing the word Acamas:
View more phrases with the word Acamas in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acamas
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Sextus (Empiricus.), David L. Blank
Acamas is the westernmost promontory of Cyprus (Strabo 14. 6. 2 f.) and as such must have been the best known of Sextus' three topographical examples. Xenophanes of Colophon was born in the fortieth Olympiad: Clement of Alexandria ...
Excerpta Cypria (1908)
Acamas is a promontory showing two rounded hills and a vast forest, situated on the West of the island, and stretching northwards ; it is the nearest point to Selinus in Cilicia Tracheia, 1000 stadia distant; from Side in Pamphylia it is 1600, and ...
The Acamas is a promontory with two paps, and upon it is a large forest. It is situated at the western part of the island, but extends towards the north, approaching very near Selinus in Cilicia Tracheia, for the passage across is only 1000 stadia; ...
by Strabo of Amaseia
285* The Acamas is a promontory with two paps, and upon it is a large forest. It is situated at the western part of the ...
The Geography of Strabo (1857)
The Acamas is a promontory with two gaps, and upon it is a large forest. It is situated at the western part of the island, but extends towards the north , ...
ACAMAS, son of Theseus, and brother of ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acamas
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acamas
If you need images about Acamas for an article or a report, you can download stock photos at a very small price:
Scrabble value of A1C3A1M3A1S1
The value of this 6-letter word is 10 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Anagrams of ACAMAS
What do you get if you rearrange the letters?
See also the blanagrams of Acamas!
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Acamas to find many related words and phrases!