On this page:
|Play/pause||Buy footage||Find more|
Definition of the noun accipitridae
What does accipitridae mean as a name of something?
noun - plural: -
- hawks; Old World vultures; kites; harriers; eagles
- lexical domain: Animals - nouns denoting animals
- synonym of Accipitridae: family Accipitridae
- more generic term: bird family = a family of warm-blooded egg-laying vertebrates characterized by feathers and forelimbs modified as wings
- member of: Falconiformes / order Falconiformes = chiefly diurnal carnivorous birds having hooked beaks and long talons with opposable hind toe: falcons; hawks; eagles; ospreys; caracaras
- hawk = diurnal bird of prey typically having short rounded wings and a long tail
- genus Accipiter / Accipiter = type genus of the family Accipitridae
- genus Buteo / Buteo = broad-winged soaring hawks
- genus Pernis / Pernis = a common European bird of prey
- kite = any of several small graceful hawks of the family Accipitridae having long pointed wings and feeding on insects and small animals
- genus-Milvus / Milvus = a genus including the common European kits
- genus Elanoides / Elanoides = a genus of kites
- genus Elanus / Elanus = a genus of small kites of both Old and New Worlds
- genus Circus / Circus = a genus of haws comprising the harriers
- genus Circaetus / Circaetus = harrier eagles
- bird of Jove / eagle = any of various large keen-sighted diurnal birds of prey noted for their broad wings and strong soaring flight
- genus Harpia / Harpia = a genus of Accipitridae
- genus Aquila / Aquila = a genus of Accipitridae
- genus Haliaeetus / Haliaeetus = a genus of Accipitridae
- Old World vulture = any of several large vultures of Africa and Eurasia
- genus Gyps / Gyps = a genus of Accipitridae
- genus Gypaetus / Gypaetus = in some classifications the type genus of the family Aegypiidae
- genus Neophron / Neophron = a genus of Accipitridae
- genus Aegypius / Aegypius = a genus of Accipitridae
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Accipitridae
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Peter H. Barthel
The Accipitridae is a large and very diverse family containing a range of different species from the small Sparrowhawk, slender harriers and broad-winged buzzards, to the large eagles and mainly scavenging vultures. lt is often more difficult to ...
The Arctic Guide (2016)
Wildlife of the Far North by Sharon Chester
FAMILY ACCIPITRIDAE EAGLES, HAWKS, HARRIERS, ACCIPITERS The Accipitridae is a family of small to large birds with large hooked bills, strong sharp talons, and rounded tails. The long, broad wings are carried flat or at a slight upward ...
The Rise of Birds (2015)
225 Million Years of Evolution by Sankar Chatterjee
With 235 species, the Accipitridae is the largest family of the ...
Birds of Venezuela (2002)
by Steven L. Hilty
Gavilanes, Aguilas The Accipitridae is a large, well-known family of diurnal predators found throughout the world. They all possess a strong hooked bill and strong feet with sharp claws, but they are heterogeneous in appearance and behavior.
Encyclopedia of Evolution (2009)
by Stanley A. Rice
and the Old World (the family Accipitridae is a type of hawk). Coevolution between ...
by R P Manchanda
gruiformes Crow Corvous corone Cuckoo Cuculidae cuculiformes Dove Columbidae columbiformes Eagle Aquila accipitridae Gull Larus canus Hawk Diurnus accipitridae Humming Bird Triochilidae apodiformes Kiwi Apteryx apterygiformes ...
A Dictionary of Zoology (2003)
by Michael Allaby
See Accipitridae. hawkfish See Cirrhitidae. hawk moths See Sphingidae. hawks See Falconiformes. Accipitridae ...
Oxford Dictionary of English (2010)
by Angus Stevenson
3Family Accipitridae: Harpia harpyja of South America, the largest eagle, and Harpyopsis novaeguineae of New Guinea. harquebus /ˈhɑːkwɪbəs/ 7noun variant spelling of ARQUEBUS. harridan /ˈharɪd(ə)n/ 7noun a strict, bossy, or belV- ...
by Christopher G. Morris, Academic Press
Accipitridae Vertebrate Zoology, a family of birds in the order Falconi- formes; its nine diverse subfamilies include Old World vultures, kites, hawks, and eagles. acciptor Vertebrate Zoology, any of various bird-eating, short-winged hawks of the ...
by Shatrughna Prasad Sinha
Accipitridae. The monotypic genus Gypaetus is widespread in Eurasia as well as in the Afrotropical montane ...
The Encyclopedia of Falconry (2000)
by Adrian Walker
ACCIPITRIDAE The family which contains (among others) the genera Accipiter, Buteo, Para buteo, Aquila, Spizaetus ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Accipitridae
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photos about Accipitridae
Click on an item to view that photo:
Accipitridae - Collared Sparrowhawk
Photo credit: sunphlo
If you need related images for an article or a report, you can download stock photos:
Scrabble value of A1C3C3I1P3I1T1R1I1D2A1E1
The value of this 12-letter word is 19 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Accipitridae to find many related words and phrases!