On this page:
Accents a.k.a. The Accents was a doo-wop band during the 1950s. Its only popular song came out during the “sack” dress fad, and was entitled "Wiggle, Wiggle." The song was released in October, 1958, and contended that a girl didn’t have to be pretty, or wear good clothes; she just had to wear a “sack” dress, and “wiggle” where it showed the most.
- read more about The Accents
Accents are the distinctive variations in the pronunciation of a language. They can be native or foreign, local or national and can provide information about a person’s geographical locality, socio-economic status and ethnicity. The perception of accents involves the categorisation of speakers into social groups and entails judgments about the accented-speaker, including their status and personality. Accents can significantly alter the perception of an individual or an entire group, which is an important fact considering that the frequency that people with different accents are encountering one another is increasing, partially due to inexpensive international travel and social media. As well as affecting judgments, accents also affect key cognitive processes that are involved in a myriad of daily activities. The development of accent perception occurs in early childhood. Consequently, from a young age accents influence our perception of other people, decisions we make about when and how to interact with others, and, in reciprocal fashion, how other people perceive us.
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Accents
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
We generally reckon three grammatical accents in ordinary use, all borrowed from the Greeks, viz. the acute accent ('), which shows when the tone of the ...
by Edith Wen-Chu Chen
that indicate that in American society there exists a specific and focused revulsion among non-Asian Americans to Asian accents.6 At the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission Meeting in 2008, accent-related circumstances of ...
by Jean-Jacques Rousseau, William WARING (Translator.)
There are as many different Accents, as there are method: of modulating the voice thereunto, and there are as many various kinds os Accents as there are general causes for such modulaiions._ In common discourse, there arc, distinguished ...
The Edinburgh Encyclopaedia (1832)
Much controversy has arisen concerning both the origin and the use of the Hebrew accents. Some maintain, that they serve to distinguish the sense; while others allow them no other office than to regulate the musical cadence, or melody ; ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Accents
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Accents
Photo credit: Constantine Agustin
Video language resources about Accents
Click on an item to play that video:
- Caribbean English (what it sounds like, slang, accents)
- Slang, Lingo & Accents With Jack and Jack
THROWBACK: Clip from when Jack Johnson & Jack Gilinsky were a guest on Keeping Up With Cool! KeepingUpWithCool.tv.
- Intro to Accents 1: Idiolect, Dialect, & Accent
Introduction to Accents (1/7): The difference between Accent & Dialect, and moving from Idiolect to Accent to Idiolect. Jim Johnson from AccentHelp.com presents ...
- Milwaukee Accents/slang
Just trying to show how Some people from Milwaukee say certian words SOng is: The River by Good Charlotte.
- English in Zimbabwe: Accents, Sayings, Vocabulary
- TAG - Accents / Regional Dialect Canadian Style
Canadian Accents FTW Other tag participants: MiddleofMadness -...
- Medical terminology Funny accents Urinary System Shannon
Everyone is falling asleep at the end of the week in Med term unitl Shannon finds away to get everyone back on track, laughing and learning. She did a lot more ...
- Worldwide Accents project (WAP) Southern Illinois - Metro St. Louis, MO. USA dialect
The passage: See above those clouds, near where the blue sky appears to fold? Some say it is the entrance to the floating isles where pirates still rule the air ...
- How To Say Thank You - Accents / Regional Dialect Tag (YTO 58 Day 308)
Please make a video response & join in! How do YOU say these words: Garage herb schedule figure jaguar lieutenant water advertisement vase route ballet ...
- Regional Dialect Meme, Accent Tag (Multiple Accents)
- Tony Alcantar - Dialect Coach ... Tony Alcantar Dialect Coach: Full-Cast, Multiple Accents
- Regional dialect meme: Canadian meets UK accents Day 12
- Dialect Meme - Words, tongues & accents
- OoS Dialect/Accents Meme
- British v. American Slang/Accents
- Expressions: Slang, Age, Location, Accents
- The English Language in 24 Accents CENSORED VERSION!
This is the CLEAN Version of Truseneye92's 24 Accents Video for many of us who do not want to hear the Explicit Language. Be sure to view Truseneye92 ...
- A Variety of Regional British Accents - ESL British English Pronunciation
- 26 accents in the English language.
- Word stress problems and why English should have accents - ESL British English Pronunciation
- How to improve accents with Language Teacher Shana Thompson
- People's favorite English accents and language attitudes
- Language: Accents and Identity
- Language Learning- Accents
Linguist Bud Brown shares his insights into language learning with this video about speaking with an accent. Is it a good thing, a bad thing or does it matter if you ...
- How to type accents for foreign language Chromebooks
- The Attitude of Language, Accents and Other Misconceptions!
- On-screen keyboard problem with language-specific accents
Clean installation. No additional software, just screen recorder. Using usual USB keyboard with CES layout. Bug isn't version specific. Did the same thing on ...
- People's favorite English accents and their language attitudes
- Laura L. Watson's Language and Accents Demo Reel
- Language & Accents
View more videos about The Accents.
See also the pronunciation examples of Accents!
Quotes about Accents
Scrabble value of A1C3C3E1N1T1S1
The value of this 7-letter word is 11 points. It is included in the first and second editions of the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the usage examples of Accents to see it in context!