On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun acanthopterygii
What does acanthopterygii mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- teleost fishes having fins with sharp bony rays
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Acanthopterygii: superorder Acanthopterygii
- more generic term: animal order = the order of animals
- member of: subclass Teleostei / Teleostei = large diverse group of bony fishes
- order Berycomorphi / Berycomorphi = an order of spiny-finned fish in the superorder Acanthopterygii
- order Zeomorphi / Zeomorphi = dories
- order Pediculati / Pediculati = anglers and batfishes
- spiny-finned fish / acanthopterygian = a teleost fish with fins that are supported by sharp inflexible rays
- order Perciformes / order Percomorphi / Perciformes / Percomorphi = one of the largest natural groups of fishes of both marine and fresh water: true perches; basses
- order Discocephali / Discocephali = small order of fishes comprising the remoras
- order Scleroparei / Scleroparei = scorpionfishes; sculpins; gurnards; greenlings
- suborder Scorpaenoidea / Scorpaenoidea = mail-cheeked fishes: scorpionfishes
- order Tetraodontiformes / order Plectognathi / Plectognathi = boxfishes; filefishes; globefishes; ocean sunfishes; triggerfishes
- order Pleuronectiformes / order Heterosomata / Heterosomata = flatfishes: halibut; sole; flounder; plaice; turbot
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Acanthopterygii
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences and General Literature ... in Thirty Volumes with New American Supplement
Acanthopterygii Gastrosteiformes.—The spinous dorsal is composed of isolated spines, if present; the ventrals ...
Comprising the Twofold Advantage of a Philosophical and an Alphabetical Arrangement, with Appropriate Engravings by Edward Smedley, Hugh James Rose, Henry John Rose
In Zoology, a genus of animals belonging to the family Squammipennes, order Acanthopterygii, class Pisces. Generic character. Jaws furnished with a row ...
A Complete Encyclopedic Lexicon, Literary, Scientific, and Technological by John Ogilvie
A group of spine-finned osseous fishes, in modern classifications generally regarded as a sub-order of the order Tcleostci, and equivalent to the Acanthopterygii (which see). Acanthopterous (ak-an-thop'ter-us), a. Of or pertaining to the ...
The Nomenclator; a Technological Dictionary, Containing All the Principal Terms in Use in the Arts and Sciences, Etc (1841)
by Edward Scudamore
Class, Acanthopterygii; order, Sciaenidae, the family of Margus; sciaena aquila.
by William Rossiter
A fish, belonging to Acanthopterygii. Cosecant, ( eo-Be'kant ). [ Complement of secant, q.v.] In a right- angled triangle the cosecant of an angle is the ratio of the hypothenuse ...
The Encyclopaedia Britannica (1881)
A Dictionary of Arts, Sciences, and General Literature by Thomas Spencer Baynes
Acanthopterygii Mugiliformes.—Two dorsal fins more or less remote from each other ; the anterior either short, like the posterior, or composed of feeble spines. Ventral fins with one spine and five rays, abdominal. Family 1. Sphyrznidw.— Body ...
designed for the early student, and those who have not made progress in the science by George Roberts
- ACANTHOPTERYGII (oucav6a, acantha, a spine ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2003)
by Michael Allaby
Acanthopterygii Superorder of bony fish that includes all the spiny-finned fish ( e.g. *Perciformes and *Beryciformes). acanthosoma See postlarva. Acanthostega See Ichthyostega. Acanthuridae (surgeonfish, doctorfish; subclass *Actinopterygii , ...
Encyclopedia of Ecology (2014)
Gempylidae Scombroidei ——E Trichiuridae Scombridae Tunas, butterfly ® Actino te ii mackerel Gnathostomota up rygl — Neopterygii Acanthopterygii —— Perciformes Xiphiidae Swordfish g (ray-finned fish) —|: billfish Istiophun'dae Marlin, ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Acanthopterygii
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Scrabble value of A1C3A1N1T1H4O1P3T1E1R1Y4G2I1I1
The value of this 15-letter word is 26 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Acanthopterygii to find many related words and phrases!