On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun Acanthaster planci
What does Acanthaster planci mean as a name of something?
Acanthaster planci is a species of Acanthaster, described by Linnaeus in 1758.
- synonyms: species Acanthaster planci / Acanthaster echinites / species Acanthaster echinites / Acanthaster echinus / species Acanthaster echinus / Acanthaster ellisi / species Acanthaster ellisi / Acanthaster ellisi pseudoplanci / subspecies Acanthaster ellisi pseudoplanci / Acanthaster mauritiensis / species Acanthaster mauritiensis / Acanthaster pseudoplanci / species Acanthaster pseudoplanci / Acanthaster solaris / species Acanthaster solaris / Asterias / species Asterias / Asterias echinites / species Asterias echinites / Asterias echinus / species Asterias echinus / Asterias planci / species Asterias planci / Asterias solaris / species Asterias solaris / Echinaster ellisi / species Echinaster ellisi / Echinaster solaris / species Echinaster solaris / Echinities solaris / species Echinities solaris / Stellonia echinites / species Stellonia echinites
- kingdom: Animalia
- phylum: Echinodermata
- class: Asteroidea
- order: Valvatida
- family: Acanthasteridae
- genus: Acanthaster
- observational distribution: specimen and observational data from the Global Biodiversity Information Facility Network (not necessarily true occurrence density gradients)
Count per one degree cell 1 - 9 10 - 99 100 - 999 1000 - 9999 10000 - 99999 100000+
"Acanthaster planci" is a book by Peter Moran.
- also known as "Acanthaster planci: an annotated bibliography"
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acanthaster planci
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
Structure, Form and Process by David Hopley
Acanthaster Planci, Figure 1 A crown-of-thorns feeding aggregation. Such outbreaks ofthe sea star are a major recurrent cause of coral mortality on coral reefs throughout the Indo-Pacific (photo: AIMS LTMP). reefs. Where adults have been ...
by Christopher G. Morris, Academic Press
Acanthaster Invertebrate Zoology, a genus of Indo-Pacific sea stars in the order Spinulosida, including the crown-of-thorns sea star, Acanthaster planci. which eats the reef-building coral polyps. Acanthaster acanthella Invertebrate Zoology, ...
by Encyclopaedia Britannica, Inc.
crown-of-thorns starfish Reddish and heavy-spined STARFISH (Acanthaster planci) that has 12–19 arms and is often 18 in. (45 cm) across.
Eleventh Edition by Merriam-Webster
a starfish (Acanthaster planci) of the Pacific region that is covered with long spines and feeds on coral polyps sometimes causing destruction of ...
The First Dictionary For The Internet Age by Anne H. Soukhanov
Acanthaster planci. 2 SHRUB WITH SCARLET BRACTS a shrub grown as a house plant or as a hedge in tropical areas. Flowers: with scarlet bracts. Native to : Madagascar. Euphorbia milii. 3 HEAVY BURDEN a painful or onerous burden 1 < ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acanthaster planci
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Acanthaster planci
Click on an item to view that photo:
- Acanthaster planci
Crown-of-thorns Sea Star
Photo credit: kahunapulej
- Crown-of-thorns (Acanthaster planci)
Church Reef, Pulau Sibuan, Sabah, MALAYSIA
Photo credit: berniedup
- Crown-of-thorns Starfish (Acanthaster planci,)
Some of these reef muchers have a bright warning color.
Photo credit: kris-mikael.krister
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Video language resources about Acanthaster planci
Click on an item to play that video:
- The crown of thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci )
The crown of thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci ) are one of the oceans most efficient coral predators. They can grow to more than 1 m in diameter; have 16 to 18 ...
- Crown of Thorn Starfish (Acanthaster planci)
Recorded on May 23, 2010 using a Flip Video camcorder.
- Crown-of-Thorns starfish (Acanthaster planci) of Moalboal
Rems Production and Dive College present this weird looking creature that eats coral reefs, the Crow-of-Thorns starfish.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Acanthaster planci to see it in context!