On this page:
- Achaea or Achaia, sometimes transliterated from Greek as Akhaïa, is one of the regional units of Greece. It is part of the region of West Greece and is situated in the northwestern part of the Peloponnese peninsula. The capital is Patras. Since 2001, the population has exceeded 300,000.
- Achaea or Achaia, sometimes transliterated from Greek as Akhaïa, was a province of the Roman Empire, consisting of the Peloponnese, eastern Central Greece, and parts of Thessaly. In the north, it bordered on the provinces of Epirus vetus and Macedonia. The region was annexed by the Roman Republic in 146 BC following the sack of Corinth by the Roman general Lucius Mummius, who was awarded the cognomen "Achaicus".
- also known as 亚该亚
- founded in 0145 B.C. (2160 years ago)
- part of Greece
- Achaea or Achaia was the northernmost region of the Peloponnese, occupying the coastal strip north of Arcadia. Its approximate boundaries were to the south the mountain range of Erymanthus, to the south-east the range of Cyllene, to the east Sicyon, and to the west the Larissos river. Apart from the plain around Dyme, to the west, Achaea was generally a mountainous region.
There are other places with in their name, like West Achaea.
- Achaea is a genus of moths of the Noctuidae family.
- Achaea is an organization in fiction.
- Achaea is an ancient Greek region most famous from Homer's Iliad and a military combatant in the Sacred Band of Stepsons fictional universe.
Phrases with Achaea
- Achaea Ino
- Achaea Dmoe
- Achaea Echo
- Achaea Ezea
- Achaea Orea
- Achaea Boris
- Achaea Demta
- Achaea Durfa
- Achaea Faber
- Achaea Lenzi
- Achaea Leona
- Achaea Locra
- Achaea Mania
- Achaea Obvia
- Achaea Serva
- Achaea Busira
- Achaea Canuta
- Achaea Ficita
- Achaea Finita
- Genus Achaea
View more phrases with the word Achaea in thesaurus!
Printed dictionaries and other books with definitions for Achaea
Click on a title to look inside that book (if available):
by Victor A. Neufeldt
Achaea is a district on the northern coast of the Peleponnesus, but in Homer and for the Romans, it referred to Greece generally as Branwell uses it here. 8 One of the chief Persian instigators of the expedition against Greece. 9 An inhabitant ...
by Clyde E. Fant, Mitchell G. Reddish
Corinth became a member of the Achaean League (Achaea refers to southern Greece), and for half a century the city ...
by Kurt A. Raaflaub, Hans van Wees
Even among such uncertainties Achaea is a particularly difficult problem since the concept of Achaean identity probably developed before the archaic period, but the region is not a natural geographical unity and how political communities ...
by Mike Dixon-Kennedy
Achaea. 1. Greek An area in ancient (and modern) Greece of the north Peloponnesos, on the southern border of the Gulf of Corinth. The Achaeans were the dominant society during the Mycenaean period and, according to Homer, took part in ...
by Simon Hornblower, Antony Spawforth, Esther Eidinow
Achaea was settled from the palaeolithic period. During the late bronze age, numerous graves plus settlements (e.g. Aegira and Katarraktis) and the fortification of Teichos Dymaion indicate ...
by O. P. Singh, S. K. Srivastava
Castor scmilooper: Achaea Janata Linnaeus (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae). It is a serious of castor in all parts of India and Pakistan and has also been reported from Sri Lanka, and Thailand. The larvae feed on foliage whereas adult moths of this ...
Encyclopædia metropolitana; or, Universal dictionary of knowledge, ed. by E. Smedley, Hugh J. Rose and Henry J. Rose. [With] Plates (1845)
by Edward Smedley
ofAuJris- Hitherto, however, Achaea and the rest of Greece *'"* still enjoyed a nominal independence, notwithstanding the real supremacy of the Roman power . But within little more than twenty years from the overthrow of Perseus, even these ...
A Dictionary of Entomology (2011)
LIENHARD'S ACHAEA Achaea lienardi (Boisduval) [Lepidoptera: Nocutuidae]. Endemic to tropical Africa and adventive to Costa Rica. A pest of numerous fruits and vegetables. LIENIG, FRIEDERIKE (–1858) (Reichenbach 1846, Allg. dt.
Revised Full-Color Edition by Merrill C. Tenney
Achaea. See ACHAIA. Achaemenidsuhkee'muhnuhd. Dynasticname(from a7thcent. kingnamed Achaemenes)applied tothe rulers of the Persian Empire. See PERSIA III.C. Achaia uhkay'uh ('A G938). Also Achaea. A Roman province that ...
Online dictionaries and encyclopedias with entries for Achaea
Click on a label to prioritize search results according to that topic:
Photo about Achaea
Noctuid Moth (Achaea serva)
Permai Rainforest Resort, Santubong Peninsula North of Kuching, Sarawak, MALAYSIA
Photo credit: berniedup
Scrabble value of A1C3H4A1E1A1
The value of this 6-letter word is 11 points, but it's not an accepted word in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary.
Share this page
Go to the thesaurus of Achaea to find many related words and phrases!